Manix 2 in Maxamet !

If it didn't cause or contribute to the warranty issue, why should it?

The warranty states that "Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening." Since this would be modifying the appearance but to a similar one that they have on another blade(every other Manix) I wonder if it would be permissible or void the warranty if something were to happen.

The warranty states that "Spyderco’s warranty does not cover damage caused by abuse, misuse, loss, improper handling, alterations, accident, neglect, disassembly, or improper sharpening." Since this would be modifying the appearance but to a similar one that they have on another blade(every other Manix) I wonder if it would be permissible or void the warranty if something were to happen.

Refinishing/polishing the blade will certainly result in voiding the warranty, but it shouldn't detract you from making changes/modifications that increase your pride of ownership. Should there be any problems that arise with your Manix, there are many on the forums that can help resolve the issue. In addition, I am certain Spyderco would still try to help in the best way they can (depending on the level of modification and severity of the issue), it just wouldn't be covered as a "warranty service" and may likely be a "repair service" with charges made to you (at which point, you will have to decide if the cost is worth the service).

Note, the above is all just an assumption. I've never had an issue with any of my Spydercos.

If you love the Maxamet Manix 2 and the only thing you dislike is the blade finish, I say refinish the blade. The Manix 2 has been in production for years and is, at this point, a tried and true design. I would understand the reluctance with modifying a new design.

Focus on the bold.
Think about what damage polishing could and could not cause. A warranty issue that could be caused by polishing might not be covered. A warranty issue that could not be caused by polishing would be covered.

I don't think Spyderco is really going to be splitting hairs about something like that.

As far as polishing Maxamet...good luck!

Would someone take a measurement of the thickness at the shoulder of the edge bevel? Just wondering how slicey this one is ;)

G2

Norcaldude-what did you use to retouch that edge? Diamonds or CBN? Just wondering what it takes with this steel. IIRC, Jim Ankerson seemed to be using a wet/dry sandpaper, although now I think he does have an Edge Pro, so maybe not. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Neal70

Would someone take a measurement of the thickness at the shoulder of the edge bevel? Just wondering how slicey this one is ;)

G2

Hi Gary,
I saw that your post was unanswered; I did not have a micrometer handy over here, so I took a crack at it with calipers (surprised I had these here--with WW tools!)

The grind is not exactly symmetric, nor evenly beveled for the entire edge, but is plenty fine and good for all but the pickiest of nits.
Thus I took repeated measurements along the length, and with the calipers oriented both from the presentation side, and from the obverse. Measured lengthwise three times form each orientation, as if I were preparing to cut once. ("Dang it, I cut off this piece of koa twice, and it's STILL too short!")

The shoulder of the edge bevel is thinnest at the start of the edge just ahead of the plunge line 0.023"
it thickens in a smooth progression to .024" halfway along the length,
likewise further towards the tip. One cm. from tip it measures 0.025" .

BhCTrrV.jpg

Not sure if that helps you much, but I can attest it is a good slicer.

And thanks to your prompt I found a few items which had been hiding away, out of sight and out of mind for a few seasons.

kind regards,
nickedone

Thanks! that helps, once I sell off a few things I will search one of these out I think ;)
G2

Norcaldude-what did you use to retouch that edge? Diamonds or CBN? Just wondering what it takes with this steel. IIRC, Jim Ankerson seemed to be using a wet/dry sandpaper, although now I think he does have an Edge Pro, so maybe not. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Neal70

I have a budget sharpening system I bought off of Amazon along with actual Edge Pro stones. I used that for the initial work and then some DMT Duosharp stones to finish it.

One on the way:)

And I agree that G10 would be nicer
G2

I dunno yet, shipped and expecting it next week
G2

Back