Manix 2 not for me

So I am going to send back my brand new manix 2 s110v. I wanted to like this knife but it is hard to close this beast one handed. I had a few days off from work and carried it a bunch and really tried to break her in watching t.v. well this am I woke to some serious hand pain--carpel tunnel?--so I'm sending her back.

I'm able to close all my Manix 2s one handed. Have you tried loosening the pivot screw a very small amount? Then again, maybe the Manix 2 just isn't your cup of tea; and that's OK too.

I've encountered a total of one stiff caged ball bearing lock having handled roughly 10 Spydercos with such locks. The OP could just have been unlucky. That said, there is a certain motion needed to close a ball bearing lock that I can see causing problems for those with carpal tunnel or hand mobility issues.

Give it one more shot to make sure if it is your or the example you received. Like others mentioned, I have had zero issues across 3 different manix’s (2 standard and 1 lw). Unless of course you just don’t like the design.

My (old style, clear plastic cage) Manix 2 is fairly stiff - not enough to prevent one handed closing, though... even when my thumb hurts. Not broken in? Maybe - I haven't used it a whole lot; and I'm not the type to sit there repetitively opening and closing a knife, hoping it breaks before I do.

I can't close mine with just my thumb on the lock release, I need to use my finger on the other side, as well. I assume that the lock was designed this way to prevent unintentional disengagement.

I can't close mine with just my thumb on the lock release, I need to use my finger on the other side, as well. I assume that the lock was designed this way to prevent unintentional disengagement.

Correct, I've never even attempted to close it with just my thumb, hmmmmmm.

I own the standard LW version, seem to remember about a two week break in period for this one.
WJw0Wxm.jpg

I had my G10 model for years and it never got any easier to manipulate. Closing with just my thumb was impractically difficult, and I don't exactly have weak fingers. If you're hoping it breaks in and gets comparable to something like the axis lock, you'll be disappointed. I ended up selling mine as it just didn't get carried.

Also, they use bushing pivots so adjusting the pivot probably won't do anything for OP.

True enough... but my thumb is the joint that hurts (well, my knee hurts, too; but that is irrelevant when we're talking amount the manipulation of knife locks)

I had trouble learning how to close mine one handed too, the first day I swear the blade landed on fingers 10 times or more. I have relatively small hands so I still have to concentrate and get my other fingers caught in the clip. That’s how I close mine. Thumb and index extended, the rest I catch under the clip as an anchor point. It works well for me.

My purdy blue LW was very hard to begin with then broke in to the point where it's not too hard to close one handed, even with my old arthritic hand bones. I have plenty of axis/compression/liner/RIL/back locks and autos to play with if it comes down to that but the return for the stiff opening on the Manix is rock solid lock up.

I think people get too used to the anemic springs on the Benchmade axis locks. Yea it's stiffer, but it's by no means difficult. It's not designed for you to use one finger to disengage it. Index finger and thumb go on the lock, other 3 fingers go on the side of the clip, and the butt of the knife goes into your palm. Easy.

I think people get too used to the anemic springs on the Benchmade axis locks. Yea it's stiffer, but it's by no means difficult. It's not designed for you to use one finger to disengage it. Index finger and thumb go on the lock, other 3 fingers go on the side of the clip, and the butt of the knife goes into your palm. Easy.
I don't think it's difficult to use per se, but I noticed that I carried mine less because it was less nice to operate compared to an Axis lock, while offering no real benefit over the axis lock design. Meanwhile most people can probably unlock an axis lock with just their thumb without even having to think about it.

Back