Makers: Post pics of your knives.

1/16" aeb-l, 0.003" before sharpening, 10dps. Zebrano handle with gaboon ebony bolster. I used a 1/32" black g-10 face for the bolster and cut the guard slot with a slitting saw. Very clean fitup this way.

IMG_2089 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

IMG_2090 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

I have two makers marks. The one with just my initials is the more economical line. I'm finding people like my heat treat and geometry, but would like a lower cost access point. I do a more basic finish, and less expensive materials for handles and furniture. Usually I use synthetic handles, but this fellow is a good friend who made me some awesome tongs.

Santoku2_zpsd2rotzyg.jpg

Santoku in 52100 steel at 65HRC! Koa handle.

1/16" aeb-l, 0.003" before sharpening, 10dps. Zebrano handle with gaboon ebony bolster. I used a 1/32" black g-10 face for the bolster and cut the guard slot with a slitting saw. Very clean fitup this way.

IMG_2089 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

IMG_2090 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

I have two makers marks. The one with just my initials is the more economical line. I'm finding people like my heat treat and geometry, but would like a lower cost access point. I do a more basic finish, and less expensive materials for handles and furniture. Usually I use synthetic handles, but this fellow is a good friend who made me some awesome tongs.
Looks great! 1/16" steel? That's a thin cutter you have there!

1/16" Cru-wear at Rc63/64. Mild distal taper, right hand grind, right hand wa handle. Dragon's breath file pattern on the spine, although 1/16" steel doesn't give a lot to work with. Handle is Koa brought home by a friend from a trip to Hawaii. Gaboon ebony bolster with 1/32" g-10 face on the bolster.

IMG_2108 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

IMG_2107 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

I didn't clean off the blade very well, obviously. :(.

Hi Willie, the steel is aldos 52100 clad w/ 410 SS. It definitely has more than 3 layers. I just followed the advise of Stacy, Bill B. and Devin T. on how to manipulate the pattern. It is pretty much all stuff Ive read on Blade forums. I was surprised by how easily the steel moved, Ive never done any type of forging before. I am pretty happy at my first shot at it but now that I can see the possibilities Ive got some ideas :)

Last edited:
So many sweet knives in this thread thank you all for posting them!

Hi Willie, the steel is aldos 52100 clad w/ 410 SS. It definitely has more than 3 layers. I just followed the advise of Stacy, Bill B. and Devon T. on how to manipulate the pattern. It is pretty much all stuff Ive read on Blade forums. I was surprised by how easily the steel moved, Ive never done any type of forging before. I am pretty happy at my first shot at it but now that I can see the possibilities Ive got some ideas :)
Tim, I'm not sure if Aldo's is done this way, but the Takefu stuff that Blade Gallery sells has layers of nickel sheet between the stainless jacket and the V-Toku2 core to prevent excessive carbon migration.

Yes this stuff has the thin nickel layers but then there is an additional thin layer that etches black ..so its 410ss/nickel/something dark/nickel/ 52100 /nickel/ something dark/nickel/410ss so 9 layers actually. was quite the surprise. Now would blade gallerys stuff still be considered a san mai ? ie, does the nickel really count as additional layers?

Cool Thread!

I have not been posting here that much but hope to get back in the swing of the computer thing.

Studio Practice takes up most of my time.

But here are a few ones I was really happy with and a shot by Caleb of two prototype Kiritsuke Chef models I will be creating in the coming months.

Enjoy

-DON:)

rainbow pair.jpg

Kiritsuke Chef Proto.jpg

small knives.jpg

xl personal 7.jpg

Cool Thread!

I have not been posting here that much but hope to get back in the swing of the computer thing.

Studio Practice takes up most of my time.

But here are a few ones I was really happy with and a shot by Caleb of two prototype Kiritsuke Chef models I will be creating in the coming months.

Enjoy

-DON:)

rainbow pair.jpg

Kiritsuke Chef Proto.jpg

small knives.jpg

xl personal 7.jpg
Don, Great looking blades & handles!:thumbsup:

Don thanks for sharing, I just love your work! What is that technique on the blades? differential hardening , water quench or something like that? It is amazing

Don thank you for posting these they are INCREDIBLE!!!

Warren, Don, Timos, all of you....those are GREAT looking knives! Excellent work represented here. One I just finished, another Tosogata Santoku, walnut and AEB-L.....

San2_zpsmuoo2w0l.jpg

San3_zpsiehdoci3.jpg

San4_zps3crxfkad.jpg

Don Carlos, Like like the "Moon" (?) inserts you put in the handles, and definitely like the look of that French Peasant knife! John

Back