Makers: Post pics of your knives.

This one is a wrap, finally! I got set back a bit but am getting back to it now.
This one is a pretty interesting knife. Very light with laser qualities, but it's a hollow on convex grind of course.
The handle holes were filled with black epoxy, matching the natural look, but no holes.

I am waiting for one response, but this one may still be available.

AEBL @ 63.
246 by just over 54mm.
Full distal taper from 3.3mm to 1.8mm a couple of inches from the tip. Tip is thin.

May-H-Gyuto1.jpg
May-H-Gyuto3.jpg May-H-Gyuto6.jpg May-H-Gyuto8.jpg

Yin and yang ..............1.5mm , 1.2519 in 63/64hrc grind almost sharp :)

h5CEdeW.jpg

0TAj1FM.jpg

Here's the latest kitchen knife out of my shop:
Hitachi Blue #2/stainless steel San Mai I got from Randy Haas at HHH Knives a while back. I have been tinkering with this one for the last year finally got the grind right and learned how to etch with coffee from an Instagram post by Mareko Maumasi. It really makes a huge difference in the quality of etch and leaves the stainless alone.
The handle is Silky Oak and African Blackwood with micarta and copper spacers.

fullsizeoutput_62a by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_62f by Robert Erickson, on Flickr

this was a fun one ... no frills large prep knife....i started my convexing with .030 behind the edge and ground in my distal taper vertically on the flat platen...along with the slight convex on the spine i ended up with 4 distinct facets on each blade face, then lightly belt finished with a 220 SC cork belt to blend it all together. So I found I can get a little more life from my belts if I grind full flat and then convex and switch back and forth several times, I end up getting down to final thickness quicker and save a 10$ belt along the way.
F3gutCr.jpg

Weird how direct sunlight washes out the color and figure of the wood, but shows all of the fingerprints on the blade.:p 240mm AEB-L @61-62. Stabilized amboyna burl scales, stainless micro-corby's. sharpened to 8000 grit then stropped with Smurf poo.

IMG_0730.jpg

first knife out my new AZ home and shop
6" of Damascus suminagashi quenched in water
pink ivory wood frame handle of G-10 and silicon bronze ferrule

YSf25Ge.jpg

ihFwj7Q.jpg

8.5" sujihiki in laminated white steel, stag Frame handle with African pink ivory wood and silicon bronze.

ZJ04dYD.jpg

xWVn3kL.jpg

Nvt9fQC.jpg

qz11gyD.jpg
jPae1Fj.jpg

In an effort to light a fire under this subforum and get some interest going for the knifes that many of us use the most, I would request that the guys who make kitchen knives post some pictures of ones they have made. The pics and knives don't have to be world class. Mine certainly aren't but I am willing to embarrass myself in public to further the cause. Join in. :D
View attachment 609649
240mm Gyuto AEB-L amboyna
View attachment 609650
240mm gyuto W2 blonde horn, musk ox, thuya IIRC
View attachment 609651
270mm sujihiki W2 blonde horn curly koa
View attachment 609652
240mm gyuto 400 layer 1084/15N20 ladder pattern blonde horn, can't remember ;)

I have a few knives in the style you have but I can not read Japanese, do you think you would be able to help me identify the knife?

Just finished this 270mm Sujihiki in 2.5mm RWL34 at 64 HRC.

The blade is finished to 600 grit and has a convex grind. The handle is stabilised curly birch with a pakka wood ferrule and G10 liners.

1WmeB7L.jpg

7kH5vwa.jpg

ZwNDEPv.jpg

QgONqXx.jpg

First time posting on bladeforums. I started making knives about a year and a half ago. I've made about 20 knives so far. Thought I'd walk you through some of my progression (fair warning some of these are a from very early in my progression so they're pretty rough). All the knives shown are made with 1095....

First time trying to make and use micarta. Handle looks pretty horrible but I still use this one pretty regularly.
8seOOsy.jpg

Jokingly call this the baby santoku. All resin handle, don't like the finish on it but it was an educational experience. Also acid etched in ferric chloride.
LBoQ7WU.jpg

Nakiri. I really like the way the micarta turned out on this knife. Unfortunately, I got a little carried away with the acid etching.
KeVRvYz.jpg

Pair of knives I made for my parents with cedar handle. I know cedar isn't ideal for knife handles, I had multiple scales break throughout the process, but I think they turned out well.
IV1MiGJ.jpg

Finished this one last week. I decided to leave the scaling marks from heat treat on and polished the distortions.
iMN01um.jpg

And a work in progress
HAip7HR.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed. Feel free to give feedback. Thanks!

A couple friends of mine whose son got married today (since I wasn't invited, I'm assuming he got hitched and not cold feet), asked for a kitchen knife as one of their gifts to the newlyweds. I finished this santoku with saya just the day before they flew out to the wedding. It's 15N20 steel, Philippine ebony burl and dyed maple burl handle, and quilted maple saya. To me, this Philippine ebony is the most beautiful wood I've used for handle yet; I wish that had a bunch more of it.

8vRP3DEh.jpg

Tv2P5vSh.jpg

lJMXRy9h.jpg

5Mu6gA0h.jpg

Back