Maker's Mark

How do you press your maker's mark in sheaths? I know I can take a 5# hammer and "whack" the mark in cased leather. How professional the results are will depend on how much rest I got the night before. (now that I don't drink, a hangover wouldn't be an issue) Then there is the Arbor Press. Nice, neat, clean, proper registration and uniform depth. Very professional. (don't own one and don't have any idea what tonnage it would take) Then, of course, there is the old standby H-frame hydraulic press. Mine is a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight. Needless to say 20 tons is far too much pressure for a delicate material like leather.............but it WILL work and I already own it. With no gauges there's no way to really reliably figure out when enough is enough. So what do you use to get consistently professional indentions in your sheaths and other leather working projects?

I use Thor, for maker's mark and punches:

h6OBoMu.jpg

NFRKm6F.jpg

hhwz97A.jpg

Zg7p1hx.jpg

Also a branding iron:

Apzz2eh.jpg

Vh57qEd.jpg

Click bate thought weez were talking about drinking :) carry on . I do love good leather sheaths as well!

Last edited:
Ha-ha, willrise, I had to re-read my title to understand. Before I quit drinking, Makers Mark and Crown Royal Vanilla were my "go to" bottles. :rolleyes:

Dave, I take it "Thor" is your mallet. ??

Ha-ha, willrise, I had to re-read my title to understand. Before I quit drinking, Makers Mark and Crown Royal Vanilla were my "go to" bottles. :rolleyes:

Dave, I take it "Thor" is your mallet. ??

Yes indeed, it’s a huge one by Barry King. It’s like four pounds or something. We have a modified arbor press that holds my stamp for the knives but ya still whack it and a 20 ton air over hydraulic that we use for die cutting spurstraps and some sheaths but for leather I just use Thor. Really starting to like that branding iron though as it works on all types of leather, not just veg tan.

Got my maker's mark stamp ordered tonight. Bought a handle with it so I can make a decision as to whether I prefer hammering it into the leather or pressing in under my hydraulic press.

Here's my proof from the maker of the stamps.

That looks great!

I received my Maker's Mark yesterday. It looks nice, and is a big hunk of steel! But it doesn't work very well with a mallet. I guess I'll need to get a press for it to make it look real good.
I don't have a real huge mallet. I figure that the money I would spend on a huge mallet would be better spent towards a decent 2 or 3 ton press.

I received my Maker's Mark yesterday. It looks nice, and is a big hunk of steel! But it doesn't work very well with a mallet. I guess I'll need to get a press for it to make it look real good.
I don't have a real huge mallet. I figure that the money I would spend on a huge mallet would be better spent towards a decent 2 or 3 ton press.

Got some pics?

A deadblow hammer works pretty good and can be found easily. Heck wal mart has them

Wow, that looks like a nice one. Any thoughts about how you are going to keep it from rusting?

Thanks! It is nice. I will treat like I would a knife since it is carbon steel after all. I will keep it oiled when I am not using it. Then when I need to use it I will clean the oil off with 99% alcohol. Then reoil it when I am finished using it. I'm going to find a nice case to keep it in and put some custom cut foam in it.

Back