1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Making a kydex sheath

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Currawong, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    I made my first kydex sheath!!

For those of you on here who make your own - and particularly for the pros like Buy Brown, Azwelke and Mashed Cat - I have a whole new level of respect for the art and craft of kydex sheath making! To do this stuff properly - I found out - it ain't easy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My good friend, custom maker Michael at Katchi Blades, showed me how, lent me his workshop, and did the hard bits :D --- but I'm willing to call it mine. :)

Thought I would show some pics of the process of making it....

Three layers of masking tape go all over both sides of the blade (and spine) to create a small space inside the sheath to prevent rubbing and scratching
    [​IMG]

Sitting on the press, ready for the hot kydex
    [​IMG]

Both pieces of kydex get heated for a few minutes (until they are soft enough to be floppy) at about 100 degrees C (about 210 F).
    [​IMG]

Then quickly put the first piece of kydex on the foam, then the knife on top, then the second kydex on top of that, and clamp the top of the press down tight as fast as possible. The kydex cools and stiffens quickly! Leave it for five minutes until the kydex is cool and stiff.
    [​IMG]

The result
    [​IMG]
    I got it wrong the first time. There isn't enough room below the blade edge for the rivets, so I had to do it again.

What it look like on the inside
    [​IMG]

Cont....

gunspease and WatermanChris like this.
  2. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Ready to drill the rivet holes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting the rivets in. This tool (can't remember what to call it) clamps both sides of the rivet onto the kydex and squashes them together into a single piece
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rivets complete
    [​IMG]

Shaping the kydex on a belt grinder, so it follows the curving line of the rivets
    [​IMG]

Heating it up with a heat gun to shape it so it locks tightly over the handle
    [​IMG]

Lots of fiddling around with the heat gun: bending the kydex a bit, more heat, more bending... until it is just right
    [​IMG]

Cont...

3. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Creating the bridge: Cut the bridge to shape, then heat it in the oven until soft. Then it goes over a wooden jig (hidden under the kydex here), with two more bits of wood either side, all clamped down as quick as possible. Leave it to cool.
    [​IMG]

The result
    [​IMG]

Then drill more holes, put in rivets, attach it to the sheath and put on a tek lok
    [​IMG]

Using a bridge lets me use three screws for a super secure attachment. The bridge also helps the sheath sit out a bit from your belt so the handle doesn't dig into your side.
    [​IMG]

The finished product
    [​IMG]

I had a lot of fun making it !!!
    [​IMG]

4. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2018
    To bend kydex well, it takes a hefty investment of time and money. The guys you mentioned we have here on the forum are awesome! We are very lucky to have all this talent in one place that is open to all.

Thanks BF!

5. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Very very nice !!! I really like the bridge for Tec lock. Great job and great pics and write up :)
    Thanks for sharing

Currawong likes this.
  6. Chrisinzky

Chrisinzky Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Both the pictures of the process and the final product look pretty cool. Thanks for taking the time to share with us

Currawong likes this.
  7. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2018
    @Currawong - I love your write-ups and pics! First class stuff! Thank you for always doing this!

David Lennon and Currawong like this.
  8. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Thanks for all the pics! Good job man, sheath looks great. I would love to have the opportunity to make a sheath in Dave or Al’s shop! Kinda like how the kids do builda Bear. What a cool field trip that would be. Thanks for sharing some of the secrets of the pros!

Currawong and WatermanChris like this.
  9. blackhat

blackhat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Well done! Thank you for sharing with us. I learned a thing or two.

10. David Brown

David Brown Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :) Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2001
    looking good man, great write up.

11. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    That is awesome!

WatermanChris likes this.
  12. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    Really nice work!

I like the orange part that allows you to keep the tek-lok centered

WatermanChris and zombieassassin like this.
  13. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    That’s a great job on the sheath, I really like the bridge piece to space it out a little more thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures.

WatermanChris likes this.
  14. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Really great post, but, left me wondering:

Do you always use a Tek Lok in this manner - hinge down or do you carry tip up?

I've had a couple of times where it opened and the only reason my knife didn't fall off is because the hinge was on the top edge of my belt.

:thumbsup:

15. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Great work and nice tutorial!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. Currawong

May 19, 2012
    Thanks everyone :).

My mate suggested trying the bridge, I haven't used one before. I really like it.

Kind words from the master :D:). I'm not quite at your level yet.

This is for carry tip down in the normal way. I find it easier to take on and off this way. I just engage the lock to ensure it doesn't open.