~~~~ M690 Steel???~~~~~~

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Microtech marking blades with the wrong type of steel in the past.

I thought Microtech went to all Elmax for their blades? I have a new Ultratech with a 8/2014 birthday and it is Elmax, other Halos I have seen from 2013 and 2014 are also Elmax. Am I missing something?

There is absolutely no consistencies when it comes to steel from microtech. It has been speculated by some that they will use any decent steel that they can get a good deal. Others think they simply like to experiement a lot with various steels to see what works best for what. But history has shown that like many things in the microtech universe things constantly evolve with that company and steel will change with the comming tides. That fact is so established that while many sites will list the steel a microtech knife is supposed to have many dealers have adopted putting things like "to change without notice" as to curb discontent. Still many sites simply cant keep up and you will order a knife thinking its S35VN and it will come and be Elmax. And to the people that asked? Yes microtech has made mistakes in the past with labeling steel. I think in a few cases they screwed up and put a completely wrong designation on it.

I sent a contact request through the Microtech website asking to confirm the steel used. I also included a link to this conversation, as an FYI to them. This is the response (N690 it is!):

Sam,

The Halo's marked M690 were to marked N690. I apparently typed the wrong letter as well when responding to the email listed on the forum by rhazen.

M690 is a welding wire and not a blade steel.

On a side note I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect, typographical errors are bound to happen every once in a while.

Thank You for helping to bring this to our attention, I have been assured that our laser engraver has been changed to avoid any further "typos" with the steel markings.

Stay safe,

Mark Stilts
Sales Team
Microtech Knives/MSAR
300 Chestnut St
Bradford PA 16701

It is a typo :
"The steel on this knife is N690, but some Halo knives have been incorrectly marked "M690" on the blade."
-BladeHQ

Microtech's QC leads the way.

Classic Microtech. They get some big things right and then screw up the small stuff. The DOC clip, the uneven fullers on my Anax, the slightly offcenter backspacer machining on the Whalesharks... the list goes on.

I am a fairly new knife collector, so I cannot speak from more then a couple of years of experience. I now have 2 Microtech knives, a Killswitch and an Ultratech. I bought both from the same dealer, a great dealer that I trust, since I know about the huge number of fakes out there.

Both my MTs are Elmax, and both say Elmax and both are really well made. I love these knives.

I am now planning on getting a Halo V, green handle, Elmax blade with the Apocalypse finish, CAN'T WAIT

And one thing I for sure, they do not give one shit about screwing up either. They seem to have an almost Heckler & Koch level of disdain for their customers.

And one thing I for sure, they do not give one shit about screwing up either. They seem to have an almost Heckler & Koch level of disdain for their customers.

Its an odd situation. Over the years I have got the impression that they are sick of the criticism. About quality, ethics, mistakes, production. You name it they are pretty much sick of defending themselves. Thats not to say that 90% of all the gripes with the company arent valid, they are. But Tony doesnt seem to want to have to answer to anyone for anything. On one hand I admire that the man apologizes for nothing. He does what he wants with little regard for anyone other than himself. But that unfortunately is also the reason many despise him. Believe it or not, M/T as a company has done a lot in recent years to improve their public image. But that doesnt stop Tony from occasionally making a PR nightmare for his company.

Its an odd situation. Over the years I have got the impression that they are sick of the criticism. About quality, ethics, mistakes, production. You name it they are pretty much sick of defending themselves. Thats not to say that 90% of all the gripes with the company arent valid, they are. But Tony doesnt seem to want to have to answer to anyone for anything. On one hand I admire that the man apologizes for nothing. He does what he wants with little regard for anyone other than himself. But that unfortunately is also the reason many despise him. Believe it or not, M/T as a company has done a lot in recent years to improve their public image. But that doesnt stop Tony from occasionally making a PR nightmare for his company.

Hell, I have 3 of them, one being a Marfione ground Halo V. They do make some nice knives, there's no doubt about. They have a strange way of doing business, though.

Can't say anything about MT, but HK's CS is top notch now and has been for awhile. The customer disdain rumors are inflated and kept alive by the haters.

Can't say anything about MT, but HK's CS is top notch now and has been for awhile. The customer disdain rumors are inflated and kept alive by the haters.
Yeah, the HK hates you meme has some legs. It took them a while but they do seem to have begrudgingly surrendered to having to deal with the civilian market. I love the VP9, but I went with the Walther PPQ Navy for the threaded barrel.

Yeah, the HK hates you meme has some legs. It took them a while but they do seem to have begrudgingly surrendered to having to deal with the civilian market. I love the VP9, but I went with the Walther PPQ Navy for the threaded barrel.
I just bought a threaded barrel for my P30. When they release a VP9c, I will get one.

On topic, my friends brother is picking up a DOC Killswitch. Not worth it imho, but to each his own. I wonder if all the models will be switching to N690.

Here it is guys & gals........email received from Microtech on 3/25/15..........

Joe,

We had some Halo V's sent out that were marked M690 instead of N690.
The blade steel is N690.

Mark Stilts
Sales Team
Microtech Knives
300 Chestnut St
Bradford PA 16701
(814)363-9260
(814)363-9030 FAX

So I bought this new car, a BMW 326. My friend told me they don't make a 326, it's probably a mislabled 325. Called up BMW and they where like... Yea sorry, name plate typo.

Seriously? That company needs to reorganize their sh__.

Back