Making Nylon "Stiffer?"

Fabric stiffeners, the first couple that come to mind are "commercial sizing" and simple starch. Spray starch and sizing are available at any department store and are easy to reapply when needed.

Starch is also available, though not as common in a water soluble form and can be thinned or thickened as needed to make a fabric very stiff.

I know there are others, I just need to sit and look them up. :)

Hi Folks
I know this is very late to the forum but that subject veered off topic a bit and because the question needs to be answered.

So here is a down and dirty but quick and effective solution.

1.Take your floppy case, (make sure it is indeed nylon or Cordura material) and has not been waterproofed (you know how to check that).

2. Stuff the nylon sheath with a wad of silicon based material. (You can use something as simple as pieces cut from a silicone baking sheet our other baking shapes. You'll understand why later) remember not to overstuff or when the process is complete or you won't be able to close the holder.

3. Put 2 to three light coats of clear or transparent Marine expoxy paint on the outside material. Each coat must be completely dry before you put on the next. (if you glop it on or the coats are too thick the paint won't set up.) !MAKE SURE YOUR SPACE IS WELL VENTILATED!
Marine level paints, resins, and finishes are highly flammable, and even more toxic when wet. It is highly noxious. Also, the worst fumes sink so make sure your pet buddies are not in the room with you.

4. When you're satisfied with the stiffness of your project let your sheath dry a full 24 hours after the last coat before you unstuff it. (The silicone based stuffing prevents the liquid from leeching and sticking the insides together.)

You're done. Very little expense and and extremely waterproof for a long time. Also depending on the size of the item, it floats.
A friend of mine has also used Marine based fiberglass resin. Unless you want sticky fingers, hair, clothes, and tools for life, don't use this method. You need to be highly skilled with fiberglass resin to use it.
Good luck
JAFO99

Back