Manix 2 in Maxamet !

Anyone find it hard to sharpen?
G2

Thanks, the wait is killer lol

Merry Christmas to all of you guys and gals, and if anyone has a good video showing one of these cuttin' stuff up, please share, I've seen those box opening things and desk top deals, looking for a put to the test kind of review, something to tide me over until Tuesday! :)
G2

Just received mine the other day.I have to say the blade is finish is kind of weird.These must be really hard to finish,the one I have is a combo of regular stone washer and a couple of blotchy spots/lengths, like it has been used.Also the spine has been slightly rounded,I am guessing from the finishing process.

Arrived today, ya know how you wait and hope and wait on a new knife ? that was me, but I kept trying to curb my enthusiasm, glad to get it, and she is pretty/plenty sharp out of the box, more a toothy edge than a razor's edge which in real life does provide a more aggressive cut, unless it's cutting wood, then a more polished edge will be better but for the time being I will run with the edge it arrived with.

And nickedone your measurements were close to spot on as I also found it to be about .023 and some places .024/.025 but it cuts well.

My one nitpick over this is the blade grind, it irks me when I see waves along the blade, from the blade grind start it measures just out to 2" and there is a ripple that runs perpendicular to the edge, if the blades were hand ground on a 2" belt I'd say it was that old famous 2" marker thingy that some bladesmiths are plagued with, but not sure why this shows it as I don't believe they are ground out on 2" wide belts?

It doesn't seem to show the ripple down into the very edge, otherwise I would have returned it, but still, it is bothersome to me. If you just glance at it, you would never probably notice, but if you angle the blade up towards a light, you will see the light play along the side of the blade and dip down and out of a slight ripple, stronger on one side than the other but it is showing on both sides. And yes, I know, don't do that and it won't bother you... :)

I was carrying a Benchmade Triage 915, this comes in a bit wider but a lot lighter as you might imagine, so it will fill the pocket a little more. Blade shape is great as expected and grip is good and solid. Action of the ball bearing thingy is stiff, which I'm told will work itself in over time.

I am looking forward to see how well this steel holds up, that was the main draw for me to pick one up, yeah I know, steel snob right here ;) but hey, gotta look for something new all the time...

G2

So far, so good!

xy5Zveh.jpg

Thanks for the initial thoughts, Gary. Curious to hear what you think after a few weeks.

I'm thinking of the Native 5 Lightweight in Maxamet when it comes out next year.
Would love to hear more user accounts of Maxamet, especially related to toughness/edge stability. We know it's a monster in terms of abrasion resistance.

I'm thinking of the Native 5 Lightweight in Maxamet when it comes out next year.
Would love to hear more user accounts of Maxamet, especially related to toughness/edge stability. We know it's a monster in terms of abrasion resistance.
I've used my Maxamet Mule extensively for carving softwoods and it hasn't shown the slightest hint of damage, chipping or rolling.

I haven't had the guts to beat the crap out of hardwoods like I do with my 3V, 52100 and 1095 knives.

It doesn't show up as tough as 10V (A11) on Carpenter's steel diagrams and of course, less tough than M4 or 3V.

ce7030119d9cba670b48c0ee109e6399.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've used my Maxamet Mule extensively for carving softwoods and it hasn't shown the slightest hint of damage, chipping or rolling.

I haven't had the guts to beat the crap out of hardwoods like I do with my 3V, 52100 and 1095 knives.

It doesn't show up as tough as 10V (A11) on Carpenter's steel diagrams and of course, less tough than M4 or 3V.

Thanks for the comments and chart.

Any patina pics? Leaving my wet after food prep has not created any staining yet. M4 stained in similar situations.

Any patina pics? Leaving my wet after food prep has not created any staining yet. M4 stained in similar situations.
Mine is shiny still, but I wipe it with Frog Lube after each use. It has 5% chromium, which puts it in the ballpark as D2. But, there's a whooping 10% carbon too. So, I don't know.

Edit: this is my Maxamet Mule used as a camp knife outdoors in humid Florida!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think the carbon content is actually 2.15 % and it is the tungsten that comes in at a high 10%

In any case, both are tuff elements to have in a knife blade for sure!
G2

Yes it is!

Still using the edge it arrived with, very toothy and quite sharp still !

IMG_6504 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Ah, should have plenty of holiday tasks to test the mettle of Maxamet, Gary.

Nice photo, sharp contrasts for 3-D; the blade looks almost like a stone-wash finish.

Any chance of a photo showing the ripple you mention? ("What's the price? A dollar twice!" ooooold joke refrain ;)

kind regards

Thanks, and I would call that a stonewash finish if it were handed to me as well.

As to getting a photo of the ripple, on either side, I did try to light it up, but alas it's the equivalent of Haley Joel Osment being the only one that can see dead people, where I may be the only one that can see ripples ;) if it were deep enough to photo, it would have been sent back, so it is a very soft ripple that you can...or I can...only see when I hold the blade at just the right angle to let the light play along the side of the blade.

G2

Back