Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Finished this one up.

250Gyuto-1.jpg

I actually have some knives sitting around doing nothing... so I might as well share, LOL. One of them was going to be my knife in the Shop Talk/Bladesmiths kitchen knife KITH this year, but I didn't finish it in time and still haven't made the sheath. I'm probably going to give it away as a graduation present to a friend.

RTFBj0lh.jpg

I almost submitted this one for the KITH when I didn't have the one above ready in time:

zbvYOYZh.jpg

LmRzhgQh.jpg

Oh well, there's always next year... and hopefullly my knives will be a lot better by then! :)

I actually have some knives sitting around doing nothing... so I might as well share, LOL. One of them was going to be my knife in the Shop Talk/Bladesmiths kitchen knife KITH this year, but I didn't finish it in time and still haven't made the sheath. I'm probably going to give it away as a graduation present to a friend.

RTFBj0lh.jpg

I almost submitted this one for the KITH when I didn't have the one above ready in time:

zbvYOYZh.jpg

LmRzhgQh.jpg

Oh well, there's always next year... and hopefullly my knives will be a lot better by then! :)
Those

RTFBj0lh.jpg

zbvYOYZh.jpg

LmRzhgQh.jpg

Those look great! The handles Look skinny but if they feel good thats what matters.

Those look great! The handles Look skinny but if they feel good thats what matters.

Thank you for the kind words! :)

I'm hoping to get ahead at some point and have something to send out to participate in next year's kitchen knife KITH.

It might be fun to do a pass around between makers sometime. send me a PM if anyone is interested

Once again, I forget to take a picture of finished knife before boxed up...but here it is before handle is finish sanded.
G71K5Gr.jpg

Ok, Here we have a CPM20CV 255mm K tip Gyuto. Full distal taper, .010 behind the edge before being convexed to zero...secondary bevel is somewhere between 15-20 degree inclusive. The bevels are ground on a 48" radius platen. Handle is some spectacular ipe burl from Ben Greenberg. Heat Treat was done by Peters to RC 62.
BmSIGjc.jpg
iOuuSex.jpg

Ok, Here we have a CPM20CV 255mm K tip Gyuto. Full distal taper, .010 behind the edge before being convexed to zero...secondary bevel is somewhere between 15-20 degree inclusive. The bevels are ground on a 48" radius platen. Handle is some spectacular ipe burl from Ben Greenberg. Heat Treat was done by Peters to RC 62.

Looks very nice Tim! Sounds like a difficult grind.
How did you finish the IPE?

I use a fresh VSM ceramic to cut all facets on grinder. Then use 150 grit red line and a steel backer to even everything up by hand. Refine the lines with red line 280 and the steel backer. Then I move to a leather faced wood backer and norton black ice paper up to 2000 grit. then a little drop of oil. the wood was actually pretty thirsty.

Very nice! I recently modified my work knife that has a 10 inch blade to a K tip and it works very well. I in fact use it for everthing rather than going to a paring knife.

Here is an absolute lazer. 2mm at the heel, 230mm long blade, full distal taper, ground to zero and 15 deg. inclusive bevels applied. Just a couple strokes on my nubatama 150 raised a burr. Refined with shapton Pros from 320 grit to 2K then 5K, stropped on a 10K imanishi. scary sharp.
s6sWMRj.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an absolute lazer. 2mm at the heel, 230mm long blade, full distal taper, ground to zero and 15 deg. inclusive bevels applied. Just a couple strokes on my nubatama 150 raised a burr. Refined with shapton Pros from 320 grit to 2K then 5K, stropped on a 10K imanishi. scary sharp.
s6sWMRj.jpg

That’s a performance cutting tool!!!

Back