"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

Wow guys some nice and unusual knives, congrats!

Picked up this Sheffield made fruit knife, if I'm reading the hallmarks correctly made by William Needham in 1906, has some beautiful work done to the MOP.

View attachment 1419440 View attachment 1419441 View attachment 1419442

That's a beauty :cool: I see a lot, but the blades are often floppy from wear, the soft silver obviously wearing very quickly, and the prices usually don't reflect their condition. These two Cowlishaws, from 1916 and 1836, were picked up inexpensively :thumbsup:

2dUPHvd.jpg

C7cZTtN.jpg

I'm with Duncan - nice showing of fruit knives John and Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... Always nice MOP handles on those knives :)..

Has anybody ever seen a handle on a fruit knife other than MOP or sterling silver (or gold) ? Not sure I ever remember seeing one in ivory either .. Just curious but maybe stag would look out of place on a fruit knife ;) ...

Last edited:
I'm with Duncan - nice showing of fruit knives John and Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... Always nice MOP handles on those knives :)..

Has anybody ever seen a handle on a fruit knife other than MOP or sterling silver (or gold) ? Not sure I ever remember seeing one in ivory either .. Just curious but maybe stag would look out of place on a fruit knife ;) ...

Thanks Lee (and Duncan) :) After the invention of stainless steel, the days of the silver-bladed fruit knives were numbered, and the new fruit knives were considerably less expensive, and had different handle materials. Here's an unusual one by Granton, with a ring-opener, 'The Granton Midget', not a great pic I'm afraid :(

qZdFi2G.jpg

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: .. Nice to see an example of fruit knives post-MOP years - and that is a pretty cool knife despite the less fancy handles because of the ring turn mechanism :) !! But indeed that helped to answer my question regarding handles on that pattern...

Thanks Jack :thumbsup: .. Nice to see an example of fruit knives post-MOP years - and that is a pretty cool knife despite the less fancy handles because of the ring turn mechanism :) !! But indeed that helped to answer my question regarding handles on that pattern...

Thank you Lee :) Granton are still going in Sheffield, but that's the only folding knife I've ever seen with their patented edge (and I've only seen one other example of that pattern) :thumbsup:

Wonderful examples shown on the past few pages by LongBlade, David Schott, Jack Black, and Augie. Great to see the paperwork along side the Turrill knife, and the two "Leg" knives posted are lovely examples with fine detail work on the shoes. Augie's carved pearl fruit knife is a stunning example. The interesting stainless "Granton Midget" posted by Jack inspired the showing of the following knife.

While stainless steel was invented in 1914, it doesn't appear that the English cutlers used that form of steel until around a decade later. Joseph Rodgers advertised pocket knives with stainless blades as early as 1927, and Wostenholm had the same at least by 1930. Enclosed is a pearl handled Wostenholm folder with the words "stainless steel" stamped on the back of both blade tangs. Also enclosed is an ad from 1930 showing this model. They were obviously quite proud of this "new" form of steel, but most Sheffield cutlers including Rodgers and Wostenholm continued using carbon steel on the majority of their folding knives.

View attachment 1420336

View attachment 1420337

Always useful to see the catalogue pictures, primary source :) Suspect that early on stainless was viewed as a substitute for silver bladed knives, not for hard work stuff like carbon;) The early material was likely not very edge holding but with a fruit knife this is less important, ever sharpened a silver blade knife...talk about blade loss:eek: Stainless would of course transform table cutlery, silver does not impart taste but the much harder plated EPNS stuff certainly does...plus it needed constant cleaning.

This one is not nearly as illustrious as the others shown but I think fruit knives were churned out in very large quantities as gifts/expendibles. Not all contain maker or year marks just the Sterling hallmark/assay office. This example is very thin and measures 7cm 2.75" too small to be practical?

zaaGXUI.jpg

tKAe7iK.jpg

Last edited:
Harry Brearley, the inventor of stainless steel, wrote extensively about his discovery, both in his autobiography Knotted String, and elsewhere. His writings shine a fascinating light on the workings of the Sheffield factory system, and the individuals who ran those factories. Brearley discovered stainless in 1913, and the first stainless knives were made by Robert (R.F.) Mosley the same year. Knife-blades were still being hand-forged in Sheffield at this time, and understanding that the new steel needed very particular and exact HT, Brearley recommended that Firth's, whose employ he had been in when discovering its stainless properties, recommended that the steel only be supplied already heat-treated. He was ignored by his former employer, who without his knowledge (as joint patent-owner) sent out samples to half a dozen of Sheffield's biggest cutlery factories. These included Rodgers and Wostenholm, but also Ibberson, who claimed to be the first firm to use stainless for pocket knives. According to Brearley, folding knives were made from it prior to WW1 (1914-18). The manufacturers used various names to describe the new steel, but it was supposed to be marked 'Firth-Brearley Stainless'. Firth's quickly reneged on this, calling it 'Firth Stainless', and while a legal action by Brearley forced them back in line, they again reneged later. Here are a few examples of early stainless knives, with their various stamps and etches. Please excuse the poor quality of the old photos :thumbsup:

eTL8ypE.jpg

TN08hLk.jpg

MBWyfJ3.jpg

tPhOeCK.jpg

grpyBOU.jpg

2HOmb9y.jpg

xCC8YxX.jpg

The less common Firth-Brearley Stainless mark, the last example can be dated exactly to 1935.

KLwOXrl.jpg

oBN9dY7.jpg

Psb7OFB.jpg

We are commonly told that the early stainless wasn't very good, or that it wouldn't hold an edge, and it's true that the Sheffield cutlers, for the most part, preferred to continue to use carbon steel. However, the Sheffield factory owners, during this period, were often both lazy and stupid, and clearly didn't understand that different HT methods were needed. More importantly, the cutlers didn't like it, and didn't want to work with it. When you understand that most Sheffield cutlers were effectively self-employed, on 'piece-work', and had to buy their own tools, this is entirely understandable, because working stainless was much harder on their tools than carbon. Stan Shaw has told me about the early opinions of the cutlers he worked with, saying that the early stainless could wear a file in no time. "It were hard as glass."

Nice knives Herder and Will :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... Interesting info regarding the knives Herder and Will :)... and you may be right Will that many were made, given away at least as gifts, etc - certainly

Here's another for this thread and though not a fruit knife (sorry for the digression) it is sterling silver at least in terms of handles ;)...

Mappin & Webb have a long history starting a 150 years ago or so, and if I understand correctly they were most well-known for their silver items - not necessarily knives though they made some high quality ones that I understood were close to the quality of Rodgers... They had different locations over the years throughout England (and even Scotland I believe) and I think the Sheffield location which I believe has been there for many years still exists and is the only remaining site - Jack Black Jack Black - Jack would know for sure? :) ... (As an aside Tweedale has a rather long historical account of Mappin & Webb)...

This Mappin & Webb Sterling Silver Whittler was made in 1909 according to the silver hallmark and was made in Sheffield - also noted in hallmarks (which exist on both mark and pile sides).. this knife is on the minty side and 3 & 1/4" closed, sterling silver handle and a nice wedged backspring - it truly doesn't really look to have been used much if at all (a sleeper as they say ;)...).. Check out the tolerance between the blades in the top down view - they can't get any closer and yet no blade rub whatsoever after 111 years :cool: - that is Sheffield skill and quality for sure :thumbsup: ... The pile side stamp has the Mappin & Webb trademark of "Trustworthy"... I think this is a good example of a Mappin & Webb knife which I know are not the easiest to find in good condition...

nmgtV2z.jpg

06mDvuA.jpg

LtE5Enz.jpg

ACZNV2o.jpg

LzQln36.jpg

uRYRNaS.jpg

Harry Brearley, the inventor of stainless steel, wrote extensively about his discovery, both in his autobiography Knotted String, and elsewhere. His writings shine a fascinating light on the workings of the Sheffield factory system, and the individuals who ran those factories. Brearley discovered stainless in 1913, and the first stainless knives were made by Robert (R.F.) Mosley the same year. Knife-blades were still being hand-forged in Sheffield at this time, and understanding that the new steel needed very particular and exact HT, Brearley recommended that Firth's, whose employ he had been in when discovering its stainless properties, recommended that the steel only be supplied already heat-treated. He was ignored by his former employer, who without his knowledge (as joint patent-owner) sent out samples to half a dozen of Sheffield's biggest cutlery factories. These included Rodgers and Wostenholm, but also Ibberson, who claimed to be the first firm to use stainless for pocket knives. According to Brearley, folding knives were made from it prior to WW1 (1914-18). The manufacturers used various names to describe the new steel, but it was supposed to be marked 'Firth-Brearley Stainless'. Firth's quickly reneged on this, calling it 'Firth Stainless', and while a legal action by Brearley forced them back in line, they again reneged later. Here are a few examples of early stainless knives, with their various stamps and etches. Please excuse the poor quality of the old photos :thumbsup:

eTL8ypE.jpg

TN08hLk.jpg

MBWyfJ3.jpg

tPhOeCK.jpg

grpyBOU.jpg

2HOmb9y.jpg

xCC8YxX.jpg

The less common Firth-Brearley Stainless mark, the last example can be dated exactly to 1935.

KLwOXrl.jpg

oBN9dY7.jpg

Psb7OFB.jpg

We are commonly told that the early stainless wasn't very good, or that it wouldn't hold an edge, and it's true that the Sheffield cutlers, for the most part, preferred to continue to use carbon steel. However, the Sheffield factory owners, during this period, were often both lazy and stupid, and clearly didn't understand that different HT methods were needed. More importantly, the cutlers didn't like it, and didn't want to work with it. When you understand that most Sheffield cutlers were effectively self-employed, on 'piece-work', and had to buy their own tools, this is entirely understandable, because working stainless was much harder on their tools than carbon. Stan Shaw has told me about the early opinions of the cutlers he worked with, saying that the early stainless could wear a file in no time. "It were hard as glass."

Excellent historical info and lovely examples of stainless steel Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... I think I was writing my post above when you submitted this :) ...

Beautiful knife my friend :)

Here's another for this thread and though not a fruit knife (sorry for the digression) it is sterling silver at least in terms of handles ;)...

Mappin & Webb have a long history starting a 150 years ago or so, and if I understand correctly they were most well-known for their silver items - not necessarily knives though they made some high quality ones that I understood were close to the quality of Rodgers... They had different locations over the years throughout England (and even Scotland I believe) and I think the Sheffield location which I believe has been there for many years still exists and is the only remaining site - Jack Black Jack Black - Jack would know for sure? :) ... (As an aside Tweedale has a rather long historical account of Mappin & Webb)...

This Mappin & Webb Sterling Silver Whittler was made in 1909 according to the silver hallmark and was made in Sheffield - also noted in hallmarks (which exist on both mark and pile sides).. this knife is on the minty side and 3 & 1/4" closed, sterling silver handle and a nice wedged backspring - it truly doesn't really look to have been used much if at all (a sleeper as they say ;)...).. Check out the tolerance between the blades in the top down view - they can't get any closer and yet no blade rub whatsoever after 111 years :cool: - that is Sheffield skill and quality for sure :thumbsup: ... The pile side stamp has the Mappin & Webb trademark of "Trustworthy"... I think this is a good example of a Mappin & Webb knife which I know are not the easiest to find in good condition...

nmgtV2z.jpg

06mDvuA.jpg

LtE5Enz.jpg

ACZNV2o.jpg

LzQln36.jpg

uRYRNaS.jpg

Mappin & Webb were one of the many Sheffield firms my maternal grandmother worked for Lee. That's a lovely 3-blade Penknife in great condition :)

This is a 4-blade Penknife, kindly gifted to me by H herder , which bears the marks of both Mappin & Webb and Brookes & Crookes (not that uncommon because of the Little Mester system). No blade-rub on this one either :) :thumbsup:

xBjVM89.jpg

wcE6ZQG.jpg

UUrJfGQ.jpg

ONREAE3.jpg

Excellent historical info and lovely examples of stainless steel Jack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:... I think I was writing my post above when you submitted this :) ...

Thanks you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful knife my friend :)

Mappin & Webb were one of the many Sheffield firms my maternal grandmother worked for Lee. That's a lovely 3-blade Penknife in great condition :)

This is a 4-blade Penknife, kindly gifted to me by H herder , which bears the marks of both Mappin & Webb and Brookes & Crookes (not that uncommon because of the Little Mester system). No blade-rub on this one either :) :thumbsup:

xBjVM89.jpg

wcE6ZQG.jpg

UUrJfGQ.jpg

ONREAE3.jpg

Thanks you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Wow !! - that is so cool jack that your maternal grandmother worked for Mappin & Webb :thumbsup: :cool: :cool: :thumbsup:... and that is a very cool senator not only based on that info but the mix of stamps - that is 2 great makers in one knife :):) ... Indeed I think it took great skill and patience to make those blades so tight fitting and yet no rub - the M&W whittler is literally 1/4" thick and that includes handle, liners and blades ;)...

One of the patterns I collect is the Ruler Knife, such as this one by Joseph Westby.

Etl7OXo.jpg

rv927bq.jpg

XqmgzqI.jpg

Many Sheffield firms produced them, and they often had advertising. Often, they used James Chesterman rulers, and sometimes they featured the Chesterman mark. Knife collectors have speculated about whether or not Chesterman ever made knives themselves, or had them made for them. While the jury is still out, finding this James Chesterman MOP Penknife was a very interesting find for me :thumbsup:

MQATbAn.jpg

Wow !! - that is so cool jack that your maternal grandmother worked for Mappin & Webb :thumbsup: :cool: :cool: :thumbsup:... and that is a very cool senator not only based on that info but the mix of stamps - that is 2 great makers in one knife :):) ... Indeed I think it took great skill and patience to make those blades so tight fitting and yet no rub - the M&W whittler is literally 1/4" thick and that includes handle, liners and blades ;)...

Thanks Lee :) She worked for a lot of Sheffield firms, including Joseph Rodgers too, and James Chesterman (mentioned above), where she worked alongside her mother.

I don't think blade-rub would have been acceptable on a knife in those days, no matter how many blades it had :thumbsup:

To say the least Jack ^
That’s a great Knife Mike.
I just want to say guys I love this thread - Lately Ai find it difficult to take photos or post as much as I’d like.
GREAT to see Herder back!! We missed you my friend. Interesting seeing Herder post up that gorgeous Stainless as I picked up a small T Shell pen Knife with nicely stamped Tangs - the ever so popular Rodgers crosses - with the etched Stainless Blades.
Not only did the Stainless etch take my interest as I seemed to be correct thinking this was a late 20’s or 30’s Knife, but the Tangs are stamped slightly different as per the norm, I know being a Pen that room is the issue - but I have seen them cope in the fitting of these Rather than place them the way they have with this wee knife!

Hey - friends don’t get me wrong - I haven’t discovered a long lost one-off made for the King Knife - I know this - but it was just a small difference which added to the catching of my Eye.
I’m going to try and find time to post it up here in the Weekend.

Back