1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by jdm61, Jan 25, 2016.

1. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    A little late checking out this sub forum! Natlek....LOVE that one! Warren, you know I have a fondness for your blades too! Brian, my main concern was an exposed heel, so the plunge had to go somewhere (could do no plunge, but that brings it's own challenges), and I basically just copied my 4" hunter model in that regard. Gave the spine a slight S curve instead of being straight or arced, as I couldn't make those look right to me. Because of that, it's not quite 2" from the heel to spine, just under it. 1 15/16" about.

Brian77 likes this.
  2. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

I have been enjoying selling blades only lately, there is just so many handle makers out there now...a lot of chefs are into doing the wood work portion themselves ...cool stuff :)

milkbaby likes this.
  3. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    How much do you subtract from your price for no handle? My limited experience has taught me that buying a custom handle is a lot more expensive than the cost of materials for making one as labor obviously makes up the vast majority of the cost.

4. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    I have 3 petty's in the kitchen. One in 1.2519 I had made years ago, another I had made in White 2 san mai, and another Masamoto HC (steel is similar to W1). After finishing this knife, I decided to keep it, so the 1.2519 and White 2 will be for sale in the kitchen knife sub forum, if you're interested. This baby is made from one of my favorite steels, CPM M4. Heat treat was done by Peter's, 64HRC! Hand finishing steels like M4 at that hardness level makes me want to self immolate! I have one more hunter in M4, then I'm done with that alloy for a while! The results are worth it, tho. Handle is mesquite wood, and the blade features a rounded and polished spine and choil. 0.080" blade stock. Edge is 10°/15° at 3 micron. Have yet to use it! Can't wait until Monday (fajita night). Well, Saturday is fajita knife but we're celebrating my wife's birthday on Saturday. I bet you were interested in knowing all of that, huh? ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

milkbaby and Willie71 like this.
  5. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Stuart, have you thought of using a scotch brite finish? I'm doing most of z-wear that way to save myself from growing old and dying before finishing these higher alloy knives. I polish the spine and heel for contrast.

6. samuraistuart

Dec 21, 2006
    As a matter of fact, I did hit this one on the fine scotch brite belt. That after a 400 grit finish. I then went over that with 800, but M4 at 64 just laughs at anything above 220, IMHO. I HATE hand finishing this alloy. It's worse than CFV by a long shot (and rightly so). I do love the way scotch brite belts seems to tie the finish together, smooths out everything. Helps with that satin finish. I have 2 of the exact same betls, but one of them has errant grit or something in it (when I got it). It puts scratches down the blades....so I keep it away from the shop! The other works fine.

7. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I recently did some non pm cru-wear at Rc63. Sanding above 120 was a waste of time. I couldn't imagine M4 at that hardness. You could see the carbide clusters in the steel. I've been doing the initial hand sanding with diamond plates to take out any errant grinding scratches.

8. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Warren, some of the Dutch guys told me a few years back about using the Diamond plates for "hand sanding" on a lot of their blades. What grit/color do you use?

9. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    I've got a 100, which is too course. I use a 220, then 350.

10. samuraistuart

Dec 21, 2006
    I like my plates too much! DiaSharp and Atomas. But....the cheaper diamond plates like Smiths and the like.....gives me something to think about.

11. chipshopman

chipshopman

Oct 9, 2017
    I felt good about regrinding/sharpening and putting on new handles. Now I feel like I should be watching a youtube video on how to use a steel!

12. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Here's a couple that have recently left the shop.
    Nitro V gyuto at RC62 with 9" blade and Koa:

[​IMG]IMG_6162 by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

6 1/2" K Tip gyuto in 52100 at RC61 with Karelian Birch and Black Ash Burl:

[​IMG]IMG_6424 by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

13. Brock Cutlery

Brock Cutlery KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 10, 2015
    Finishing up this 254 by 54 mm 52100 Gyuto. Buffing, etching and what-not.

[​IMG]

14. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    Here we go, ats34 .080 at the spine, orange/black/white ctek mix with G10 pins. This one is somewhere between a boning knife and a filet.
    [​IMG]

15. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    These types of knives get used a lot. Well done.

16. timos-

Oct 22, 2012
    thanks guys! it will be going up against this [​IMG]half a pig!

Brock Cutlery and Willie71 like this.
  17. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
  18. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013

Great knife for that task. I use this for cutting up meat:

[​IMG]IMG_0810 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0809 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

19. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Nice slicer Warren. Looks like a two hander...a carni-zashi?

20. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    yikes I can't remember if I have posted here or not...oh well :)

so you might have seen these already....

actually haven't made anything for 2 months, the first pic is the last set I made along with Mike Shindel of @bladeandhammer,
    the bottom was sold to a guy I met on the golf course whose son is an aspiring chef -> always be selling :)

[​IMG]

this is from Damascus by Randy Haas

[​IMG]

thought I would try some stag for a paring knife

[​IMG]

and a suminagashi Damascus nakiri with silicon bronze ferrule and leather,

[​IMG]

Brock Cutlery and Willie71 like this.