1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Machete Picture Thread

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 00ChevyScott, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Muaddib1116

Muaddib1116

Dec 26, 2010
    What's that folder?

2. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    In case Marthinus doesn't see this, I believe it's a prototype that he built.

3. Muaddib1116

Muaddib1116

Dec 26, 2010
    Oh, very cool.

4. marthinus

marthinus

Dec 10, 2006
    Thanks for chiming in, yip, my first folder I made under the supervision of Andre Thorburn and Andre van Heerden. I am indebted to those gentleman.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. Heartland_edc

Heartland_edc

May 4, 2015
    My dad had one of these folding machetes in his shop! Exactly the same I think! He would always catch my brother and I trying to reach it on one of the shelves in his office. If I remember correctly, he said it was his dad's, and was used in WW2. I could be mistaken though. So cool to see another one!

6. Faiaoga

Faiaoga

Jul 3, 2012
    edc knife? In many places, the machete IS the edc knife:D It is also the knife that does all the real work:cool:

7. Rapt_up

Rapt_up

May 4, 2012
  8. paleomanone

paleomanone

Apr 7, 2012
    I got my first one of these about 1971. They were sold as French Milsurps through mail order as well as local hardware stores from what I understand. With a good swing this machete would cut clean through a 2-3 inch sapling. I have looked all over for something similar in terms of the weight and balance but I have never come close to finding anything on the market these days. When I saw the exact same machete listed for twenty bucks on the Internet a few years ago I bought it. It was in great condition & had not been used very much. I'm not sure what kind of steel it is but it will hold an edge that will shave the hair off your hand. :thumbup:[​IMG]

9. GREENJACKET

GREENJACKET

Feb 23, 2000
    Skrama:
    [​IMG]

Dorset Blades Jungle Parang:
    [​IMG]

The Classic Blackjack Marauder II (my second as my user one was nicked) and GB Small Forest Axe:
    [​IMG]

10. Pirate63

Pirate63

Mar 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Rebel_42MDx

Rebel_42MDx

Apr 19, 2016
    Bidor "heavy duku" chandong parang in 5160 spring steel from Malaysia!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jro_2010/26601635836/in/dateposted-public/[img]

[IMG]https://www.flickr.com/photos/jro_2010/26601635706/in/dateposted-public/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  12. Spyder59

Spyder59

Dec 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. smith357

smith357

Feb 19, 2005
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Greenjacket, Nice assortment! John

15. GREENJACKET

GREENJACKET

Feb 23, 2000
    The bottom is a Ben Orford snedding parang:
    [​IMG]

All these get use. Cold Steel Spade and a Rrussian Titanium one which is featherweight. I have a few light weigh machetes but I don't like the twang vibrations they give; they don't work well here.
    [​IMG]

If they look under used then its because most are my pampered set and most I've had at least two of. The classic Blackjack from the early 90's is a replacement to one stolen and which I used a lot over the years. I lost my WWII machetes and the ones like my Martindale golock about the same time. I use old billhooks and ditch knives too; plus petrol power tools... I'm not as young as I used to be.

16. instructed2

instructed2

Oct 11, 2011
    Great looking collection. I am a little curious though, what would one need a titanium spade for? Does it have any advantages over a traditional steel spade besides weight and being super super cool?

17. GREENJACKET

GREENJACKET

Feb 23, 2000
    Titanium for trekking, where weight is paramount. Team base camp tool. A camp requires some digging especially if there are a few people. You pack it you carry it.
    If you dig for long you will want a full sized spade, if you dig even longer then you will want a mini digger.

The Cold Steel is far too heavy so relegated to a truck tool or for throwing fun (which they do well). I'm not a fan of sharp side edges on a spade either.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  18. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

19. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Condor Parang, BM Rift

[​IMG]

20. Zakkaery

Zakkaery

Mar 27, 2016
    That is honestly one of the coolest things I have seen, props to you on making it, looks like a great deal of fun.