Manix 2 Lightweight or G-10

Hi All,

New here and fairly new to knives in general. For reference I currently have a Sage 5 Lightweight, Rat 2, and QSP Penguin.

I like the Sage 5 the most, but sometimes think I'd like a larger blade. I also like the idea of Benchmade's Axis Lock, so I'm thinking I might like a Manix, but don't know whether to go with the lightweight or standard G-10.

The main advantage of the lightweight is obviously the light weight. I also think I might like to have the BD-1N steel, just because I already have S30V in my Sage 5. But the steel isn't a huge deal either way.

The main downside of the lightweight seems to be that you can't take it apart. Many also think the scales feel cheap. I was able to handle one and it does feel more plastic-y than my Sage 5 I think, and the edges are pretty squared off.

The main advantages of the G-10 are that you can take it apart, and most say it just feels more solid.

The main downside of the G-10 is obviously the weight; but I wonder about this. I wear jeans, chinos, and chino shorts most of the time, with a belt. It seems the people complaining about the weight often comment about carrying it while wearing basketball shorts.

Some popular YouTubers say they like the lightweight version better. But when reading actual reviews, there seem to be more positive reviews for the G-10.

So I figured I'd ask here. I searched and and really didn't find much on this specifically.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention - this would just be for EDC. To be honest, mainly fidgeting, opening letters & boxes, and sometimes actually cutting real stuff.

I know it might be a bit much for EDC, but from reviews it seems a lot of people EDC a Manix.

I have one of the lightened G10 versions (REX 45 sprint), and it's still a fairly beefy knife. The "base models" use solid liners and the more exotic steel variants use skeletonized liners, resulting in a pretty significant weight reduction (BHQ lists the S110V w/ G10 version at 4.13oz and the S30V base model at 5.0oz). My main complaint about the knife is the absurd amount of jimping applied to the liners, which I found uncomfortable (see below, it's a lot of unnecessary jimping).
Spyderco-Manix-2-Dark-Blue-G-10-C101GPDBL2-BHQ-33051-jr-2-large.jpg

I solved the problem with a set of aluminum handle scales that eliminate the liners and reshape the handle itself. The lightweight model doesn't have either the jimping or weight issue.

As far as disassembly, between the peened lanyard tube and the ball bearing lock, it's fiddly (I found it more complex than an Axis Lock knife), so probably not one you're likely to take apart too often anyway. I believe both run on bronze washers (G10 ones definitely do, but I guess it's possible that the FRN version just runs against the plastic), so maintenance is fairly straight forward. You could also void your warranty and convert the pins to screws.

Unless you just enjoy the aesthetics of a heavier G10 knife, I would definitely go with the lightweight flavor. There is really no downside. And if you use it as a knife and not a pry tool or jackhammer, you will never wear out or break a lightweight Spyderco.

VhlloMh.jpg

There really is no downside to either variant.
I personally have the G10 scales on mine and love it. It's my main EDC. But I LIKE the weight and substantiality of it. Some would prefer the lighter version.
I think, either way, you've got a great EDC blade in your pocket. Just depends on what's important to you.

I get the FRCP handled ones (LW) and sand the insane gimping off. I freakin' love the M2LW and I wouldn't get a standard version specifically because of the gimping.

I have both, the lightweight imo is what makes the Manix shine. Small enough to disappear in the pocket and is plenty capable. The g10 is heavier and clunky, which if they left the original hollow grind then I'd forgive. Out of the 4 Manix that I've owned, I kept one lw and one g10 original grind.

Thanks for the replies - I just ordered the lightweight in translucent blue with BD1N, which is what I planned to order in the first place.

Any further comments appreciated as well.

I have a BD1 model (and S90V) and very much like the steel. I have BD1N in a gyuto and love it! It is a really good steel that I wish was more prolific. It's very amenable to sharpening but holds a pretty decent edge.

I may get a BD1N model instead of the SPY27. Haven't decided yet.

You’ve already ordered the LW, so it doesn’t really matter, but I really like the G10 version. It is fairly hefty, but that’s also one of the reasons I like it. Feels nice and balanced in hand. And as good as Spyderco’s FRN is functionally, I just prefer the feel of the G10. Now granted, I don’t have a LW, but I do have other FRN knives, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

A few have commented on the aggressive jimping, but it doesn’t bother me, especially when I’m working the knife hard. You may also find the overall knife (no matter what flavor) a bit wide in the pocket - and it is, but again, it doesn’t bother me, as I’m usually in jeans or hiking pants. Last issue you might encounter is how stiff/heavy the ball-lock can be. It’s not a one finger deal like an axis lock; you gotta get your thumb on one side, and a finger on the other, and really pull the lock firmly. The spring does ease up a little over time, but it never feels light like an axis. I was disappointed at first, but now that I’m used to it, I don’t like the loose and easy feel of an axis lock by comparison.

Regardless, you just can’t go wrong with a Manix in my opinion. It’s my primary EDC, and probably will be for a long time. Oh, and a pic for the thread:
LCUfnL2.jpg

Thanks for the additional replies, and for the photos to keep me hot & bothered... I just went with the free shipping from Knife Center, so hopefully it will still be pretty quick.

My birthday is in April, so I figured if I end up wanting the G-10 version, I'll have a valid reason to order one in just a few months.

Both are buttery smooth to open.

I prefer the CTS-BD1 LW over the S110v blurple G10 version I own.

The steel works better for me and the super lightweight scales feel better in my hand.

BD1 sharpens incredibly easy, and takes a polish fast. Also resists chips and corrosion well.

Hi All,

New here and fairly new to knives in general.
Welcome!

For reference I currently have a Sage 5 Lightweight, Rat 2, and QSP Penguin.
A fine selection!

I like the Sage 5 the most, but sometimes think I'd like a larger blade. I also like the idea of Benchmade's Axis Lock, so I'm thinking I might like a Manix, but don't know whether to go with the lightweight or standard G-10.
I have the Manix 2 Lightweight in translucent blue, with BD1N steel. I just love it. It does have a squarish profile, but it is shaped so well from the other dimension that it feels great in the hand. It is shallow, I guess, but the translucent blue is really a fun variance from the norm.

Re. the lock, I have Benchmade Axis Locks vs. Spyderco's ball bearing lock, they are not really the same. (or BM would have sued Spyderco) The Benchmade action is much, much smoother, and with a lot less friction. If it wasn't, no one would pay the "Butterfly Tax." ;-) With a good wrist flick, it will open one-handed. The closing wrist flick is harder to perfect. On a Benchmade, it's easy, both ways.

Re. Lightweight vs. G10: The nice thing (besides the light weight) about The Lightweight models is how the traction pattern is directional. It gives traction in the direction you need, but doesn't scrape up the pants. The textured G10 is grippy, but equally so in EVERY direction. It tears up pants more. (as well as costs more)

The main advantage of the lightweight is obviously the light weight. I also think I might like to have the BD-1N steel, just because I already have S30V in my Sage 5. But the steel isn't a huge deal either way.
S30V is a better steel than BD1N, but BD1N is perfectly fine too.

The main downside of the lightweight seems to be that you can't take it apart.
I don't think it really matters much.

Many also think the scales feel cheap. I was able to handle one and it does feel more plastic-y than my Sage 5 I think, and the edges are pretty squared off.
Yep, that's true, it does feel cheaper. But it works great and doesn't abrade the pants.

The main advantages of the G-10 are that you can take it apart, and most say it just feels more solid.
I don't think it's really more solid. It just FEELS more solid because it's heavier.

The main downside of the G-10 is obviously the weight; but I wonder about this. I wear jeans, chinos, and chino shorts most of the time, with a belt. It seems the people complaining about the weight often comment about carrying it while wearing basketball shorts.
The Lightweight series Spydercos really ARE lightweight, esp. compared to G10 models.

Some popular YouTubers say they like the lightweight version better. But when reading actual reviews, there seem to be more positive reviews for the G-10.
The Lightweight models work just as well, they just save weight and material cost, which then translates into purchase price.

So I figured I'd ask here. I searched and and really didn't find much on this specifically.
Thanks!
Looking at your collection, you already have a Spyderco Lightweight. Your RAT II has G10 handle scales; what do you think of them? They don't have as rough a finish as Spyderco G10, but you know what the material is all about. G10-clad knives just have a more dense feeling. I think you should go with one of the following options:

1) Get a Manix 2, but invest in the Maxamet version. Maxamet is truly awesome. If you don't hit nails or staples and you don't scrape with it, it holds its edge FOREVER. It is Rc 68-70 vs. Rc 62 of your S30V or 59-60 of the BD1N. This way, you get a larger Spyderco, with a new lock type and with a proper super steel blade. You do give up the translucent blue for a boring gray, though...

2) Branch out and get a Benchmade. Experience the super smooth Axis Lock. There's nothing like it, except Axis Lock clones. (since Benchmade's patent expired) Their entry level steel is S30V. I have a 550-1 Griptilian with the 20CV blade steel and smoother G10 scales, and it is probably my favorite locking folder. I also have a 940 "Osborne", which is a classic. It is very slim in the pocket for how long the blade is, and it has more more cutting edge than the Manix 2, because it doesn't have that giant forward finger choil taking up cutting edge. It uses a thumb stud, so it doesn't have the bulge on the back of the blade, like Spydercos do. Opening it takes a different technique, but with just a little practice, the blade just flies open. You will never have that kind of action on a Manix. (Manix 2 Lightweight is wide in the pocket, so it does take up some room.) Find a model you like and just drop the hammer.

I think you should branch out and try a Benchmade. Only bad thing about them is that their factory sharpening job is not as good as Spyderco's. It's a coarser grind and not as even. It needs a touch-up, right out of the box. Spyderco's factory grind is just about perfect.

I just read that you ordered the Manix 2 Lightweight. You'll love it, even if it's not as flippy as a Benchmade.

Get yourself a Benchmade for your birthday. Tell everyone you want Knifecenter gift cards. ;-)

Thanks for the additional replies, and for the photos to keep me hot & bothered... I just went with the free shipping from Knife Center, so hopefully it will still be pretty quick.

My birthday is in April, so I figured if I end up wanting the G-10 version, I'll have a valid reason to order one in just a few months.
Welcome Jason. The Manix 2 LW is a great knife. The lock on your new knife may be a little stiff at first but gets better as it breaks in . Good choice, enjoy :):thumbsup:
WJw0Wxm.jpg

Welcome Jason. The Manix 2 LW is a great knife. The lock on your new knife may be a little stiff at first but gets better as it breaks in . Good choice, enjoy :):thumbsup:

Just to clarify, it doesn't get MUCH better, it gets a LITTLE better. Still won't approach Benchmade. (and I'm not a BM fanboy)

If you want to approach Benchmade smoothness in a Spyderco, you've got to go with a Compression Lock. (but even that is not as good, IMO)

Back