Manix 2 in Maxamet !

I used the tip to cut the domes out of the bottom of a few soda cans a while back and recently I used it to open a can of soup in a pinch. I only used the first half inch of the tip for this but I had no chips, no rolls and no blunting. It was a little dull at the tip but I could not see any light reflecting of it so it wasn't that dull.

I have also deliberately carved through some hardwood knots as well as some hemlock knots. Hemlock despite being a softwood is very hard on edges. I have read that the knots have a lot of silica in them. Anyway, it took it all like a champ.

This has all been while running a very small 40 degree microbevel on the factory edge.

I couldn't love this steel more. For my uses and preferences it is outstanding. It is not very stainless but that is the least important attribute for me. It is a lot more stainless than a basic carbon steel and I carry those a lot too.

I have done the same sort of wood carving with my Maxamet mule which has my own 30 degree edge on it. The Manix came close to 30 but the Mule was, in Taichung fashion, rather obtuse. It reprofiled easy enough and I have been running it with a 40 degree microbevel on a 30 degree back bevel and it hasn't rolled, chipped or blunted through any of the knot carving or through a considerable amount of kitchen use. It hasn't seen much field use since it has been winter. The Mule is a satin finish and the Manix has a tumbled finish and the Mule definitely stains easier than the Manix. That tumbled finish on the Manix is smooth like glass.

If maxamet is only used to cut cardboard boxes and other mail, will a patina still form? Or is that only when using it for food prep or carving wood with moisture?

Us7myk1.jpg

Geeeez look at that patina. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. My maxamet just doesn't stain like that. Was that forced with the tomato?

Looks great. Thanks!

It's kinda forced/natural hybrid. I didn't stick it in vinegar or anything. I just smeared whatever vegetable or meat juice that I cut up for dinner!

It's kinda forced/natural hybrid. I didn't stick it in vinegar or anything. I just smeared whatever vegetable or meat juice that I cut up for dinner!

Nice! I'm so jealous that you live near Mark's by the way. I used to go to Marks every weekend to hang out with Randy and buy knives/make videos of the store. Even invited him to my wedding, that's how close we got!

Sadly we moved to atlanta which is a 3 hour drive. I'll be headed that way some weekend soon though!

Hit me up if you're ever this way. My wife and I usually stop by Hoover Tactical to shoot our MP5s and hang out with the crew there. I know Randy, but it's been a while since I've been in there.

At least you'll be close to Bladeshow every year!

Finally sharpened mine up. It sharpens far easier than I would've thought, given how long it holds an edge. Still running the factory angles as much as possible, really don't see a need to make changes there.

In a full sized G10 version with liners, this would be tied with my GB1. No problems at all with the LW version and it'd be the version I recommend to people, but I just like extra heft in the handle of a knife.

Nice! I'm so jealous that you live near Mark's by the way. I used to go to Marks every weekend to hang out with Randy and buy knives/make videos of the store. Even invited him to my wedding, that's how close we got!

Sadly we moved to atlanta which is a 3 hour drive. I'll be headed that way some weekend soon though!
JDavis??

My Manix Maxamet was in the mailbox today. It's raining here, so the only use it'll probably see today is opening mail & breaking down a couple boxes.

First impressions:
It's sharp, the edge & grind angle looks flawless, blade is centered, with no play, and I like the gray scales. Just what I've come to expect from Spyderco.

Once I get a chance to, I may end up buying a cheap user manix 2 G10 and blade swapping the Maxamet into the G10.

I did it once before with a s110v blade, and I think that this would be just as straight-forward.
----
I know some others (aside from myself) have swapped an S110v, but has anyone done a Maxamet yet?

I bought a Manix Maxamet yesterday.

Was choosing between Spyderco in S110V, Cold Steels in XHP and some nice Benchmades.

Almost bought Cold Steel Recon 1 for 70$ on auction site. But then I decided to get the best. I can't afford a lot of knives, the shipping is very hard.

Unfortunately, the postal service lost my Manix in S110V last month. It was insured but still, not a pleasant issue.

Also, I noticed that Maxamet, S110V and other newer generation supersteels make great knives in VG10, 154CM or S30V less attractive.

I can inform you of a mishap with a Manix 2 Maxmet - a friend was trying to cut a zip tie from a bicycle sit post, the edge cut through the zip and finally touched the metal post - a chip was created.

Got mine finally ! Did a mustard patina and it turned like this crazy blue iridescent. It looks really cool . Anyone else have a similar experience ?

Got mine finally ! Did a mustard patina and it turned like this crazy blue iridescent. It looks really cool . Anyone else have a similar experience ?
post a picture please, id love to see it.

Back