1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

**MAIL CALL**- traditionals

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Ramrodmb, May 6, 2019.

1. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I have one. Takes a fine edge. I think it's either a camp or fish knife. Got mine in a NH thrift store for $2.

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It does look a like their fillet knife, but this one is definitely a Carver / poultry knife.
    They did offer kitchen cutlery.

It certainly would make a good fillet knife.

3. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    In New England, a fish/camp knife is not a fillet knife but a more substantial blade. It wasn't for tent camping but for "Camp", small cabins for fishing, hunting and escape. LL Bean sold camp knives as well as other cutlery.

4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The latest knife-related item I received in the mail is this MugBoss that came last week. It's currently on my desk at my office, but I haven't really made up my mind where its permanent place will be, or what knives (and/or other tools) it will eventually contain.
    mugboss.5.8.19.jpg

- GT

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Love the Mug Boss. I think I need one.

Excellent choices. I love the two Case’s. The Trapp-Lifter is a fantastic knife. I agree about the awesomeness of cap lifter knives. The sowbelly looks great in that color.

Ramrodmb and Matt_WY like this.
  6. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Case Mini Copperlock in Antique Smooth Bone. Just landed. Love it!

7. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, Buzz; it's a splendid desk accessory! :) Someone posted one here last summer, IIRC in the background of a knife pic, and it drew immediate attention. Some folks got one (or more) that same week, but it took me almost a year to order one. :rolleyes:

- GT

8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Slow Poke. :D
    I keep mine in the garage and it holds my "Garage Knives"... Hard-use knives that I don't mind getting messed up.

9. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    A brace of brass (that's bad). Haha. A 4" brass trapper by Jeffery Mitchell and a brass light. IMG_9139-1024x768.JPG IMG_9141-1024x768.JPG

10. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    More kitchen cutlery, in this case an old rebranded / contracted Dexter 45a10H.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All sharpened up and ready to go.

11. 5K Qs

Jul 20, 2014
    You call me "slow", but I prefer to think of myself as "contemplative". :rolleyes:
    Mine might end up on the kitchen table, holding pens/pencils, pocket knives, and eyedrops/other meds/vitamins.

- GT

Fodderwing, Ramrodmb and JohnDF like this.
  12. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I like that :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Fodderwing likes this.
  13. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Delrin done right...
    Just got this little 3-1/4" Queen Cut Jack with imitation winterbottom in the mail. Scored it for under $20, and it is built so very well. Centered blade, no gaps, strong snap, flush spring, and even blade grinds. Not sure when it was made, but they were on their game that day. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

It does have a pin crack, but for the price, I'm not complaining. It's going right in the pocket.

[​IMG]

Pinemoon, veitsi_poika, Llasi and 6 others like this.
  14. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    My very favorite delrin is smooth or Schrade OT sawcut fl, but this does look pretty nice.

JohnDF likes this.
  15. wintermute

wintermute Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Jack Black likes this.
  16. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Nice job.:thumbsup:

I could find lots of uses for that.;):thumbsup:

It's a beauty!

Awesome knife, Alan! I looked hard at that one.:cool:

Another good one!:thumbsup:

Great looking little Queen, John!:thumbsup:

JohnDF likes this.
  17. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @Ramrodmb Thanks Mark. I'd been looking for something along those lines and I'm a sucker for metal covered knives.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  18. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I just received this beautiful little (7.8") ladder damascus hunter from the maker G.L. "Gerry" Drew off the exchange.
    Light, sharp and nimble, this one will get lots of use.

[​IMG]

I also bought a #97 in jigged Brazilian cherry off the exchange. I much prefer the Tidioute in this knife, as it has the long pull which I love, and does NOT have the redundant second pull, which I don't. This one has light but good snap, and is beautifully made. The jigged wood has a nice warm feel in the hand.

[​IMG]

Jack Black, Pinemoon, Pomsbz and 6 others like this.
  19. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    [​IMG]

Very good day. I am going to post about my incredible experience ordering from Bobby Toole and take some better photos as well to show off this ironwood soon! My new favorite knife. What a gentleman. I want to place another order already!

The Bose is nice too but the main blade has tons of play when closed (enough to rattle when shaken) which I wish was mentioned when I bought it but oh well. The blade open is tank sturdy... Still waiting on my coffin jack to get back from Case and then this one might be going to them. It's really nice other than that...imagine I couldn't tighten the pivot in a vise with a knife so complex so I'll live with it.

Edit* little oil seemed to help the whittler?! I've read these forums enough to know I should always try that before complaining.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  20. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    These just got opened about 25 minutes ago...

SCCPAIR-1A.JPG