1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Manix 2 not for me

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Cowboyfromhell666, May 29, 2019.

1. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    That can be problematic as well. An unintended closing or opening can ruin one's day. Love me some axis locks but the ease comes with some danger.

AF likes this.
  2. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    You're returning a knife that you carried for days?

3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Spyderco's ball bearing lock is superior to BM's axis lock. 9 out 10 axis locks will develop that notorious up/down lock rock. With Spyderco's BB lock, there's no up/down blade movement at all.

4. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I had one about 7 years ago that was crazy stiff,sent it back now it's great

5. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Return it and go buy one from the store where you can find one you like. Don't let that hurt finger go in vain

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  6. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I just meant without it requiring conscious thought or much effort. I've personally never closed one accidentally, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Have you experienced that before?

7. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I know everyone is different and the lock type or how they prefer it to work ...

I have never had any of my Manix 2s have any issue not closing easily ...

I never noticed a real "break in" period on them but it may get smoother as you use them ... I never payed much attention as the worked well.

I will second for longevity I find Spyderco's bearing lock to perform far after the few BM axis locks had developed some play.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    ScooterG and 91bravo like this.
  8. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    The stiff spring plus the smallish purchase surface area of the lock was enough to let mine go. Still got the ol' PM2 though. :cool::thumbsup:

9. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Yes. Several times until I started setting the pivot with some friction, just shy of "fall free".

10. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    No problems with either of my manixes. Once you get the technique down it's easy to use and it's not that hard. Both of mine are also drop shut free with no play.

I did have to get some finger strength built up though, just take a day off, the go back to using it the next day. Don't skip leg day! You'll be fine!

11. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Mine was fairly stiff to begin with. I say just keep using it. The more you use it you're hands will toughen and the spring won't be as stiff either.
    The combination of those two things will leave you with a smooth operating knife and a tougher thumb.
    Mine has broken in to the point that it closes one hand every bit as easy as my PM2.

Plus a slightly convexed edge on S110v from hand sharpening is crazy sharp and very tough. :)

12. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    That's what I was thinking. The OP should sell it if it is not defective. My Manix is fine. I really don't pay too much attention to opening, and closing subtleties. I have a bunch of knives that are "uncomfortable" to open, and close. My extremely stiff Cold Steel Rajah 2 will chop off your fingertip if you slip off of the thumb stud. I don't mind opening it with two hands.

AF likes this.
  13. Cowboyfromhell666

Cowboyfromhell666

May 13, 2019
    I'm returning it after carrying it only 5 days because of a 14 day return period and I don't want to get stuck with a $160 knife I don't like.....so there ya go

14. Cowboyfromhell666

Cowboyfromhell666

May 13, 2019
    I have a dozen spydercos I do like, thought the manix 2 would be a nice addition. Just not for me...

15. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Never had a Benchmade long enough to experience this lock rock. where did you get these stats?....and where did you get the stats that a BB lock does not get lock rock? I'm intrigued

16. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    No stats. I've owned tons of BM and Spydies over the last 20 years. From my personal experience, you can make a blade move up and down on an axis lock. Not so much with a BB lock.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  17. JBC6650

JBC6650 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    There's a tool for every job...
    In this case opening and closing the knife is the job. that must make you the Tool.

18. extrastout

extrastout Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I did not know the BB lock or the axis lock were that old of a design for these makers. Thanks for the heads up

19. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    The axis lock is actually older than 20 years. It came out in the model 710 in the mid 90s I believe. BB lock from Spyderco came along a little later.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  20. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Yeah a lot of Axis locks have up and down play right out of the box. I prefer the Ball Bearing lock for lack of play and stronger spring that gives me greater confidence that an accidental disengagement won't happen.

91bravo likes this.