Made a Tough Decision This Weekend...

I still love my GSOs. They're among the best production designs I've come across, and I feel like if you can get one for the cost out of the factory they probably represent the best cost/value ratio of any production knives. That said...

I've unfortunately got some bills that need taking care of (having a baby is expensive!) and I have no choice but to sell some things off. I have ample collections of a few different knife companies and makers, none of which I want to let go of. I'm one of those people though, that likes to have a nice assortment from my favorite companies, not just one or two from each of them. This means I basically had to choose one manufacturer/maker to say goodbye to, and I decided that it would be Survive! Knives.

I'm not angry at Guy or anyone at his company. It just comes down to two things for me:

1. I'm seeking a refund for knives I placed on order one year ago. One in the hand is worth two in the bush, as it's said.
2. I find the GSO line is somewhat one-note.

Regarding #1 above, as I said, I'm not angry at Survive! or Guy. I knew I was in for a long wait when I placed this order, but the allure of the new gen. 3.5 and the all-new 12 were too strong to resist. I wish I had them in my hand today. However, I would still most likely be selling them off with the others I'll be listing tonight.

As for #2 above, no disrespect meant by this statement. It's an awesome note, and in fact the way that there are subtle changes in the design from one knife and/or generation to the next is one of the very cool things about GSOs that I enjoy and appreciate. On the other hand, however, today's knife market is all about specialization. This mostly amounts to unnecessary design features that are more about marketing gimmicks than solid design, but there are a few makers out there who have a very cool way of integrating various features across designs that work extremely well. GSOs are their own thing, and I like this, and respect it. If I have to choose to keep things from a few makers, however, there are just a few that I've found to be a little bit more to my taste. It's a small list, but since I need to sell something, well, S!K just barely doesn't make the cut for me.

Anyway, it's frankly a sad day for me. I just sent a message asking for a refund, and I will be posting all my GSOs for sale on the exchange. Hoping for a quick resolution to my refund request, and also wishing all the best for the Survive! Crew and their customers. I also hope that someday I will be in a position to get more Survive! blades, and that Survive! will be in a position to get them to me in a relatively short amount of time.

As you said, you had to make a tough choice.
Selling knives (or taking refunds) are the things we do when things get tough.

Yes, unfortunately.
S!K is still in my top 5. It's just that now 5 knife collections is 1 too many for me to keep. :(

When you decide to go through with this. Hopefully I will get a chance to help you out, and me in return. Probably get a couple of them, if done Friday.

When you decide to go through with this. Hopefully I will get a chance to help you out, and me in return. Probably get a couple of them, if done Friday.

I am working on posting them now. Check the fixed blades sale forum in about 15 minutes and let me know if you are interested in any of them. :):thumbsup:

A baby will do that! You should keep the 4.7. Best blade out there. Congratulations on the new addition!
Yeah, they hit you in your heart... and your wallet. :)

I thought hard about keeping the 3.5 and the 10. Then I was thinking hard about keeping the 4.7. Then the 5.1. Finally, I just gotta sell them all and move on with things, or else I will just look to buy them all back again. :confused:

Congrats on your new responsibility. I hope all goes well. The cost of having them and bringing them home compares to your first flea market knife. The next twenty years is like getting into the hobby and collecting. The cost high, the value priceless. It changes the way you see the world.

I tapped out this week. My order was nearing two years old.

Got my refund.

I’d Survive ever gets their crap together and caught up or gets the SK like readily available like they keep saying, I will happily buy more.

But for now my patience is tapped out. Fantastic knives do me no good if I don’t have them in hand and two years is too damn much.

I got a reply from Jordyn already today, saying they would begin processing my return. I'll be happy to get some more GSOs or some SKs again, someday.

I also just had a baby, our first, a boy. And after the recent production update I’d been contemplating requesting a refund on all open orders and I finally decided they had been sitting on my money long enough and the money is better served on things for my son. I just emailed my refund request. It’s a shame because I was looking forward to the 4.1, 4.5, and 5.1 I have ordered, maybe I’ll try again in the future when the wait time isn’t years. I’m keeping my 4.7 and 5.1 I already own though.

Congrats on the baby! FWIW, don't order any S!Ks, you'll want more or regret your decision once you get one. There is the used market. Also FWIW, I think the 1st gen SKOs are still fantastic knives, including 4.7s, and you can still get a used one for a reasonable price and always sell it for about what you paid for it.

Back