Mad for Micarta Picture Thread

EEWBD93.jpg
Hey Bran, do my eyes deceive me or is that not a small 21 in the center? How's the Micarta slab as a stand-alone? I've thought about doing something like that with my large 25.

Sweet bunch of Micarta beauties, BTW. :thumbsup:

Hey Bran, do my eyes deceive me or is that not a small 21 in the center? How's the Micarta slab as a stand-alone? I':thumbsup:ve thought about doing something like that with my large 25.

Your eyes do not deceive! That is a small 21 Insingo with vintage paper micarta:

BPI4gLJ.jpg

Steve Ketchen (spketch) made this one for me. I also recently picked up a lightning strike carbon fiber scale made by Knockwood Blades:

zdvFdYJ.jpg

I have not had any problems with either the micarta scale or the LSCF. The knife has been smooth with perfect centering and rock-solid lockup. One thing to note is that some micartas may not be strong or dense enough to cut it as a standalone scale, so require a G10 liner. But overall I think the Sebenza is a great candidate for a custom scale, especially because it's so easy to swap out the scales (takes about 30 seconds).

Thanks, brancron brancron . I've been wanting to get Sketch to do some scales for me for a while. His work looks super and lots of guys say he's great to do business with. I'll have to put that large 25 of mine on the project list and ask Steve for advice on a suitable Micarta choice.

And yeah, you couldn't ask for easier knives to work on than CRKs. :thumbsup:

Westinghouse 3-layer.
Four years after making these scales and they still have a chemically odor.
BKFD002.jpg

Just got this one in today upon returning home from a week in our Vermont woods. This is very different from what I usually buy and carry, but I was attracted by the blade shape and keep a few smaller, more-traditional knives to fill the second-carry role as it's good to have a more discrete knife to proffer in certain situations. Also, face it, a 4" M390 titanium framelock flipper isn't always the best tool for the job. :eek:

Of course one of the best things about this baby is the very nice contoured, green canvas Micarta. So here's my new Benchmade Proper along with my REI 531 for comparison's sake.

4uBZUIJ.jpg

eJJvzWy.jpg

Last edited:
Just got this one in today upon returning home from a week in our Vermont woods. This is very different from what I usually buy and carry, but I was attracted by the blade shape and keep a few smaller, more-traditional knives to fill the second-carry role as it's good to have a more discreet knife to proffer in certain situations. Also, face it, a 4" M390 titanium framelock flipper isn't always the best tool for the job. :eek:

Of course one of the best things about this baby is the very nice contoured, green canvas Micarta. So here's my new Benchmade Proper along with my REI 531 for comparison's sake.

4uBZUIJ.jpg

eJJvzWy.jpg

Love the REI 531. The perfect ultralight/backpacking knife.

Love the REI 531. The perfect ultralight/backpacking knife.
The 531 is a lotta knife in a package that feels like you're carryin' nuthin'. Good slicer and BM does a great job with either their S30V on the REI or their stock 154CM. It's like having a deadly pack of gum in your pocket.

I think I've been through all my Micarta, but this thread could use a little bump, so here's a shot from back in the day when these were my only two Griptilians. The SBK was my first and the Igorded scales were my first aftermarkets.

9j2piby.jpg

Last edited:
Back