Manix 2 Lightweight or G-10

I had both a light weight and a G10. I sold the lightweight. Just didn't jive with me. And I prefer the XL to the standard. All are great knives and besides being a little harder to actuate, they are as smooth or smoother than my Benchmades. Spydies use a different pivot design that allows you to get that awesome action easier than a Benchmade. But the axis lock is a ton of fun to play with I admit.

You should try a Shaman.

I think you should branch out and try a Benchmade. Only bad thing about them is that their factory sharpening job is not as good as Spyderco's. It's a coarser grind and not as even. It needs a touch-up, right out of the box. Spyderco's factory grind is just about perfect.

That's highly subjective and I disagree. It's fine to suggest Benchmade and express your appreciation of them but there are more factors to consider. I'll take Spyderco all day, every day.

I had both a light weight and a G10. I sold the lightweight. Just didn't jive with me. And I prefer the XL to the standard. All are great knives and besides being a little harder to actuate, they are as smooth or smoother than my Benchmades. Spydies use a different pivot design that allows you to get that awesome action easier than a Benchmade. But the axis lock is a ton of fun to play with I admit.

You should try a Shaman.

I know there are crazy people that like the xl! Hahaha, I used to have one, just way to big for my small hands, but I like seeing they still have folks that like them.

Lightweight

GM1WoVk.jpg

I know there are crazy people that like the xl! Hahaha, I used to have one, just way to big for my small hands, but I like seeing they still have folks that like them.

I think it's perfect! But I enjoy the standard model as well. Great knives either way!

I have a lightweight M2, sprint run, with xhp steel which I like very much. Seems to be plenty strong.

I have a skeletonized liner g10 M2 sprint run that I like even more.. 4.1 oz is not too heavy for my edc. Neither is 5 oz.
I never noticed the jimping on my Manix before. Now that I do, I like it. It gives me a better grip on the knife.

Thanks again for the additional replies.

My daughter actually has a Mini Griptilian, so I've had a chance to play with the axis lock; light & easy, and fidgety. I also got a chance to try a Manix 2 lightweight in a local store, so I've had a quick try of Spyderco's ball-bearing lock as well. The Manix was stiffer for sure, but the one I tried wasn't terrible. Hopefully the one I get will be OK.

I've also seen reviews and comments about the sprint run Manixes with skeletonized liners. It would have been great to have that option, but I just wanted to keep it simple and order straight from a retailer.

I don't compare the Benchmande Axis Lock to the Spyderco Caged Ball Bearing Lock beyond the most basic of digital mechanics for operation.

As you've discovered the Benchmade is much more fidgety. I do not like that lock as when it wears in and is disengaged the blade is just too sloppy for my liking.

The CBBL is stiffer but I prefer that as it affords me more blade control.

I also much prefer Spyderco's full flat grind to the typical Benchmade grinds.

Last edited:
uVgyXYr.jpg
d7DqTtw.jpg

Love the manix 2.
This is cv20 steel and the only one I have so I can't compare.
I hope you like yours as much I enjoy the one I have.

I have had both and I ended up giving the LW to my father. I have no idea what he does at work but the BD1N gets dull quite fast, but maybe that would be the same with the S30V. Personally I just like the feel of G10 more.

I wound up replacing my Manix 2 Lightweight with a Benchmade Bugout, and my G10 version with a Para Military 2. For my needs, the Bugout does everything I like about the LW better, and the PM2 does everything I like about the G10 better.

But if I was set on picking up a Manix 2, I prefer the G10 version. Better steel, more pleasing heft, and still a reasonable EDC weight.

Thanks again for the additional replies.

My daughter actually has a Mini Griptilian, so I've had a chance to play with the axis lock; light & easy, and fidgety. I also got a chance to try a Manix 2 lightweight in a local store, so I've had a quick try of Spyderco's ball-bearing lock as well. The Manix was stiffer for sure, but the one I tried wasn't terrible. Hopefully the one I get will be OK.
It will be just like the one you tried; always a bit more friction when the lock is pulled.

I guess it's down to how free-swinging you want the blade to be when the lock is pulled. On my Benchmades, the blade swings freely, but still has no side-to-side play, nor any front/back play when locked. That's what I like. Very smooth and easy opening. Spyderco just cannot compete, in this regard. I almost feel like the Spyderco lawyer had a bit too much say in the design of the Manix 2.

Eli, if your Spydercos are smoother than your Benchmades, then your Benchmades are either not broken in, have the pivot too tight or need a tiny drop of oil on each side of the blade pivot.

It will be just like the one you tried; always a bit more friction when the lock is pulled.

I guess it's down to how free-swinging you want the blade to be when the lock is pulled. On my Benchmades, the blade swings freely, but still has no side-to-side play, nor any front/back play when locked. That's what I like. Very smooth and easy opening. Spyderco just cannot compete, in this regard. I almost feel like the Spyderco lawyer had a bit too much say in the design of the Manix 2.

Eli, if your Spydercos are smoother than your Benchmades, then your Benchmades are either not broken in, have the pivot too tight or need a tiny drop of oil on each side of the blade pivot.

That isn't what I said, in fact I said the opposite. My Spyderco CBBL's are stiffer than any Axis Lock I've tried. I said I prefer them to be stiffer.

The CBBL and Axis Lock are very different.

I do not like the way Benchmade's flop around when the lock is disengaged. I also don't like many other aspects of Benchmade so I don't any. Just my personal preferences.

UPDATE - I just received the Manix 2 LW.

I think I'm going to like it. The ergonomics are great, and even though I've only had it in my pocket for a little while, it seems pretty unobtrusive.

It's very stiff though. I'll probably ask about that in a separate thread.

Thanks again for all of the help and the teaser photos. :D

UPDATE - I just received the Manix 2 LW.

I think I'm going to like it. The ergonomics are great, and even though I've only had it in my pocket for a little while, it seems pretty unobtrusive.

It's very stiff though. I'll probably ask about that in a separate thread.

Thanks again for all of the help and the teaser photos. :D

Are you talking about the action or the lock itself?
The ball-bearing lock is MUCH stiffer than the Axis Lock and its offspring, so don't expect the same sort of one-finger actuation.
The Manix LW runs on bronze washers, so there will be a bit of break-in; just hope that they didn't pin the pivot too tightly.

I'm talking about the action. My strongest spidey-flick only opens it about 3/4 of the way. It's like the detent is very strong, and I think the pivot may also be tight.

It takes a lot of force to move it out of the handle, and there's an audible "click" either the detent, or the beginning stage of the lock allowing movement. Then, there's just a lot of tension when opening/closing. Also when closing, it snaps closed. Does this sound like the detent or part of the lock's function? I'm still pretty new to knives.

I don't know if I should loosen the pivot slightly, or just try to work it in over time.

I also don't want to mess with it much in case something is wrong and it needs to be returned. That said, I kinda don't think anything is "wrong" with it necessarily.

When I first bought my Manix, the CBBL was very stiff, and a bit gritty. After a little bit of use, it got a little less stiff, and much smoother. Still requires both the thumb AND forefinger to work the lock, but I prefer it over BM’s Axis lock personally.

As for the action, I don’t remember what mine was like new, but it’s nice and smooth today. Falls shut easily with out swinging wildly, and absolutely no blade play.

Figure on yours breaking in nicely after a little use.

Back