• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mammoth ivory scales large

milesofalaska

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
IMGP1235 2.jpeg

This is a single piece that could be cut up into scales or lay the pattern out how you want. https://www.milesofalaska.com/store/p289/Fossil_mammoth_ivory_alligator_pattern.html
Single fossil mammoth ivory piece 5 x 2 x 1/4 inches thick. Fairly flat on back solid no soft spots. Not enough material for most hunter stye scales but good for folder set, spacers, other projects. Deep strong alligator pattern $75 plus $8 shipping by flat rate. Total $83
IMGP1236 2.jpeg left the back view DSCN1615.jpeg left Another set for sale

Have this on my web site, here is the link to this exact item. Easier for me if you buy here - through website pay pal, and I can keep track of what items I have for sale where. I have sporadic internet service in a remote Alaska village. Or contact me for other payment methods. I have other scales, specializing in large. Some would make pistol grips or sword for large needs, as well as rough partial tusks, etc. Deals on bulk. Just got a dealer membership so I can refer people to my website. First-time doing so, so if I have misunderstood proper protocol, please correct me. Old enough to get forgetful, had issues with who ordered first, stuff up on multiple sites etc, hate confusion, (smile). Shows are slow, so moving more to the internet. Tucson fossil showed is a go-ahead and will be there with few hundred pounds of fossil ivory. So anyhow this exact set has the link that goes right to it. Be well everyone!

Wanting your YouTube videos. Very interesting.

Hello JT
So yo heat treat? You make videos of the how? I use a torch and only heat treat the edge (Or about half the blade). My hope is it only stresses the part I want to stress, not the entire blade. It would be fun to be able to talk to an expert on what happens to steel why and the various results and reasons. No I am not good at doing it the way everyone else does or flowing directions. Then what I do will never be as good as doing it how it's supposed to be done? So I get told! However.... (do I just stop there?) However I'd rather do it wrong, and know I was in control, and learn, know why it went wrong, then to have some else do it for me right, and I do not understand why it's right. It's not a knife I made unless I did the work. I come up with interesting results... that baffles me, but in a good way. It's just taken 20 years to get there! Ha! I love to hold the handle and feel the vibration of the steel in the quench. How it comes out is secondary. ha! I love the red hot and the hiss! I take a deep breath and savor it ... But anyhow again.
Mammoth ivory? I might know more about this been finding it working it for 40 years. Not big on the computer age, but understanding we need it and having fun with the camera showing the fining, the working, and hope others will learn or be entertained. So if you have or would make a video, do not leave out the sound of the quench. It could be used as a meditation go to sleep with a smile tape (!) Happy New year

Back