Madrid, Spain knife laws (specifically assisted-opening)

All,

I'll be traveling to Madrid, Spain in a few weeks and was wondering is someone familiar with the laws there knows if assisted-opening knives (NOT switchblades of course) are ok? Specifically, I would be taking a Kershaw Leek.

Thank yo.

I assume you've read this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#Spain

The last sentence of the first paragraph is particularly daunting - basically no carrying, displaying or using a "pointy" knife in public.

I'd love to hear about actual real life experiences in Spain, as I was thinking of taking a road trip to that area some time later this year...

Thank you. The Wikipedia page was one of the first things I checked but it seemed to say that 'no knife was legal to carry', which I found very strange. Since then I found a post, linked below for whoever is interested, that states that there are some reasonable limits:
https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=74345 (especially check the post by ThePeacent)

My father in law lives in Spain and their situation really sucks. Basically it boils down to what guardia civil ends up questioning you. You may only carry a knife if you can prove you have a legitimate use for it and it is up for the guardia civil questioning you if you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. Forget about self-defense. That is not a legitimate reason there. I've heard of 400 euro penalties over small swiss army knives that could hardly be considered weapons. Don't have any knives in the passenger area of a vehicle or in any public areas. If you buy a knife there or decide to take one with you keep it in the trunk of the car and make sure it isn't pointy. Pointy blades of less than 11cm are considered puñales and are illegal. In fact, you might be better of with a non-locking sheepfoot blade.

If you see any knife stores there the following brands are pretty good: Joker, Aitor, Muela & Nieto. Good luck to you and have fun.

Basically it boils down to what guardia civil ends up questioning you. You may only carry a knife if you can prove you have a legitimate use for it and it is up for the guardia civil questioning you if you have a legitimate reason for carrying it. Forget about self-defense. That is not a legitimate reason there. I've heard of 400 euro penalties over small swiss army knives that could hardly be considered weapons. Don't have any knives in the passenger area of a vehicle or in any public areas. If you buy a knife there or decide to take one with you keep it in the trunk of the car and make sure it isn't pointy. Pointy blades of less than 11cm are considered puñales and are illegal. In fact, you might be better of with a non-locking sheepfoot blade.

Thank you. I'd heard of a variety of ends and I better err on the side of caution... :\

Thank you. I'd heard of a variety of ends and I better err on the side of caution... :\

Yeah man. I'm going to have to go there soon and I'm not to happy about the knife carrying situation either. Just remember this is the country where an 83 year old man was convicted of murder because he shot and killed 1 of 2 robbers than went into his house. One armed with a sharp chisel, the other one armed with a gun that turned out to be fake. They were beating up his wife. He pretended to go get some money and instead went to grab a revolver. He gave a warning shot to the floor and on the second shot he happened to hit the guy right in the neck. I mean how well can an 83 year old aim and at night and the judge said he could have fired another warning shot instead. Lol. AND he has to pay 20,000 euros to the mother of the dead thief. Ridiculous and unfair.

http://www.elmundo.es/espana/2018/04/12/5acf33dde5fdea9e638b4683.html

Sad to hear this is the law there now. I was in many parts of Spain in the 1970s and knives were sold everywhere. Many were switchblades of all sorts. Things have changed I see......

Yeah man. I'm going to have to go there soon and I'm not to happy about the knife carrying situation either. Just remember this is the country where an 83 year old man was convicted of murder because he shot and killed 1 of 2 robbers than went into his house. One armed with a sharp chisel, the other one armed with a gun that turned out to be fake. They were beating up his wife. He pretended to go get some money and instead went to grab a revolver. He gave a warning shot to the floor and on the second shot he happened to hit the guy right in the neck. I mean how well can an 83 year old aim and at night and the judge said he could have fired another warning shot instead. Lol. AND he has to pay 20,000 euros to the mother of the dead thief. Ridiculous and unfair.

I've heard of similar stories in the UK. With or without warning shot, if they broke into his house and were beating his wife, he could killed both of those bastards and I'd have called it self-defense. There is no freedom if one cannot even defend one's safety and those of loved ones and friends.

It is sad that European countries are turning into this...

Last edited:
Yes. What is worst, crime rates as far as I know stayed the same. Criminals find access to various weapons or turn ordinary objects into weapons and it is the ordinary citizens who pay the price. Politicians only make those laws to wash their hands. Good luck with your trip.

Hi, You have a great limitations in Spanish language. The old man was convicted for have a weapon without permission not for selfdefense.

P.D : Ya se de que me suene tu nick, eres uno de los que postean en ese nido de ratas que es el FAB. Todo tiene sentidp

Last edited:
Hi, You have a great limitations in Spanish language. The old man was convicted for have a weapon without permission not for selfdefense.

P.D : Ya se de que me suene tu nick, eres uno de los que postean en ese nido de ratas que es el FAB. Todo tiene sentidp

My Spanish is perfectly fine. It is my mother tongue as I am Mexican and a well educated one for that matter. And it clearly says in the article I posted that he was convicted for having a weapon without permission AND for homicide:

"Jacinto S.M., el anciano que en 2015, cuando tenía 80 años, mató de un disparo a uno de los dos jóvenes que entraron a su casa para robar en el municipio tinerfeño de Arafo ha sido condenado a dos años y medio de prisión por homicidio, con la eximente incompleta de legítima defensa.

La sección segunda de la Audiencia Provincial de Santa Cruz de Tenerifecondena además a Jacinto S.M. a dos años de prisión por tenencia ilícita de armas, aunque en este caso acuerda la suspensión de la pena condicionada a que no delinca en el plazo de tres años".

It is clear it is not my Spanish that is wanting but yours AND your English.

If you mean by FAB foro armas blancas I have like 10 posts there so I don't know what you mean. I posted more in Mexico armado.

P.D. Qué baboso eres jajaja. Saludos. :)

Back