Making Puukkos - Reference materials?

What good reading can you recommend on building puukkos. When I get done with my OCONUS tour of duty I would like to try my hand at making these wonderful knives but admittedly need some instruction. Thank you.

Alan

I'd start by getting a kit from Northcoast, Thompson's or Ragweed. They have good blades, parts, etc. and good instructions on crafting. That's how I got started, then moved to just getting Lauri PT blade blanks and going at it myself. Have crafted over 100 during my years of knife crafting.

Rich

Last edited:
The best book on puukko is by Bo Bergman. It is called "knifemaking". It has become pricy, but if you shop around you can still find one for a reasonable price between $30 and $40.

It has techniques and ideas that will keep you busy for years.

Some of his techniques are older methods, and you can probably think of more modern ones, but the basic info is timeless. Take a look at his use of slices of tree branches to make an elegant sheath pattern.

For a first project, stay simple. Make a simple puukko style blade from 1084 or other basic steel. ( or use a pre-made blade),and a basic wood handle.

When you have the basic process down, get a sheet or two of good birchbark from a craft supplier and make a birch bark handle. You will be proud of the outcome.

He wrote a second book on scandi sheeths as well.

One thing that I find important is to understand that the spine and straight part of the edge don't run parallel but taper towards themselves towards the point

"He wrote a second book on scandi sheaths as well."

Did that book ever get re-printed in English? A search shows a download, but I didn't see the book.

Is this the book you speak of?

51HC2ZP6G2L._SX395_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That is the original book. Hengelo was saying Bergman put out a second book on Scandinavian Sheaths. I haven't seen that book.

I have this one at home. It has good info on Scandi sheets, but I don't know if it exists in English

9783878706762-us-300.jpg
9783878706762-us-300.jpg

Found a pic on the net

Back