"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Wow, Lyle, that's a beauty! Do you think the main blade has been altered, or is it original? Somewhat of a unique shape.

The shape of the pattern is different too.

I’ve thought the same and said so in the farmers jack thread, but I really don’t know. I’m going to inspect the kick because it looks good closed. It’s been cleaned, so harder to see.

I don’t like them cleaned, but it’s not always your choice.

Cleaned or not (and it looks sympathetically cleaned) it's a true example of the very highest quality that Sheffield was able to achieve, a very long time ago. Likely Edward VII but it could pre a pre WW1 George V as well.

Thanks, Will

Fantastic skill and workmanship on the two pearl folders from chuko and LongBlade.
Beautiful example and stag on wlfryjr's folder.

Lyle - Great looking T Turner & Co FJ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - nice classic Sheffield stag and interesting pattern as a FJ as you noted differences - are you sure you didn't have a choice when you bought it :p ...

Thanks all for the compliments on the Hinchcliffe :thumbsup:

Since Lyle has me thinking stag and horticulture :) I guess I'll come back to a few more quills later and share this older IXL Wostenholm Hawkbill (stamped George/Wostenholm/Sheffield and abit of a different IXL deep stamp on blade)...

Lwi36rE.jpg

DQfX5m9.jpg

JSkWPFt.jpg

Thanks Blademan 13 Charles, and all :thumbsup: ... That knife is no doubt a handful and that stag makes such a great functional handle material as well ;) .. though I won't be hacking down any plants with it :) ...

Charles - Another stunner :thumbsup: ... a wharncliffe whittler at just over 2" with milled liners, domed pins - again that Sheffield skill!!! Thanks for showing these beauties... I find it interesting that of the knives you have shown, and probably more that you own as well I am guessing, that many have engraved shields - that is a cool touch :cool: ...

Lyle - Great looking T Turner & Co FJ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - nice classic Sheffield stag and interesting pattern as a FJ as you noted differences - are you sure you didn't have a choice when you bought it :p ...

Thanks all for the compliments on the Hinchcliffe :thumbsup:

Since Lyle has me thinking stag and horticulture :) I guess I'll come back to a few more quills later and share this older IXL Wostenholm Hawkbill (stamped George/Wostenholm/Sheffield and abit of a different IXL deep stamp on blade)...

Lwi36rE.jpg

DQfX5m9.jpg

JSkWPFt.jpg
:eek::eek::eek: WOW, ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!

Longblade- Stag to die for. The English and Germans just knew how to Haft a Knife with the most desirable Stag on Earth - there’s no doubt about that.
Beautiful Knife.

Mike - An incredible checkered MOP congress with that Rodgers mark of quality, skill and "finesse" :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... What a gem!!

LongBlade - That old (very old) Wostenholm is both rugged and beautiful looking.
chuko - That may be a small knife, but what great style character it packs.
galvanic - Wow, that is a killer piece.

George Butler. From a friend that knows way more than I do. "Tweedale's book says the Butler firm dates back to before 1774, and GEORGE Butler became boss and namesake circa 1837. Butler's acquired the ART (in the oval on the pile side of the blades) word mark in 1861. However, ENGLAND dates this knife after 1890, and the high quality construction suggests before 1915."
Levine's says the KEY mark was from Steer & Webster 1867. On the downside, someone was either very bad at sharpening or cleaned the blades. I'm still working on getting everything to open and close without a knife pick.

pOu1DWJ.jpg

wbJmS17.jpg

jmwjajb.jpg

caPDKoi.jpg

8PYKnlO.jpg

sFOIqMM.jpg

Longblade, Once again matey- Great Knife! I am sure after looking long and hard at that beautiful I*XL, that that Knife has Pressed Stag, What a Sweetheart of a Knife! Interesting too because that knife has everything going for it, great Swedge work , Long Pulls going right through to the Tang - earlier Stamping...and then....Spun rivets!...so this has me thinking- when ( if there was in fact an even time- even within one company ) or if there was an actual time period for I*XL to stop Hand Hammering pins and start the Spun Rivet method? as this Knife is quite early!

Sensational Butler right there Mike my friend, I personally think that knife is great!

Back