Makers: Post pics of your knives.

A little late checking out this sub forum! Natlek....LOVE that one! Warren, you know I have a fondness for your blades too! Brian, my main concern was an exposed heel, so the plunge had to go somewhere (could do no plunge, but that brings it's own challenges), and I basically just copied my 4" hunter model in that regard. Gave the spine a slight S curve instead of being straight or arced, as I couldn't make those look right to me. Because of that, it's not quite 2" from the heel to spine, just under it. 1 15/16" about.

o2vN66E.jpg

I have been enjoying selling blades only lately, there is just so many handle makers out there now...a lot of chefs are into doing the wood work portion themselves ...cool stuff :)

How much do you subtract from your price for no handle? My limited experience has taught me that buying a custom handle is a lot more expensive than the cost of materials for making one as labor obviously makes up the vast majority of the cost.
o2vN66E.jpg

I have been enjoying selling blades only lately, there is just so many handle makers out there now...a lot of chefs are into doing the wood work portion themselves ...cool stuff :)

I have 3 petty's in the kitchen. One in 1.2519 I had made years ago, another I had made in White 2 san mai, and another Masamoto HC (steel is similar to W1). After finishing this knife, I decided to keep it, so the 1.2519 and White 2 will be for sale in the kitchen knife sub forum, if you're interested. This baby is made from one of my favorite steels, CPM M4. Heat treat was done by Peter's, 64HRC! Hand finishing steels like M4 at that hardness level makes me want to self immolate! I have one more hunter in M4, then I'm done with that alloy for a while! The results are worth it, tho. Handle is mesquite wood, and the blade features a rounded and polished spine and choil. 0.080" blade stock. Edge is 10°/15° at 3 micron. Have yet to use it! Can't wait until Monday (fajita night). Well, Saturday is fajita knife but we're celebrating my wife's birthday on Saturday. I bet you were interested in knowing all of that, huh? ;)

vWOq7i3.jpg
zb8YXTI.jpg

Stuart, have you thought of using a scotch brite finish? I'm doing most of z-wear that way to save myself from growing old and dying before finishing these higher alloy knives. I polish the spine and heel for contrast.

As a matter of fact, I did hit this one on the fine scotch brite belt. That after a 400 grit finish. I then went over that with 800, but M4 at 64 just laughs at anything above 220, IMHO. I HATE hand finishing this alloy. It's worse than CFV by a long shot (and rightly so). I do love the way scotch brite belts seems to tie the finish together, smooths out everything. Helps with that satin finish. I have 2 of the exact same betls, but one of them has errant grit or something in it (when I got it). It puts scratches down the blades....so I keep it away from the shop! The other works fine.

As a matter of fact, I did hit this one on the fine scotch brite belt. That after a 400 grit finish. I then went over that with 800, but M4 at 64 just laughs at anything above 220, IMHO. I HATE hand finishing this alloy. It's worse than CFV by a long shot (and rightly so). I do love the way scotch brite belts seems to tie the finish together, smooths out everything. Helps with that satin finish. I have 2 of the exact same betls, but one of them has errant grit or something in it (when I got it). It puts scratches down the blades....so I keep it away from the shop! The other works fine.

I recently did some non pm cru-wear at Rc63. Sanding above 120 was a waste of time. I couldn't imagine M4 at that hardness. You could see the carbide clusters in the steel. I've been doing the initial hand sanding with diamond plates to take out any errant grinding scratches.

I recently did some non pm cru-wear at Rc63. Sanding above 120 was a waste of time. I couldn't imagine M4 at that hardness. You could see the carbide clusters in the steel. I've been doing the initial hand sanding with diamond plates to take out any errant grinding scratches.

Warren, some of the Dutch guys told me a few years back about using the Diamond plates for "hand sanding" on a lot of their blades. What grit/color do you use?

Warren, some of the Dutch guys told me a few years back about using the Diamond plates for "hand sanding" on a lot of their blades. What grit/color do you use?

I've got a 100, which is too course. I use a 220, then 350.

I like my plates too much! DiaSharp and Atomas. But....the cheaper diamond plates like Smiths and the like.....gives me something to think about.

I am not a bladesmith, but one of my friends has his own company. If it's ok with y'all, I'll ask his permission to post some pics of his gorgeous blades.

He is making me a custom blade and I will be happy to share once I receive the final product

[edit] Good lord, you fellas make some beautiful blades. I should have read up more on the forums before opening my mouth... now I feel dumb
I felt good about regrinding/sharpening and putting on new handles. Now I feel like I should be watching a youtube video on how to use a steel!

Here we go, ats34 .080 at the spine, orange/black/white ctek mix with G10 pins. This one is somewhere between a boning knife and a filet.
aImS4W9.jpg

These types of knives get used a lot. Well done.

yikes I can't remember if I have posted here or not...oh well :)

so you might have seen these already....

actually haven't made anything for 2 months, the first pic is the last set I made along with Mike Shindel of @bladeandhammer,
the bottom was sold to a guy I met on the golf course whose son is an aspiring chef -> always be selling :)

FYrlUfx.jpg

this is from Damascus by Randy Haas

joLPOWp.jpg

thought I would try some stag for a paring knife

cTenZJO.jpg

and a suminagashi Damascus nakiri with silicon bronze ferrule and leather,

LLzs819.jpg

Back