Makers: Post pics of your knives.

some recent work

c0jkVwh.jpg

fSMRkW6.jpg

The last of the culinary knives from this batch, a 52100 "gyuto" with a modified (beveled front) Wa handle in ebony/bubinga, red and copper spacers. This ones going to my wife's family restaurant for an appropriate amount of professional abuse.
19-12-1.JPG 19-12-2.JPG 19-12-3.JPG 19-12-4.JPG
I've primarily focused on outdoor knives but these (2 yanagiba and 2 gyuto) were real fun and I'll probably try some more in the future. Any tips/critique much appreciated.

Here are the last two of 2018. Both have A203-e outer layer then 15n20 and a 52100 core with a coffee etch. First one 8 1/4 blade, stabilized koa handle, turquoise composite spacer and Damascus bolster. Second one has a 9 inch blade, spalted Oregon myrtle (stabilized) handle a domed bronze pin and bronze/g-10 spacer. Also I got to mess around with my new camera.
Thanks for looking and Happy New Year.
aPSj8NTl.jpg
Ei2NnuQl.jpg
U5Rh68um.jpg

e1fRGqGl.jpg
WTsk9zql.jpg
HdgkLimm.jpg

I love those two gilbert.blades are just lovely
Is that the 15n20 that's dark and near the edge or the lighter coloured steel nearer the spine?
And is there enough nickel in it to stop carbon migration when forging?
Here are the last two of 2018. Both have A203-e outer layer then 15n20 and a 52100 core with a coffee etch. First one 8 1/4 blade, stabilized koa handle, turquoise composite spacer and Damascus bolster. Second one has a 9 inch blade, spalted Oregon myrtle (stabilized) handle a domed bronze pin and bronze/g-10 spacer. Also I got to mess around with my new camera.
Thanks for looking and Happy New Year.
aPSj8NTl.jpg
Ei2NnuQl.jpg
U5Rh68um.jpg

e1fRGqGl.jpg
WTsk9zql.jpg
HdgkLimm.jpg

John mc c John mc c thanks yes that second darker layer is 15n20 the idea is at least the 15n20 has alot more carbon than a203e so migration will be better than the 52100 being next to the A203e (.250). It's a .064 layer of 15n20 and the core is .188 of 52100 after the initial soak I work the steel as quickly as possible with my power hammer to avoid migration.

Last edited:
Looks great Gilbert
I'm trying some soon but I'll be doing by hand
I've done San Mai before not go mai.i like the idea of nickel layer.and looks so cool

Almost done, just final handle waxing and final edge sharpening... Here's an R&D piece: wide bevel gyuto made out of Alabama Damascus with Honduran rosewood burl and yellow cedar burl handle. Blade is 245 mm long by 53 mm tall at the heel, or in other words 9.65 inches long by 2.09 inches tall in MURICAN. This HRB is freaking gorgeous wood and the pics don't come remotely close to doing it justice.

bXrfb2nh.jpg

sM7QAklh.jpg

TC4BCDQh.jpg

LsGlN7zl.jpg

Time to resurrect this thread...
A few recent kitchen blades, I'm kind of on a prep knife kick.

5" CTS-XHP kitchen prep with Amboyna burl.

S6MXgi5.jpg

5" San Mai from HHH Knives. The core is Hitachi Blue #2 with a SS shell. Curly Koa handle and African Blackwood ferrule.

oeItsyB.jpg

Here are a bunch of my recent kitchen knives. I'm still pretty new to this, so they are a bit rough around the edges (metaphorically, the edges are actually pretty smooth :p)
fdEA5fj.jpg

Petty/utility knife, with an iron bark and tallow wood handle

ZrqQNlM.jpg

Chefs knife with black palm scales. I was trying out a stabilised wood, these scales seemed to be poor quality and i'm not happy with the handle.

lxHJAKN.jpg

Another petty/utility, with a copper and jarrah frame handle. i really like the jarrah

LssNL6w.jpg

Cai Dao, with australian cedar handle. first attempt at a mirror polish on the flat, didn't quite get there

Back