m43 arrived

By your picture it doesn't look like it's all that too small.

As far as imperfections go.... None are exactly perfect, as these are handmade items made in a 3rd world country with basic tools and fly halfway around the world before they even get here for sale.
there are nail holes in the handle (that weren't mentioned). Like finishing nail size ..the little ones. I'll just put some of that epoxy stuff in there that people use for cracks.

EDIT: bah...i tried to post a pic. But my camera refuses to focus. I'll try later i've got work to get done this afternoon. Anyways ..3 small finishing nail holes.

EDIT: pics (terrible camera, please excuse quality)

PICT0038_zps97107099.jpg

PICT0039_zps7699f963.jpg

Last edited:
If you are not comfortable with M-43 handle send it back to HI for exchange
We want our customer to be completely happy with HI knife!

I had a feeling Auntie would be along on this deal.

See if you can get that kind of offer anywhere else in the whole wide world.

Auntie rocks!

Bawanna is right!!! One will never get this service...Typically, you buy it, you own it...Can not say enough good about HI!!!

here's a slightly clearer one

nail_holes_zps44cdf007.jpg

I think i may return it. I would have bought that beautiful gelbu special for $20 more offered on the same day (no contest) if i'd been made aware of this. I believe i will probably send it back for exchange or just pay the difference on a non-dotd.

And i found a fourth nail hole (though not as prominent as the other 3).

Thanks for the offer Auntie. I really appreciate that. I will send an email out Wednesday, as i am really busy till then.

Last edited:
here's a slightly clearer one

nail_holes_zps44cdf007.jpg

I think i may return it. I would have bought that beautiful gelbu special for $20 more offered on the same day (no contest) if i'd been made aware of this. I believe i will probably send it back for exchange or just pay the difference on a non-dotd.

And i found a fourth nail hole (though not as prominent as the other 3).

Thanks for the offer Auntie. I really appreciate that. I will send an email out Wednesday, as i am really busy till then.

I'm not sure those are "nail holes", I have a Thamar Dui Chirra with a cluster of them, and I'm pretty sure its a natural characteristic of the wood. I will say though, my "holes" are smaller than those in your pic.

FYI... Most villager fit and finish kukris will have minor imperfections here and there. The full polished models tend to have better attention to detail hence the higher price of admission.

I still to this day cannot believe the quality of work that comes out of HI shops. They aren't using CNC or any type of machinery at all. They are true artist with the ability to make beautiful artwork out of old used truck springs. I don't mind a little imperfection here and there. It just lends to the hand made allure. To each his own... but I think that villager fit and finish M43 is amazing.

I am totally with GB, I have a villager 18" Kumar M43 wood handled, and it's one of my favorites. I like it more than the fully polished ones.

Maybe the thing is villager finish, but that was not stated in the description (and i wouldn't know by looking). And these holes would've been clear if a pic was taken of the other side of the Kukri. I feel that 175 is too much when i see much better products coming along in that same price range. I'd rather pay 40 more for a 'full polish' as its called (and know exactly what im getting). ..but i'll take care of all this later. I've got stuff to do the next day or two.

here take a look
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1237061-Tirtha-s-Gelbu-Special-and-M-43

Maybe they aren't nail holes ...but it seems that a finishing nail fits pretty well down inside them. I assumed that one handle slab was a re-sourced piece of wood. Maybe not ...but thats the way it seems.

Last edited:
Maybe the thing is villager finish, but that was not stated in the description. And these holes would've been clear if a pic was taken of the other side of the Kukri. I feel that 175 is too much when i see much better products coming along in that same price range. I'd rather pay 40 more for a 'full polish' as its called. ..but i'll take care of all this later. I've got stuff to do the next day or two.

here take a look
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1237061-Tirtha-s-Gelbu-Special-and-M-43

Maybe they aren't nail holes ...but it seems that a finishing nail fits pretty well down inside them. I assumed that one handle slab was a re-sourced piece of wood. Maybe not ...but thats the way it seems.

It isn't listed as a villager model. Contact auntie, and I am sure she'll take care of you, more than you'd expect.

yep , I have never heard of auntie having a problem with fixing a customer's issue unless it was just silliness, have faith pinkeye though it has been a long journey, I think if you stick with it you will find some great stuff that you really enjoy owning

Keep in mind when you buy off the webstore your getting handpicked cream of the crop product. At least thats my experience. The only way HI can exist at all with hand crafted products is making some money off the not so perfect product as well. Here is where you get the deals on those pieces. I have gotten many items here that Aunti screened out for some reason that I found to be absolutely perfect and would have been happy as a clam if I had purchased it from the webstore. Most forumites understand that these blemishes can be easily repaired and touched up at home. If one is absolutely unable or unwilling to do some blem repairs then they might consider buying from the HI website only. Tough call when the price is only $20-$40 difference but if it dont work out you have to admit HI's customer service will always do anything reasonable and then some to make you a happy customer.

Sometimes the deals of the day are super deals. I inquired about a Manakamana Special via email with Auntie. She told me it would be 175 +shipping. I was totally fine with the price and she shipped it out.

The very next day there was an almost identical Manakamana Special... same size and weight but it was listed for $100. Both had villager fit and finished blades. I really didn't mind paying the extra $75 because the one I inquired about wasn't on the DOTD's.

I figured she gives better prices on the DOTD's.... To tell you the truth I really didn't mind paying the extra $75 because what I received was well worth it in my book.

FYI.. Pinkeye yours does not appear to be a villager fit and finish. It appears to have a polished blade, a villager fit and finish has polishing wheel marks scoring the blade. You def got a polished blade

You've all been so helpful, thankyou. Numbers are so much easier for me to process than the 'feel' of a thing. I am gonna keep it and use it no matter what; if nothing else just to compare it to the functionality of my next HI (gelbu special hopefully).

Now I know to expect:
-3.5"-4" on their smaller knives
-3.5"-4.5" on the midsize
-5" on swords

I'm sure this will be helpful for others in the future.

I just measured my nearest blade, a Gelbu Special that's 21" overall length and about 30 oz. The handle girth is 4 3/8". That's about the maximum I can hold comfortably in my average sized hand. This handle girth is appropriate for such a large khukuri, but would be too much for a smaller blade. Your hand might be larger than average, or maybe you are using the wrong kind of grip for a khukuri, which has a different kind of heft and balance from most knives.

As for the "finish nail sized holes" that you found in the handle, I suspect that they might have been made by burrowing insects before the wood was cut. I have a couple of khukuris with holes like that. Probably harmless, especially if you fill them with superglue or epoxy or some kind of varnish.

Sounds like you will probably be returning the blade, perhaps for a credit toward another purchase. I would recommend starting with the least expensive model -- a KLVUK -- so you can learn what size handle is best for your hand before spending a lot of money on a top-of-the-line HI blade.

I just measured my nearest blade, a Gelbu Special that's 21" overall length and about 30 oz. The handle girth is 4 3/8". That's about the maximum I can hold comfortably in my average sized hand. This handle girth is appropriate for such a large khukuri, but would be too much for a smaller blade. Your hand might be larger than average, or maybe you are using the wrong kind of grip for a khukuri, which has a different kind of heft and balance from most knives.

As for the "finish nail sized holes" that you found in the handle, I suspect that they might have been made by burrowing insects before the wood was cut. I have a couple of khukuris with holes like that. Probably harmless, especially if you fill them with superglue or epoxy or some kind of varnish.

Sounds like you will probably be returning the blade, perhaps for a credit toward another purchase. I would recommend starting with the least expensive model -- a KLVUK -- so you can learn what size handle is best for your hand before spending a lot of money on a top-of-the-line HI blade.

ty for the measurements; and if the difference between this m43 and top-of-the-line is $40, im just gonna cough up the dough. I might've kept it if a cream-of-the-crop wasn't so close in monetary value ..whats $40 more... I really want one and can only buy once (for now). This is a present to myself.

It seems like the m43 sent to me was on the upper end of handle girth (approaching 4.5"), even though it felt small to me (imagine my surprise). I'm just not used to the kukri it seems. It especially felt small when i tried gripping it with work gloves, but now i know that is just my sensibilities (which is why i asked).

When i grip the kuk 'thumb-over-middle-finger' so to speak, my fingers come back around to touch my palm ..just feels weird. But a few people have posted pics showing similar proportions. My handle/girth question has been answered thanks to the many kind forumites.

Last edited:
Back