~~~~ M690 Steel???~~~~~~

Anyone have any experience with M690 steel? Microtech is using it on their new HaloV. Just don't know much about it.

Have a good one!

Im thinking someone goofed with the lazer engraving machine. That is unless its a brand new steel from bohler and not on their website. My guess its either M390 or N690. Its anyones guess which. But I doubt they would use M390 without some sort of price jump.

To the original question.

M390 will take a razor sharp edge; and hold a working edge longer than any stainless that I'm aware of.

Microtech has a history of typos on their labeling of knives and boxes. I would bet it is N690CO, or even M390. It's anyone's guess.

Hmm, I sure would like to know if it's missed marked or really some new M690 super ultra mega exotic..... Google pulls up nothing on M690, except for some grade of welding wire. I'm hoping it's really M390, but it's probably the crappy plain N690....

20141226_201257.jpg

Answer from MT:

M690 is a high grade stainless steel, easy to work with and has great edge retention. I personally have no other information on it, but I know it is a great blade steel. Many knife makers have been using it for long time for its durability and ease of sharpening.

Mark Stilts
Sales Team
Microtech Knives/MSAR
300 Chestnut St
Bradford PA 16701
(814)363-9260
(814)363-9030 FAX

Do they really make knife blades out of wire used for welding? As that I'm ignorant of such processes please explain how this would be preferred over using a billet.

It would be ridiculous... like MT's response: "I personally have no other information on it, but I know it is a great blade steel. Many knife makers have been using it for long time for its durability and ease of sharpening." Someone made a typo, has to be.

Latest MT response from this questions "Are you sure it's not N690 or M390?":

"from the information I was able to gather it is M690 I am waiting for further info from others who know much more than me on the subject of steels"

rhazen: Great news - thanks for getting on Microtech about this! :thumbup::thumbup:

I still think it's a typo. You don't use welding wire composition in a blade steel; that's just absurd....

Answer from MT:

M690 is a high grade stainless steel, easy to work with and has great edge retention. I personally have no other information on it, but I know it is a great blade steel. Many knife makers have been using it for long time for its durability and ease of sharpening.

Mark Stilts
Sales Team
Microtech Knives/MSAR
300 Chestnut St
Bradford PA 16701
(814)363-9260
(814)363-9030 FAX

That is a horrible answer from a knife company.

"I dunno but other people seem to like it so you know it's good"

If they are talking ease of sharpening and being easey to work as used by knifemakers for years my guess is its definitely N690. Seeing tony has been talking with Todd Begg lately and it being Todds favorite steel lately it seems rather likely. And I dont see them using m390 without a price increase. Then again they were using CTS204P for a spell so who knows. I do know for sure its not welding wire. I really dont think M390 though as it just doesnt fit the description.

Back