**MAIL CALL**- traditionals

This old LL BEAN Carver just arrived in the mail, no clue who manufactured it but I couldn't pass it up for the price.
Whoever originally owned it knew their way around a stone.
It was sharpened a lot but sharpened well with no scarring across the blade like you normally see.
Here it is as I got it

And after I took the recurve out of the blade.

I have one. Takes a fine edge. I think it's either a camp or fish knife. Got mine in a NH thrift store for $2.

I have one. Takes a fine edge. I think it's either a camp or fish knife. Got mine in a NH thrift store for $2.
It does look a like their fillet knife, but this one is definitely a Carver / poultry knife.
They did offer kitchen cutlery.

It certainly would make a good fillet knife.

In New England, a fish/camp knife is not a fillet knife but a more substantial blade. It wasn't for tent camping but for "Camp", small cabins for fishing, hunting and escape. LL Bean sold camp knives as well as other cutlery.

The latest knife-related item I received in the mail is this MugBoss that came last week. It's currently on my desk at my office, but I haven't really made up my mind where its permanent place will be, or what knives (and/or other tools) it will eventually contain.
mugboss.5.8.19.jpg

- GT

The latest knife-related item I received in the mail is this MugBoss that came last week. It's currently on my desk at my office, but I haven't really made up my mind where its permanent place will be, or what knives (and/or other tools) it will eventually contain.
View attachment 1125068

- GT

Love the Mug Boss. I think I need one.

View attachment 1124643

Recent mail call.
Charlie's GEC 97 SFO
Case smooth dark red bone sowbelly
Case yellow synthetic mini trapper with caplifter - my current edc.

Excellent choices. I love the two Case’s. The Trapp-Lifter is a fantastic knife. I agree about the awesomeness of cap lifter knives. The sowbelly looks great in that color.

IMG_20190508_160018186_zpsneeo8kza_edit_1557357111397_zpsdxegnrfx.jpg

Case Mini Copperlock in Antique Smooth Bone. Just landed. Love it!

Love the Mug Boss. I think I need one.
Thanks, Buzz; it's a splendid desk accessory! :) Someone posted one here last summer, IIRC in the background of a knife pic, and it drew immediate attention. Some folks got one (or more) that same week, but it took me almost a year to order one. :rolleyes:

- GT

Some folks got one (or more) that same week, but it took me almost a year to order one. :rolleyes:

- GT
Slow Poke. :D
I keep mine in the garage and it holds my "Garage Knives"... Hard-use knives that I don't mind getting messed up.

Slow Poke. :D
I keep mine in the garage and it holds my "Garage Knives"... Hard-use knives that I don't mind getting messed up.
You call me "slow", but I prefer to think of myself as "contemplative". :rolleyes:
Mine might end up on the kitchen table, holding pens/pencils, pocket knives, and eyedrops/other meds/vitamins.

- GT

Delrin done right...
Just got this little 3-1/4" Queen Cut Jack with imitation winterbottom in the mail. Scored it for under $20, and it is built so very well. Centered blade, no gaps, strong snap, flush spring, and even blade grinds. Not sure when it was made, but they were on their game that day. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

It does have a pin crack, but for the price, I'm not complaining. It's going right in the pocket.

Delrin done right...
Just got this little 3-1/4" Queen Cut Jack with imitation winterbottom in the mail. Scored it for under $20, and it is built so very well. Centered blade, no gaps, strong snap, flush spring, and even blade grinds. Not sure when it was made, but they were on their game that day. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

It does have a pin crack, but for the price, I'm not complaining. It's going right in the pocket.

My very favorite delrin is smooth or Schrade OT sawcut fl, but this does look pretty nice.

This old LL BEAN Carver just arrived in the mail, no clue who manufactured it but I couldn't pass it up for the price.
Whoever originally owned it knew their way around a stone.
It was sharpened a lot but sharpened well with no scarring across the blade like you normally see.
Here it is as I got it

And after I took the recurve out of the blade.
Nice job.:thumbsup:

View attachment 1125068

- GT
I could find lots of uses for that.;):thumbsup:

IMG_20190508_160018186_zpsneeo8kza_edit_1557357111397_zpsdxegnrfx.jpg

Case Mini Copperlock in Antique Smooth Bone. Just landed. Love it!
It's a beauty!

A brace of brass (that's bad). Haha. A 4" brass trapper by Jeffery Mitchell and a brass light.View attachment 1125452 View attachment 1125453
Awesome knife, Alan! I looked hard at that one.:cool:

More kitchen cutlery, in this case an old rebranded / contracted Dexter 45a10H.

All sharpened up and ready to go.
Another good one!:thumbsup:

Delrin done right...

Great looking little Queen, John!:thumbsup:

I just received this beautiful little (7.8") ladder damascus hunter from the maker G.L. "Gerry" Drew off the exchange.
Light, sharp and nimble, this one will get lots of use.

P9wLdJz.jpg

I also bought a #97 in jigged Brazilian cherry off the exchange. I much prefer the Tidioute in this knife, as it has the long pull which I love, and does NOT have the redundant second pull, which I don't. This one has light but good snap, and is beautifully made. The jigged wood has a nice warm feel in the hand.

TePOigz.jpg

yw3Y75z.jpg

Very good day. I am going to post about my incredible experience ordering from Bobby Toole and take some better photos as well to show off this ironwood soon! My new favorite knife. What a gentleman. I want to place another order already!

The Bose is nice too but the main blade has tons of play when closed (enough to rattle when shaken) which I wish was mentioned when I bought it but oh well. The blade open is tank sturdy... Still waiting on my coffin jack to get back from Case and then this one might be going to them. It's really nice other than that...imagine I couldn't tighten the pivot in a vise with a knife so complex so I'll live with it.

Edit* little oil seemed to help the whittler?! I've read these forums enough to know I should always try that before complaining.

Last edited:
Back