M43?

Good evening. A good while back before I had done much reading on this forum I ordered an M43 from Auntie. I have always loved the Khukuri and this would be my first Khuk buy that actually came sharp and cost over 30 bucks. Due to the unfortunate circumstances in Nepal, Yangdu personally called a told me that it would most likely be months before i got my Khukuri and wanted to make sure that would be OK. If that's not service then i don't know what is. I assured her that i was prepared to wait that I was (am) a very patient man. Time has flown by and I with things now looking up I am waiting with bated breath for my triangle box to appear on my porch.

So after all that back story, what do you all think of the M43? The good, the bad and the ugly? I've not seen any talk about them so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks.

-Brogan

I loved mine when I had it. We have a friend here named Wild Mike who swears by them. He used his extensively over a couple years living in a couple cabins he built with his. The only complaints I've ever heard are from people who prefer light khukuri. At 18" it is built to be a dedicated heavy chopper, as that is what most people use them for. For the lighter khukuri people, we introduced a 15" model for their needs.

Unfortunately with the problems we've been having in Nepal with shop moves, power outages, kami turnover and the like it has been difficult to even get/keep stock items on hand and your patience is greatly appreciated. Politely remind Auntie once in awhile of your pending order and she will undoubtedly take care of you.

The M43's are great. For functionality I'd put them in the same category as the HI WWII model: good for heavy chopping but slightly lighter and maybe a little more versatile than an AK or CAK of the same length.

Here are photos of three M43's. The first, by Bhakta Kami, is 18.5" long and weighs 28oz, which is pretty much as light as they come for that length. The second, by Arjun Kami, is 18" long and weighs 31oz. The third, by Rajkumar Kami, is 15" long and weighs 24oz.

View attachment 448881

View attachment 448882

View attachment 448883

I don't know anything bad or ugly about them. It's all good. By the way, the chiruwa-style, two-pin handle is standard on this model, as is the absence of the ring around the middle that one finds on most khukuris. Whether this is good or bad is up to the user.

Last edited:
@ Karda: thanks! Auntie said it should be sometime in June about a month ago. I'm going camping next week and be roughing it for a week and wanted to bring it but like I said I'm willing to wait.

@Snowwolf: I plan to carry it in place of a hatchet and machete. Camp wood chopping and cutting. I also plan on carrying as a secondary side arm at fairs and for other s to see how awesome HI products are. Basically I wanted a khuk that had form, function and class. It seems from davidf99 photos, thanks btw those look amazing :D, that I may have found what I'm looking for. The only issue I may have is I am used to the traditional handle with the ring but I guess I'll just have to expand my collection when the time comes, darn :rolleyes:

Thanks all,

-Brogan

Any update? I am curious as to how much you like it. I have a CAK incoming and was thinking of this one as a possible next purchase.
Hope your camping trip went well.

I find the M43 to be a dedicated chopper not because of its weight but because of its balance. Balance in khukuris is key: my 36 oz. Bonecutter feels more nimble and neutral in my hand than my 28 oz. ASTK (which has a very forward curve similar to an M43). CAKs are better balanced and more well rounded allowing for more utility, but really, both will be able to handle any task with great aplomb. It's all in the eye of the beholder, however. Any way you cut it, HI khukuris are just plain awesome and will give you endless enjoyment and pride of ownership regardless of the model(s).

It is the best kukri I have owned from HI. The balance is very far forward which makes it ideal for chopping. My model is 18" and I put micarta handles on it myself for comfort. Overall, it excels at most camp tasks besides fine chores which I use my pocket knife for. They are heavy knives, though. I've gotten to the point where I don't carry a knife that large anymore, but if I were to carry one it would be my HI.

I have a couple of m43s and several antique ww2, and I have to honestly tell you that the HI m43 is superior in every way to the antiques. it is worth the wait and I plan on at least getting one more before collection is done.

I haven't handled an HI M43, but I had an original Pioneer Calcutta and every one of the HI khuks I've had is far better executed, including my KLVUK. I think you've made a great choice for your purpose-the original design is excellent, but wartime execution of that design was kinda iffy.

Great review of the M43 that Auntie told me about by Nutnfancy. Worth the 41 minutes.

Watch "Nepalese Kukri: Made in a Hut, Forged in Combat" on YouTube
Nepalese Kukri: Made in a Hut, Forged in Combat: http://youtu.be/jgB6WpwGwO4

I think that review got auntie several new customers, I hope we all give HI the time it needs to fulfill this flood of orders, they are still relatively small time even though they do a lion's work. you will really love the blade when you get it brogan, i have no doubt, and auntie will always make it right if there is a problem even if she should not lol, I could not love this company more sir! glad you are going to be part those who get to enjoy this art and contribute to the kami.

I used to own one of the first Khukri's that H.I. ever made back in 2001/2002. Over the years, I've played with a few more. All of the versions that I've handled and played with have felt really good. Part weapon, part worker. There's something special about the design, I just can't put it into words. Get one in yours hands, put it to use and you'll probably feel it.

Had a Chiruwa style 16.5" WWII back in the fall of 2001. It developed a handle issue and went back to uncle Bill for an exchange. That blade felt amazing in hand also and quite close to what the M43's feel. My other Chiruwa blades have not felt the same as that WWII or my old M43. There's something special about them to me, that's for sure.

Mine enjoys most favored status out of the half-dozen or so I own. It resides by my bedside.

I don't consider the model a dedicated chopper. Like all other HIs, I think it depends on the particular knife. Mine is only 28 ounces.

Thanks. It is good steel, made in a day before HI succumbed to the bigger is better mentality.

I really dig that tomahawk. Sweet wood on the handle too. I gotta stay away from you guys. Too much temptation as usual.

Back