Machete Picture Thread

We have an edc knife thread, but how about a thread for the knives that do some real work. Machetes!

This is my first machete, a Tramontina 18" Brazilian style blade. I applied a stain to the handle and stripped the "clear coat" off the blade so a nice patina will form. This thing chops great even with no work on the edge yet.

h09eFct.jpg

My M1939/Collins & Co. Legitimus No.128 (1942)
Leather scabbard is not original (I made it).
0WYLflQ.png

I only have the one. But I really only need the one :D

My M1939/Collins & Co. Legitimus No.128 (1942)
Leather scabbard is not original (I made it).
0WYLflQ.png

I only have the one. But I really only need the one :D

I have a younger model without the nice scales. Love the ring of the steel on these Legitimus blades! Nice scabbard!

I have a younger model without the nice scales. Love the ring of the steel on these Legitimus blades! Nice scabbard!

Thanks, it was my first fold over for a large blade. I messed up on it though. I didn't line skive the under side of the fold because I thought the leather was supple enough that I didn't need to...I was wrong. Took a lot of sanding, filling, and stain in order to mostly hide the surface cracks on the spine of the scabbard. I also couldn't find my over stitcher or edge burnisher when I made it, so the seam is a little sloppy. But I tend to slack a little and cosmetics when it comes to personal use custom jobs. And that ring sure is a thing of beauty. Has a nice wide center of percussion as well that run about 6 inches down from the apex of the belly.

If I'm making something for another person it's different. I can accept flaws etc. if it's for my use. My machete is stored without scabbard in my roll around. Clean dry and safe. Lol

I had a pretty cool 18" Tramontina for a couple of years that I haven't seen in a while. Lost at a job site, I think.

In Feb 2015 I picked up a hand forged machete from a maker's booth at the Sunday mercado in Tlacolula, Oaxaca, Mexico. It is a humongous outdoor market and you can buy everything under the sun from handmade silver jewelry to goat meat soup to produce, chocoloate, or live poultry. The man who made my machete also makes knives. The machete is high carbon steel and the handle is made from tire rubber. The maker referred me down a couple of booths to a leather worker for a sheath. It is probably my funkiest blade and I baby it like my most expensive safe queen, even though the package of machete/sheath was sub $40.

Edit to add photos:

24361870052_3d97f3a88b_h.jpg

24470173595_7fc6cda94a_h.jpg

With Busse ASHBM:
24174585480_6f792dd1d0_h.jpg

Last edited:
I'll play...condor parang with hand polished and reworked convex edge.

20160109_181805_zpsbvsc9ca2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am a little curious about the parang shape. To me it has never looked as useful as a lot of other machete shapes. I think it just doesn't look...meaty enough I guess? So when I see them for sale on various sites, I am like "meh" about them. But I have never held or used one. Which makes it an unfair preconception I have about them. So how does it actually handle? Does it have anything it particularly excels or fails at?

It is definitely not for light veg. It is a HEAVY duty chopper. It is a thick chunk of steel with a small convex edge (about 1/2"up from the edge). But having said that, it does excel at anything 2" and above. Like I said not meant for light veg though as it would waer your arm out swinging it all day but I do like it and it's performance has increased with the work I have done to it

Here is one that I have used hard over the years. 16" blade. Has been a great tool.

From Guatemala around the mid 1960s - brought home from an Uncle visiting another Uncle. I don't know how I ended up with it as I was only 13 or 14 at the time. I don't think I was given this "knife". Likely I took it over from my Father who never used it.

Here is some ID info -

Took it out and used it on some downed trees and vines today. Worked well even with the stock edge.

XfjfFvV.jpg

Here are some pics of the sort of machete-like objects I make. These are made out of forged beta ti alloy, and generally call them "undergrowth organizers," haha. They're usually distally-tapered and have a sword-like blade geometry, but without a full hilt.

EFNcW9T.jpg

nDtn0El.jpg

gwfdBuC.jpg

Specimen Cleaver
TPvQjxJ.jpg

bIELX5h.jpg

YP8Huin.jpg

I like the look of that one chilling with the Enterprise. Reminds me of 19th century corn knives.

Back