Magpul is getting into the knife game with their new, limited Rigger

Vdgggua.png

You would think that a company whose claim to fame is modestly priced polymer accessories would come up with a knife in a similar genre. A molded polymer handle and moderate blade steel folder of high quality on the cheap would have sold like hot cakes to all the operators.

You would think that a company whose claim to fame is modestly priced polymer accessories would come up with a knife in a similar genre. A molded polymer handle and moderate blade steel folder of high quality on the cheap would have sold like hot cakes to all the operators.

My thoughts exactly. There is some serious dissonance with their product line. It’s way inconsistent.

I was expecting something much more like a competitor to the Delica, or Boker Plus USA, etc...

That is a really good point.

Welcome to the "Rigger to" 101 frosh intro course. Pay your frosh intro tuition now and get ready for the soph course fees later on. Line up, kids.

Exactly. I remember Magpul when they were a company offering well designed, useful products at an affordable price.
Seems they are getting high on their own supply... $500 really? And who is making these for them?
In no way Magpul is Wilson Combat.

I’d like to see more “hard use” knives using a well tuned pb washer pivot rather than bearings. A good pb washer action can be excellent flppers when done right.

I just feel like “hard use” knives with ball bearings kind of don’t know what they want to be.

Is this a reference to how some people hold certain firearms? I'm not a firearm guy but I'm trying to understand the reference.

Yeah, watch a Magpul Chris Costa video. It's hard to take Magpul seriously when they try to make themselves the king of tacticool. What makes this guy even more of a doofus is the addition of a forward pistol grip to his rifle... that he never uses. Some people in the gun community really suck this stuff up and buy anything with the Magpul tag on it. They'll probably sell a few of their ridiculously priced knives, not to me though.

I’d like to see more “hard use” knives using a well tuned pb washer pivot rather than bearings. A good pb washer action can be excellent flppers when done right.

I just feel like “hard use” knives with ball bearings kind of don’t know what they want to be.

Not even knowing what you consider to be hard use, I would have to agree. Bearings are fine if you want an ultra smooth action, great for flippers, but a hard use knife should be built to take abuse, and be more durable. Smooth deployment isn't a requirement in any "hard use" situation that I can think of.

I must be out of the loop cus I literally can't stand that knife, visually speaking. I love Magpul too. I'm just so freaking over the "tacticool" folders.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Also......these clowns are coming out the gate poised to compete with Chris Reeve and Hinderer. Its insulting to see that price tag without a well deserved reputation.

$500!!!! What a steal! USD too!!
Secondary locks are my least favorite "unnecessary additions for coolness". Although maybe that knife needs a secondary lock for good reason. If I am going to "hard use" a knife that runs on bearings, Id probably need it to have that secondary lock.
That being said, its an ok looking knife. Not my cup of tea...and does look like a chicken. Its on the boring side for me. I agree, if it came in around the $200 mark...they would sell a lot.

Also, anyone know who is actually manufacturing this knife?
Food for thought...if it was a well known USA knife company or maker making this knife for magpul, would our opinions be different? Mine wouldnt change. Or maybe...hmmm...naw. $500!

519JCV1QYGL._SL500_.jpg

Don't be so hard on the poor little Magpul, guys.

For $500 I would buy a CRK or a custom fixed blade from one our fine forumite friends. Something I know is either worth the $500 or could be counted on to save my bacon.

That must be an a amazingly good foam-lined case that comes with that knife if they're charging $500 for it.

Back