MAKING A KNIFE FOR AN ARCHERY LEGEND-HELM FORGE

Many on here know that I'm a single string archer meaning I'm an avid bowhunter that uses a recurve as my tool. Growing up in the world of what is today called traditional archery there have been many legends. Ron LaClair is is one of these legends. I have long followed Ron's exploits and as impressed as I am with his many archery skills including trick shooting, accomplished hunter, Bowyer , etc I'm more impressed in how this living legend comes off as a true spokesman and ambassador to the wonderful world of single string archery.

This story starts with a friend of mine Bill Jinks

Bill is an archery buddy that I've never meet but got to know on the various archery forums over the years

A friendship between us has grown over the years and when he asked me about buying a custom machete/Bush Sword I referred him to a maker I know by the name of James Helm of HELM ENTERPISES

James is a past Forged In Fire Champion and an awesome maker and all around good guy :)

Well the rest is history

Bill posted his new blade which turned out to be one of James Bush Swords on some forums and Ron got a view of it and reached out to James to have him do something for him

I called James up and said man that's cool your making a knife for a living archery legend :)

James said he had known the name from Ron's Shrew Bow days and it would be a pleasure

I love seeing two great craftsman and people get together

This is a quick work in progress of what they came up with

But first the living legend Ron LaClair today at 81

[/URL]

Back in the day

[/URL]

Here we go with the blade

Rons blank is on the left

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

More to come

Pretty cool pic Joe my uncle had a coat like that he wore years ago I'm told along with an old Colt peacemaker.

Those pics of Mr. LaClair bring back a lot of memories. Back in college in Florida 45 years ago I shot a 48" single string recurve by Bear, as I recall. I loved that bow. Had to sell it when I moved to WV. Compound bows were just starting to show up in a few places but I was never interested in anything but that single string "bare" bow (no shocks, sights, or anything else).

Oh great. Now I want another bow so I can start shooting again. Just what I need... another "avenue" to rediscover and explore.

Well if anyone can shoot a bow with a Buffalo robe coat on it would be Ron! I shoot one of his bows, Super Shrew Samurai.
That is going to be a heck of a chopper!

Steve
----------
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS AP

I met Ron at Compton's a few years back. He's quite the character.
It's always great to see a project cross traditions and come to fruition.
Well done - to all concerned.

Hi Karl hope all is well

I thought you would know him for sure

Neoprene foundation, intact paracord underlay, stripped paracord overlay, three-strand Turk's head knot.

IMG_3395.jpg
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Holes and trim lines laid out. The two halves of the sheath are temporarily bolted together.

2D4AE41F-3D88-4744-AA94-A54ED1255C0A.jpg
[/URL]

Trimmed on the band saw, then rough ground on the belt grinder.

D0902EC3-6468-4570-A758-03A2A7AA4C30.jpg
[/URL]

The sheath is unbolted and any melted Kydex or dust from trimming or grinding is cleaned out

A9B952CB-7F80-4207-8677-02734C7AAEE1.jpg
[/URL]

The sheath is permanently riveted together. I use eyelets for .125" Kydex although I use .080" Kydex for the sheaths. It rolls a head closer to the factory heads.

After riveting, the edges are trued up on the belt grinder in case anything shifted in assembly. The corners are all rounded so there are no sharp points or edges. It'll get a final tweaking with a heat gun after the blade is sharpened and well-oiled to make sure that it retains the blade but is still easy to draw

The sheath is pretty much done for now.

963000E4-C279-4F51-99BD-860EF26F2F8D.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
This one is done and should be heading to Mr LaClair soon

Hopefully I'll get some pics with him using it

[/URL]

[/URL]

Wow! Impressive...! I mean the knives! Well... the maker too!

Steve
----------
Member, W.F. Moran Jr. Foundation
ABS Apprentice

Storm Crow your blades really have a hell of a unique motif. You really draw out those blocks of steel into some big blades, bigger than I expected when seeing them at Blade show. As cool as the forged socket handles are, those neoprene-slab handles are real nice for a chopper. Glad to see that.

Back