Photos Machined stitched sheaths

Dang you got with it! Great job. I only see a couple of things, ya did really good. On the curve on the bottom on the sheath on the left I see two stitches that are a little long. Most of the time that'll happen to ya on a curve if you slow down abruptly (to make the curve or (probably 90% of the time) , while you were guiding it you were also slightly trying to feed it. thats hard to overcome too, I still struggle with it sometimes. Really, really, good job though. On the sheath ya got crooked once that I can see but heck that come with experience. At the point try to make that more of an angle and less of a curve. You might have to shorten the last stitch as you come down to the point but thats just kind life. It'll look a hair better than the curve cause it is following the lines of the sheath. For just getting that machine ya did WAY better than I did when I got my first machine, WAY.

Dang you got with it! Great job. I only see a couple of things, ya did really good. On the curve on the bottom on the sheath on the left I see two stitches that are a little long. Most of the time that'll happen to ya on a curve if you slow down abruptly (to make the curve or (probably 90% of the time) , while you were guiding it you were also slightly trying to feed it. thats hard to overcome too, I still struggle with it sometimes. Really, really, good job though. On the sheath ya got crooked once that I can see but heck that come with experience. At the point try to make that more of an angle and less of a curve. You might have to shorten the last stitch as you come down to the point but thats just kind life. It'll look a hair better than the curve cause it is following the lines of the sheath. For just getting that machine ya did WAY better than I did when I got my first machine, WAY.
Thank you and I agree with what you are saying! And will pay more attention on those details next time.
It means a great deal to me that you take the time to us first timers!

Thank you and I agree with what you are saying! And will pay more attention on those details next time.
It means a great deal to me that you take the time to us first timers!
Good deal. You keep posting and I'll keep helping. Ya find that it will be little stuff more and more and thats when ya know you are getting stuff down. Its the details. Again good job.

I often still struggle with those long stitches at the curve, and I've been at machine stitching for about three years now, I think. As Dave said, hard to overcome (at least for me). You did great! Machine stitching is a dream, eh? :)

I made these sheaths this week and tried out the new to me Artisan 3200. Critique and comments welcomed!

Those look really really nice !!!! I’m still hand stitching and in search of a machine. So I can’t say anything except they look great to me. I like the picture too.

What is a good entry level sewing machine for leatherwork? I’d prefer to buy one that I’ll have for quite a while you know buy once cry once.
Thanks

What is a good entry level sewing machine for leatherwork? I’d prefer to buy one that I’ll have for quite a while you know buy once cry once.
Thanks

I’m in the market ( well future market ) for a machine. I’ve been drooling over the Cobra class 4. There’s also the Cowboy machines and Artisian machines, I think I got those right.

I’m in the market ( well future market ) for a machine. I’ve been drooling over the Cobra class 4. There’s also the Cowboy machines and Artisian machines, I think I got those right.

Any of those three machines will do the job for you, provided you need a heavy stitcher, and if you are doing sheaths etc. you will need the heavy stitcher. My personal choice of the three is the Cobra brand. All the machines are pretty well equal, but you cannot beat the service before and after the sale with Leather Machine Company (Cobra).

Any of those three machines will do the job for you, provided you need a heavy stitcher, and if you are doing sheaths etc. you will need the heavy stitcher. My personal choice of the three is the Cobra brand. All the machines are pretty well equal, but you cannot beat the service before and after the sale with Leather Machine Company (Cobra).

Thank you for your reply. I’ve been looking at the Cobra class 4 with all the accessories. Pretty much I’ve ruled out the rest. I’m still a newbie and really enjoying learning the craft. So for now I’m mostly doing thick sheaths and some holsters. I’ve been working with 10oz and up leather.

Ok so bumping this thread up, with update. First thank you to bike4fun919 for the thread, as he started it :)
So update, I now have a Cobra 4 machine :) :) :)
Learning has begun lol, any hints tips or newbie stuff ?????? One question off the top is how to more tension on backside thread ? I’d like it to be a little deeper into leather , top side or show side is fine. Using #25 needle with 277 bonded nylon top/bottom.

Thanks

Ok so bumping this thread up, with update. First thank you to bike4fun919 for the thread, as he started it :)
So update, I now have a Cobra 4 machine :) :) :)
Learning has begun lol, any hints tips or newbie stuff ?????? One question off the top is how to more tension on backside thread ? I’d like it to be a little deeper into leather , top side or show side is fine. Using #25 needle with 277 bonded nylon top/bottom.

Thanks
Congrats you will never look back! Wish I could help on the questions but i’m still learning myself. I’ve got to release some pressure on the presser foot as it’s marking the leather.

Congrats you will never look back! Wish I could help on the questions but i’m still learning myself. I’ve got to release some pressure on the presser foot as it’s marking the leather.
Thanks :thumbsup::) Yeah I get a little presser foot tracks, but not bad. More on harness leather than on English bridle.
Amazing though, stitched a leather sheath attachment today. Was so fast compared to hand stitching. But I’m learning so test run piece and practice, then I stitched the actual piece.

It’s amazing how quick it goes over hand stitching.

It’s amazing how quick it goes over hand stitching.

It really is !!!! I truly love the machine just wish I knew more about sewing lol !! :) A the start holding the two threads drives me bonkers lol. Holding them too tight , not enough, don’t flex needle etc. I have reverse working well. But I think on small pieces I’m going to just spin leather and stay in forward. I’m also going to get some bonded poly thread to try.
As for tension I think I’m going to mark and measure my factory settings. Then ever sooooo gently adjust top tension settings, maybe , don’t know, kinda scared lol.

Good luck. Like you Im a little hesitant to adjust any settings.

So Im looking to upgrade from my Tippmann boss to either the Artisan 3200 or the Cobra Class 4. I make mostly holsters/sheaths and the occasional belt or set of suspenders. Dont see myself ever doing much other than that. The Artisan 3200 comes with a roller guide, which i guess could be helpful for belts. My real question thought, is regarding the other feet, work platform, stirrup, and holster plates with the 'premium package' on the cobra. Are those things needed? Havent used anything like that with my Boss. Do i just need the standard package for what i do?

So Im looking to upgrade from my Tippmann boss to either the Artisan 3200 or the Cobra Class 4. I make mostly holsters/sheaths and the occasional belt or set of suspenders. Dont see myself ever doing much other than that. The Artisan 3200 comes with a roller guide, which i guess could be helpful for belts. My real question thought, is regarding the other feet, work platform, stirrup, and holster plates with the 'premium package' on the cobra. Are those things needed? Havent used anything like that with my Boss. Do i just need the standard package for what i do?

Well it’s really a coin toss, at least it was for me. The premium package with the cobra 4. Has stuff you’ll use and stuff you won’t, at least not right away. The extra bobbins, table, roller guide are nice. The extra feet I haven’t used, just plan ahead for what I’m sewing. But I can see where they’d be useful for certain times. Example when getting close to an edge. The walking foot pressure can cause a slip or tilt (?) So for me I plan my spacing out. With the other feet you could change them out to your liking. As for the plates I don’t for see me using them, but that’s now. So could you run without the P package. Absolutely ! You may never even look back.

I’m still a newbie in my learning as I go, so just my .02’s worth
:)

I went with the standard package on my Cobra 4. I do have the roller guide though which I use on reins and thats the only time I use it. Other than that the standard foot has done everything I do.

Back