Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Warren, Don, Timos, all of you....those are GREAT looking knives! Excellent work represented here. One I just finished, another Tosogata Santoku, walnut and AEB-L.....

San2_zpsmuoo2w0l.jpg

San3_zpsiehdoci3.jpg

San4_zps3crxfkad.jpg
Does the Walnut have a bit of a bias cut? I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised when I find this in Walnut. Yours is a really nice piece, and the knife is great too!

It's probably the edge of a crotch piece. Great blade. I'm doing more d-handles as people are return customers and less intimidated by left or right hand specific knives.

WIP. My first attempt at a "wa-ish" handle. Split dowel core, with 1/16 O-1 registration pins. old grown Brazilian rosewood, curly maple and blue G10.AEB-Lblade. Hope it survives faceting the handle. ;)IMG_0665.JPG

1/16" Cru-wear at Rc63/64. Mild distal taper, right hand grind, right hand wa handle. Dragon's breath file pattern on the spine, although 1/16" steel doesn't give a lot to work with. Handle is Koa brought home by a friend from a trip to Hawaii. Gaboon ebony bolster with 1/32" g-10 face on the bolster.

IMG_2107 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

I didn't clean off the blade very well, obviously. :(.

Dat koa... wow.
Hey, any chance of a pic of your filework? I'd love to see it!

Dat koa... wow.
Hey, any chance of a pic of your filework? I'd love to see it!

No pics of the firework on this one, but this is the same pattern:

IMG_1175 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

IMG_1194 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

Here's one I did four years ago:

100_2171 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

It's a variation on the vine and thorn firework. I showed the first few to my wife, and she said it looks like "dragon's breath." The name stuck and my customers ask for it by that name now.

Last edited:
WIP. My first attempt at a "wa-ish" handle. Split dowel core, with 1/16 O-1 registration pins. old grown Brazilian rosewood, curly maple and blue G10.AEB-Lblade. Hope it survives faceting the handle. ;)View attachment 720389

I didn't reply in the other thread, but I measured the four octagonal wa handles I have, and they are 120-130mm long.

That's a great knife btw!

I didn't reply in the other thread, but I measured the four octagonal wa handles I have, and they are 120-130mm long.

That's a great knife btw!
Thanks, man. It wasn't glued at that point, The dowel and pins held well enough to let me do the basic shaping. I glued it up with Tight Bond last night and the blade will be glued in with West System.

Thanks, man. It wasn't glued at that point, The dowel and pins held well enough to let me do the basic shaping. I glued it up with Tight Bond last night and the blade will be glued in with West System.

The heel of the knife doesn't stick out past the pad of my palm in a pinch grip. That's my reference. The angle follows the angle of my wrist.

Pictures maybe tomorrow. I said screw it and waited until this evening when it got cool enough and went to the shop and did the corners on the KMG. It turned out okay for a first try. Took it to 1500 grit and the first couple of coats of red alkanet root gunstock oil finish are drying as we speak. It will need a few more, but that can be done after glue up. I still have to get the little handling dings off the blade and etch my logo.

This is certainly the cousin to keep locked in the garage compared to the beauties posted already, but it was my first Wa style handle on a rescued blade. All mahogany octagon handle with 4 coats of Tru-Oil.

Pictures maybe tomorrow. I said screw it and waited until this evening when it got cool enough and went to the shop and did the corners on the KMG. It turned out okay for a first try. Took it to 1500 grit and the first couple of coats of red alkanet root gunstock oil finish are drying as we speak. It will need a few more, but that can be done after glue up. I still have to get the little handling dings off the blade and etch my logo.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=63451&cat=1,42524

These are almost as fast as the grinder, and allow a lot of control.

Not fabulous. A little wobbly but not bad for a first attempt. The curvature of the bottom makes it a bit tougher. You can't just throw it up against the fence on the router table. I did not dye the maple because I wanted to see how multiple applications of the red oil would work. Not bad, but I am still trying to figure out how it got this gorgeous orangey color once a few years ago in a sample block. It was almost like what you would get from Japanese lacquer. My next handle is going be an all blackwood straight wa with some kind spacer, either thicker blue G10 or something exotic like amboyna or "interior" fossil mammoth or walrus ivory.
IMG_0667.jpgIMG_0668.jpg

Last edited:
Not fabulous. A little wobbly but not bad for a first attempt. The curvature of the bottom makes it a bit tougher. You can't just throw it up against the fence on the router table. I did not dye the maple because I wanted to see how multiple applications of the red oil would work. Not bad, but I am still trying to figure out how it got this gorgeous orangey color once a few years ago in a sample block. It was almost like what you would get from Japanese lacquer. My next handle is going be an all blackwood straight wa with some kind spacer, either thicker blue G10 or something exotic like amboyna or "interior" fossil mammoth or walrus ivory.
View attachment 724290View attachment 724291

Afzelia Burl works well as a contrast with dark wood. Tagua nut works well too. I've also used ivory paper micarta in applications like this.

Love the knife and handle btw.

190 x 53 Gyuto in 52100 made on request.

190Gyuto-1.jpg

I dig it, so classy looking! :thumbsup:

Also on a side note, a lot of online kitchen knife nuts are professional cooks or influenced by them, so it seems many prefer a longer gyuto 240 to 270 mm blade. But talking with regular folks, I feel most are conformable and prefer 100 to 190 mm length in their home kitchens. I think this knife would sell like hotcakes at a arts and crafts show/festival or high end kitchen wares shop. :thumbsup:

Back