Maine Axes -post 'em up

EDIT Changed post title to Maine axes.

Idea from Crazyotter in another post on Snow & Nealley's.

Old Snow & Neally's and others (the ones actually MADE in Maine). Post 'em if you've got 'em.

S&N "Our Best" Hoosier:

S&N "Our Best" axe: (pictured on right)

Last edited:
square peg, i learn something everyday.:thumbup:

all good

the Hoosier pattern is crazy,:D i've never seen anything like it, looks like it'd cut coming and going

buzz

i have a nice S&N Penobscot bay , old school Hudson bay but i don't know how to add images to my post???

buzz

i went in today to buy the LL Bean boys axe...

someone else bought it last week... its my on damn fault:(

made by S&N...

My oldest axe in house, forge welded bit. 3lb. Very compact head shape.

I used this to chop thru a good size oak log it was big. I took turns with my Dayton Kelly perfect 3.5lb and my Council jersey both excellent axes. This one was the most comfortable to use I was able to chop for long periods of time before resting compared to the others. I finished the log with this one.
Pretty good splitter too. I haven't used it since it is on the mantle now. Pretty well worn. Probably 75 years old guessing.

p718220723-4.jpg

Thanks for all the comments on the Hoosier. I'll have to try it on softwood.

Sweet old axe Cattledog.

i have a nice S&N Penobscot bay , old school Hudson bay but i don't know how to add images to my post???

buzz

I use webshots.com. I post photos there (upload from my PC), then click on Link to It 9in the lower right hand corner), and then click on 600 and then select and copy the url under "Post in a Forum". Paste in the reply here and voila.

I'll add one I finished today.

Sharpened and hung this little Snow & Nealley 'Our Best' Chopper tonight on a 24" handle. I think this axe head was much longer. It was a quick and dirty job but it's a user. Also worked on a new old hammer for about 20 minutes.

Before (on right):

After:

Last edited:
Dang Cooperhill, your making me look bad. I haven't posted mine because none are handled, and here you are hanging them left and right. I got to say though, its nice to see some old axes getting good treatment. :)

bring this thread back. I want to see more sneally axes! Maybe we could use this for maine patterns too?

Heres a few S&Ns with maple handles. 3 pound, 2 3/4 pound and 2 pound L to R

Picture1183.jpg

throw in a good picture of the maine wedge. they are all a little different it seems, with thickness/thinness and the high centerline. I have a john king wedge with more centerline and thinner wedge, that axe cuts nice. I bucked a lot of small diameter green pine with that, like 3 swings on each side would cut a 6 inch log.

Picture078.jpg

I swear one of these days I'm going to track down a Maine pattern, Maine-made S&N. I'm extremely proud of the history my state has in edged tool manufacture and think it's a travesty that the industry died here.

I swear one of these days I'm going to track down a Maine pattern, Maine-made S&N. I'm extremely proud of the history my state has in edged tool manufacture and think it's a travesty that the industry died here.

You mean you haven't yet? I'm not saying there easy to find, but they are the most common axe I've found, here in central Maine. Speaking of which, camera time.

G-pig got me hooked on the Maine / half - wedge / wedge pattern. This is my latest:

and a little 2.25# S&N on a 19" handle.

Typing before photos. I tried to keep them ordered but kept finding more. Something thats always confused me is the "modern" Snow and Nealleys, in the later half of my photos. They don't have the true Maine pattern, but the steel is too good and different from the chinese Snow and Nealleys. I personally think they were made just before the company went to China.

True Maine patterns...
wj840k.jpg

My only double... G-pig, I've heard most of these were handforged, so that can explain the different in profiles... I'd swear this one was designed with a root blade and a chopping blade.
2viqb8p.jpg

A Oakland axe, you can barely see it, but there are markings on the bottom. I've only seen these on the Oakies.
kf2hqo.jpg

An LL Bean, everyone cross their fingers I get the canoe axe to go with it!
ny8zsy.jpg

2z5rc06.jpg

A boys axe, with a minty fresh poll. The only one I've hung so far.
b3wj5y.jpg

6rukus.jpg

One last look...
30s7v5f.jpg

Now here are the "modern" Snow and Nealleys... still S&N, still quality steel, just non Maine pattern. Mystery.
2rhusk7.jpg

29usvnb.jpg

23tt15.jpg

Here are some I forgot... should be it... one is labeled Snow and Nealley, one isn't but apears similar, and the small one is another Oakie.
1433m7l.jpg

ma7xpd.jpg

Btw, I've found three surefire ways to tell Snow and Nealley axes. One is a steel wedge, "modern" and old. Two is a faint or illegible stamp, but a strong weight mark on the underside (photo below), and for the "modern" mysteries, the beautiful patina. If its a Maine pattern with odd letters on the underside and in front of the eye, chances are its an Oakie.
14cuulc.jpg

Last edited:
Ive got a newer S&N that is like those. still a maine pattern but with more mid blade hollow. good axes, they made the best ones in american until the ship off to china. Lucky to find all those maine patterns, i only see once in a blue moon.

42, S&N are great but pretty much any maine wedge pattern is good too. especially oakland axes.

Crazyotter--that Maine-pattern boy's axe has such perfect lines it may cause me to weep openly at its beauty. :D

G-pig--believe it or not I haven't stumbled across too many of them in the areas I usually frequent. I really want two, technically. One that's super minty to keep in good shape and treat right and then one "hard use" grade one without serious deformation but enough scars that I won't feel bad if I use it in less than ideal circumstances. I know I'll find 'em for the right price eventually--which is to say "cheap." The Yankee thrift runs strong in the family. :p

Back