Manix 2 in Maxamet !

After cutting steak for lunch today....the blue hues are nice!

DSC08385_zpsajo3sube.jpg

That looks so damn cool!!!

One difference between the frcp/frn on my Manix and the frn on my Endural are the thin metal liners on the Endura. I believe the handle material on both knives is similarly strong. I prefer the lighter, unlined knife. Much like g10 handles without liners. These are also plenty strong without the unnecessary weight from the liners.

Anyone been using their Maxamet? I've been using this one exclusively at work since Christmas and haven't had to sharpen it yet! Amazing edge holding this steel has!

HERA3pJ.jpg

I touched mine up once to get it back to shaving sharp, but it was still cutting paper with ease. Not sure I like it better than M4 yet, but I'll reserve judgement until I put my own profile on it.

I just got one today, as usual for Spyderco it arrived very nice out of the box. Very excited to give it some solid use. Has anyone experienced any chipping issues yet?

Just got this beauty, holy hell, could this be the best EDC knife spyderco has ever made?!

q3OcT2x.jpg

jjdqfXr.jpg

kcV809B.jpg

For me it comes close if it isnt. I switched my knives today (been carrying the maxamet manix since I got it) and I already miss the manix, its going back in my pocket as soon as I get home from work.

It seems like everyone that picks one of these up, loves it. You don't see them often on the exchange and I am waiting to scoop one up...

Has anyone experienced any chipping or rolling?
If so, what caused it?

Last edited:
Has anybody some user pictures? Would like to see how the Maxamet is holding up after some time of general use.
BTW, bought one today :D

Has anybody some user pictures? Would like to see how the Maxamet is holding up after some time of general use.
BTW, bought one today :D

I'll post some up. As far as use, I have cut everything I can find and I literally have not gotten it to dull any appreciable amount. It just cuts, and cuts, and cuts.

The patina is coming along nicely. Not a forced patina, just through use. As a benchmark of stain resistance, my normal uses don't show patina on Cruwear at all, and even M4 doesn't patina as much as maxamet. I love it.

I have been carrying mine a ton since I picked it up in November. I have carved hardwoods, broke down tons of cardboard, done some food prep, cut up a bunch of soda cans making alcohol stoves and it has not shown one chip or roll and I am still touching up the factory edge. I LOVE this steel. This is the only knife that truly challenges my Cruwear Military for pocket time.

DSC04815_zpskmucjxtv.jpg

DSC04559%204_zpspjzaeprv.jpg

DSC04656%202_zpscrcdswgv.jpg

DSC04620%203_zps5ovudumz.jpg

DSC04396_zpshknggq3i.jpg

DSC04385_zpsczvstigx.jpg

The Spydie is finally here!
It's the Manix 2 lightweight Maxamet. And it feels like a beast in the hand! The weight fools you a bit because it is so lightweight. The frame is made of a frcp (fiberglass reinforced co-polymer) Only 3 ounces, thats 85 grams!!! As you can see in the pictures you can see that the frcp is milled out to save even more weight.
The ergonomics are very good. It also feels nice in a choked up position. The clip is a wire clip which I like very much. The lock is a ball bearing lock which is extremely strong. It sort of functions the same as a axis lock, only with a ball baering acting as the steel rod in a axis lock. The steel is Maxamet, a powder metallurgy alloy with a rockwell hardness of 68-69! From what I read it is not prone to chipping but further testing will show. It was one of the sharpest knives I ever got out of the box. I stropped it with a medium and fine compound and is hair whittling now.
A long therm review is on the way!

Enjoy the pics!

D89A69B0-D2FE-4720-A405-4DC09B9159D4.jpg

367E9615-B220-43A3-A7B4-D31827CF71A6.jpg

B6889EFA-2BA2-4A76-B8B5-5E92AB078E29.jpg

9F9E22D2-F4E0-4C2E-BE29-F98488EC6E77.jpg

This knife is like the Lotus of the knife world. ;) It has a great power to weight ratio and the handling is exceptional.

Sal should like that, he's a Lotus fan.

Today I found out that the Maxamet is pretty hard to sharpen with the Edge Pro Apex 4 sharpening system. It worked much better with the Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System with the diamond plates. I stropped it but didn't noticed much difference after stropping. I used 2 compounds, coarse and fine.

I used my manix2 maxamet to shave down the edges of some OSB board the other week. It was bordering on abuse. I ended up loosening up one of the pivot screws with the force I was using. I checked the edge later and found some chipping had occurred. Not surprising, however what was surprising was how easily and how quick the chips sharpened out . I was using a fine Eze lap diamond stone. I like this steel.

ive been reading a bunch on instagram, seems like chipping has been happening with the factory edge, but after repair it seems to go away, franky blades did some hard use testing and found no chipping afterwords. and ive only seen about 4 people say they had chipping with factory edge.

one guy took his maxamet manix2 to some Hot salt springs and it got heavily patina'd. must be do to all the minerals in the hot springs.

Back