Maine Axes -post 'em up

Speaking of JMTCO, I got this today. I came here to ask if anyone knew what it was, never heard of them. Nice coincidence.

This was at an estate sale 2 weeks back. I didn't know at the time what it was, but the internets sorted me out, and I went back and got it the next day (cheap). Neat little cruiser in great shape.

34723092203_4e97d1317a_b.jpg

I live in upstate NY and oddly, we're driving 22hrs west and north to go canoeing. I'll try and get a more interesting photo of it there.

Last edited:
The diamond M with the two crescent moons. I have one. Mine doesn't have Brecks on it. I think the logo was discussed before but I can't remember if anyone came up with information.

Anyone know who made this?

IMG_20170709_204103 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20170709_204029 by Justin Ly
Anyone know who made this?

IMG_20170709_204103 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20170709_204029 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20170709_204114 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
Collins made at least some of the Brecks Victor axes. Brecks is for Joeseph Breck & Sons.
I think those crescent moon M stamps have been identified. I was thinking it was Mann but it makes sense that I could be mistaken on that and it is Collins.
Collins made at least some of the Breecks Victor axes. Brecks is for Joeseph Breck and Sons.
I think those crescent moon M stamps have been identified. I was thinking it was Mann but it makes sense that I could be mistaken in that and it is Collins.

Last edited:
Collins made at least some of the Breecks Victor axes. Brecks is for Joeseph Breck and Sons.
I think those crescent moon M stamps have been identified. I was thinking it was Mann but it makes sense that I could be mistaken in that and it is Collins.
Did a little more digging. The crescent moons with a m is said to resemble a design found on a paper label of a Mann axe. Not at all sure just who made it.

That LL Bean head is a little bit later model I think. As far as my research can tell and from the examples I have collected, the 50's and earlier heads were a different shape. I would guess 60's through 80's for that head but I am not exactly certain when they (S&N) changed the shape. There are at least 4 variations of the LL Bean Hudson Bay head, all with different shapes. The original handle would have been about 23 inches unless it was the shorter Penobscot kindling hatchet version.

Grafton, I’d love to hear more details on your S&N Hudson Bay axe research. Specifically the characteristics of the 4 variations and corresponding time periods (I know I’m assuming that the ll bean products you're referencing were the same as the S&N product and if that’s not the case I should be set straight).

Below is a S&N HB I got a few days ago. It's in great condition but I'm pretty sure the haft wasn't original so I still have to figure out what I'm going to do about that. There are also a couple of pictures with my ‘new owners’ Penobscot kindling axe for comparison. Anyway, I'm curious about the age and from your comments I would guess pre 60s (that's a big window) and it makes me curious about the 4 variations you mentioned. For example, one of the primary differences in the axes below is the angle of the blade slope. The older axe has a 25 degree slope while the newer one has a 40 degree slope. It looks as though the axe you are commenting on has a 40 degree slope as well. Are there just the 2 different angles over time or are there others I haven’t seen? Other differences would be length (old is 5 13/16", new is 6 3/4"), wedge shape and pre-blade poll length (old is 1 7/8", new is 1 3/4").

Thank for any and all insight you have to share! And I apologize if some of this is covered earlier…most of the pictures don’t appear give the age of the post.

Great stuff all around, thanks all!

gF7LvLg.jpg

qdltUhp.jpg

woSWACn.jpg

wMjRn2P.jpg

6wA4Fh1.jpg

c6SfgFe.jpg

fVuRfdR.jpg

b58nSS1.jpg

DSIMtbn.jpg

dk1oo4X.jpg

Last edited:
DSC08481_zpsaeo3vwfp.jpg

If you need a spanner wrench to get that big wedge out...

That is cool. Your first post here and I gather not your first rodeo G Glenn Bailey .
Very different heads - at least from one another and time. Seeing them together is telling. Thank you :thumbsup:

Any good stories on either?

DSC08481_zpsaeo3vwfp.jpg

If you need a spanner wrench to get that big wedge out...

That is cool. Your first post here and I gather not your first rodeo G Glenn Bailey .
Very different heads - at least from one another and time. Seeing them together is telling. Thank you :thumbsup:

Any good stories on either?

Thanks! Got lucky on the old one- poorly posted action site grab. The other I bought new- I was excited to support the new S&N owners. It's great for limbing on slopes- using the blade as a hook for moving brush is invaluable with questionable footing.

That older Hudson Bay by S&N is in great shape Glenn. I have three of that style, one is marked L.L. Bean. I also have an L.L. Bean Hudson Bay that appears to have been made by Collins. My opinion is the older S&N axes are a superior design. Mine came on three different length handles 18, 22 and 24 inch. Not sure if any of the handles are original but they all are old and well-fitted with the big iron wedge that S&N was known for.

Back