• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Machete sheaths

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Hi Guys, I'm making sheaths now on a semi regulare basis and wanted to let you know about a special I have going. If anyone gets a Matchete sheath from me from now till the end of the year they are only $20 + actuall shipping. Here are some examples of the matchete sheaths I've done recently:

attachment.php

attachment.php

They were both made from 8-9oz Oak Leaf Veggie tanned leather from Tandy, hand stitched and colored with Saddle Tan Eco-Flo brand Gel Antique. There are 2 tie down straps on the back that I'll get pictures of later when the lighting is good. They are included in the price of the matchete sheaths.

I can be contacted through PM or email at wildmanh@yahoo.com. Thanks,

Heber

P.S. I asked about making this post in Service and Support and they were fine with it. I hope the mods here are too. Don't want to step on any toes or do the wrong thing. Thanks.

Last edited:
Very cool Heber! :cool: Those look top-notch. :thumbup:

I probably have a couple dozen machetes, and I'm sure fewer than half of them have sheaths. :eek:

Most of mine are at least 16 inchers. How universal is the fit and sizing you're offering?

Very cool Heber! :cool: Those look top-notch. :thumbup:

I probably have a couple dozen machetes, and I'm sure fewer than half of them have sheaths. :eek:

Most of mine are at least 16 inchers. How universal is the fit and sizing you're offering?

I am interested in size too.

Thanks for the interest guys! If I have the Machete it will be a great fit, if not I can do a more universal size. Currently I have a 14" Bolo Machete from Tramontina. I can make sheaths for Machetes up to 18" Long. Width shouldn't be a problem. I'm planning to order a few more Machetes from SMKW's this afternoon. What sizes should I order?

Do you guys want retaining straps? If so is Nylon with Velcro okay? I'm thinking of making some sheaths where the body is leather but the belt loop and strap is nylon webbing. If I do any universal sheaths thats how I'll make them to ensure that the strap fits a wide variety of handles.

Heber

Wow...nice work!!!

I'd definitely be up for one of your sheaths - just like the one you have pictured - for my 18" Ontario G.I. Machette. Personally, I prefer all leather.

email on the way...

OK, I measured mine. It is also an 18" Ontario-Blackie Collins (loop handle guard) machette. I too, would like an all leather sheath as pictured. PM being sent.

PM sent..looks good, email me at geno.ar15@yahoo.com
If I was you..I would order the Ontario line, the Cold Steel line and the Tram. line..I have a feeling you are about to get really busy!!!

Thanks for the nice comments and emails. I'll try to get to everyone ASAP. Just got home from work an 11 hour shift covering for a friend. I'm eating dinner but should be able to return emails soon.

When you contact me via email, would you please include your forum name? It helps me keep things straight. If not, thats okay too. Thanks,

Heber

Hey guys, I'm getting through the emails and PM's. If you have not heared from me by 10pm Mountain time, send me and email and I'll get back to you ASAP. wildmanh@yahoo.com is my email. I don't want anyone to feel left out, my spam filter might block some.

Also wanted to add an offer. First off, I have the 14" Bolo Machete by tram, am ordering a few more tonight. Just trying to deside which 3 to get. If I don't get the model you have or if you have a different brand and want me to make you a sheath you might like this:

If you want to send the knife for fitting and allow me to make some other sheaths from it I'll pay return shipping and the sheath will only be $15. I'll also trade sheaths for Machetes.

Thanks,

Heber

Hey Heber- I got your PM , but I'm replying here to bump your thread back up. ;) I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would be interested. :thumbup:

I think most- if not all- of the machetes I need sheaths for are "restoration" projects that are packed away right now. Although they are from several manufacturers and several eras, they are overwhelmingly in the USGI pattern, so a generic fit for an 18" Ontario type would work for me. In other words, I don't need a "custom fit" because whatever you might send me is bound to fit one of them perfectly.

How about for now, when you get set up for the 18" GI pattern and have a few on hand I'll get a couple from you. Then later when I get back into my pile of projects, I could ask you for some more "fitted" pieces?

Great project, Man! :cool: :)

That's Awesome! Can you easily make one to fit a 13" Cold Steel Kukri machete?

Got mine today, very nice work and absolutely a pleasure doing business with you!

Thanks bro!

Got mine today, very nice work and absolutely a pleasure doing business with you!

Thanks bro!

Thanks Tony,

Was great dealing with you also. Am glad you like the sheath. Now go out, use it and take pictures! (Any excuse for pictures ;))

Heber

I want one for my 12 inch tramontina, that's what the one from the first post looks like.
Sending an e-mail now.
Looks great, I bet you will be busy!
Liam

I want one for my 12 inch tramontina, that's what the one from the first post looks like.
Sending an e-mail now.
Looks great, I bet you will be busy!
Liam

Liam, I have not gotten your email yet (12:10pm utah time) so I sent you one. :thumbup:

Heber

I'm about to start the next batch of sheaths. I think I've emailed everyone about their sheaths which included an updated estimated ship date. If for some reason I've missed you, email me and I'll get it sorted out. Thanks!

On the back of the sheath there are two tie down loops. These come standard on my Machete sheaths. Below is a picture of the back.

attachment.php

Right now I have the following blades on hand for fitting;

TRamotina: 12" and 14" standard, 18" Plastic handled, 14" Bolo
Cold Steel 13" Kukri Machete - Limited time
Martinia 13" Golok - Limited time
Ontario 12" with D Guard, 18" ISGI - Coming soon

Here's a list of the colors I currently have on hand:

Gel Antique: Saddle Tan, Mahogany, Medium brown
Stain: Saddle Tan, Coffee brown
Dye: Emerald green, Forest green, Bison brown

You can also choose how long you want the retaining strap to stick out past the snap:

3/4" = short
1-1/4" = long

I'll try to get some pictures up soon of sheaths I've finished recently. Thanks,

Heber

Back