Recommendation? Making Spear from 5160 spring steel sheet by machining.

Hello everyone, I want some help.....
I have 5160 steel sheet (already heat treated). I am going to make a spear by using angle grinder (only machining).
So my question is that if I'm doing only machining, is again heat treatment required ?
Kindly elaborate the answer.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Keep it cool by using plenty of water. An old windex squirt bottle can help keep your work efficient. It takes a while to grind hardened steel with an angle grinder, but it works ok. Flap discs at 36-40 grit or the 1/4" grinding discs are the stock removal tools, cutoff wheels only for cutting since they can shatter.

It will be pretty hard to grind a spear from hardened 5160 and not overheat the edge if using only an angle grinder. However, since the spear will probably be mostly ornamental, the somewhat less hard edge won't really matter. As Justin said, keep it wet and cooled down. I would let a garden hose spray a mist of water on it all the time you are cutting and grinding.

If the spear is to be used for hunting or such, it would be smarter and easier to just cut and grind the spear and don't worry about harming the hardness .... and re=do the HT after you are done.

It will be pretty hard to grind a spear from hardened 5160 and not overheat the edge if using only an angle grinder. However, since the spear will probably be mostly ornamental, the somewhat less hard edge won't really matter. As Justin said, keep it wet and cooled down. I would let a garden hose spray a mist of water on it all the time you are cutting and grinding.

If the spear is to be used for hunting or such, it would be smarter and easier to just cut and grind the spear and don't worry about harming the hardness .... and re=do the HT after you are done.
I had mentioned sheet here but actually it is a plate of 9 inches long and 3 inches wide. So I think it is not too much hard to grind or cut it into the shape. Because I'm taking the whole length as the spear head length.
But definitely yes, I've to take care of overheating the edges.

Thanks Stecy E for your help.

Back