mailing knives to California

Please forgive me if this has been answered before, I am new here.
I make custom knives< mostly kitchen and survival knives. My wife is currently in L.A. to visit her mother and showed her nephew some pictures of my knives and he wants one. is it legal to send a 3-4 1/2 hunting knife to someone in Los Angeles from Texas? Are they legal to own there?
In Texas I am very abreast of the gun and knife laws. Other states, not so much. I really don't want to get either of us in any trouble.
oh yeah, I am not a troll, I promise. I am an avid hunter, shooter, fisherman and begining knife maker now that I am retired. And I have seen some really nice stuff from y'all. I also go on Texas Gun Talk Forum and National Gun Forum under the same name. Figured someone here might have a better answer for me on this.
If there is an introduction thread, I missed it, please point it out to me.
thanks folks. any answer would be greatly appreciated, friendly, snarky or otherwise. I have a thick skin.

I don't live in the City of Los Angeles so I am unfamiliar with their laws nor do I ever go there but, I do live in the County and basically own & carry what I want out here as long as it's not an auto over 2" BL.
Fixed has to be exposed openly.
I get knives sent to me all the time from BladeOps, KnifeCenter, etc.
Don't know if this answers your question.

I don't live in the City of Los Angeles so I am unfamiliar with their laws nor do I ever go there but, I do live in the County and basically own & carry what I want out here as long as it's not an auto over 2" BL.
Fixed has to be exposed openly.
I get knives sent to me all the time from BladeOps, KnifeCenter, etc.
Don't know if this answers your question.
Thank you very much. Pretty much. I figured it would be fine, but I also laws can vary drastically. My nephew wants a Damascus Guthook Skinner for some reason. He doesn't even hunt but thinks they look cool. And he's willing to pay for it, so.
I appreciate your answer.

Yes it is legal to own the described knives here (Los Angeles). We actually have fairly lenient knife laws. No autos over 2 like SW-EDC mentioned. As long you carry your fixed blade openly its legal (double edged / dirks / stabbing specific knives are questionable though).

thanks. I like the pooch. I have a little, 70 pounds, Rednose Pit named Bait. She is a little lovey girl. Loves to chase bubbles.

Yes it is legal to own the described knives here (Los Angeles). We actually have fairly lenient knife laws. No autos over 2 like SW-EDC mentioned. As long you carry your fixed blade openly its legal (double edged / dirks / stabbing specific knives are questionable though).

Do you know if it's legal to own automatics over 2" as long as you don't carry them in LA?

As far as I know, yes. In California you can own / collect automatics any size. You cannot carry any auto with a blade greater than 1.75 or 2 I believe. It is 100% legal to own / collect any auto though. I had a few experiences in mid 2000’s where a LEO explained the rules..

I’m by no means an expert here, nor a lawyer.. please double check with a google search.

As far as I know, yes. In California you can own / collect automatics any size. You cannot carry any auto with a blade greater than 1.75 or 2 I believe. It is 100% legal to own / collect any auto though. I had a few experiences in mid 2000’s where a LEO explained the rules..

I’m by no means an expert here, nor a lawyer.. please double check with a google search.

Thanks. I looked through google results but found nothing but conflicting and vague interpretations of the law for Los Angeles.

That's not true. CA/LA describe ALL fixed blade knifes as "dirks/daggers." Being double-edged has nothing to do with anything. It's about being a fixed-blade.

There's actually a lot of good information in that link, and it's mostly accurate. But there are a few mistakes-

Mr. Helfend mistakenly includes switchblades with blades 2" or longer among those knives that are illegal to "possess". It is illegal to CARRY switchblades with blades 2" or longer, or to posses them specifically in the driver or passenger area of ones vehicle, but it's not illegal to posses them AT HOME (or the trunk of ones car). On two occasions he refers to possession of a switchblade when he should say "carries", they can be two very different things.

Here is the actual statute in California state law regarding the illegalities of switchblades, from the official CA state government legislative website. This is where I get my information regarding California state knife laws-

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=21510.&lawCode=PEN

Also, Mr. Helfend mistakenly lists which knives are illegal under state law to posses on college campuses. The only knives that are illegal to posses on a college campus in California are fixed-blades with blades longer than 2.5". There is no law against possessing or carrying folding knives on a college campus. Here is the statute in California state law pertaining to knives on school campuses-

Section 626.10 refers specifically to colleges.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=626.10.&lawCode=PEN

And here's a link to that site- https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...d.xhtml?tocCode=PEN&tocTitle=Penal+Code+-+PEN

It's no wonder people get confused about Californias knife laws when even lawyers mis-quote the law.

As far as carrying dirks, daggers, single or double edged fixed-blades of any type, the lawyer (Mr. Helfend) got it right, it's perfectly legal to possess and carry them in public as long as they are carried openly, regardless of size.

Last edited:
Back