Manix 2 not for me

I don't think it's difficult to use per se, but I noticed that I carried mine less because it was less nice to operate compared to an Axis lock, while offering no real benefit over the axis lock design. Meanwhile most people can probably unlock an axis lock with just their thumb without even having to think about it.

That can be problematic as well. An unintended closing or opening can ruin one's day. Love me some axis locks but the ease comes with some danger.

Reactions: AF
I had one about 7 years ago that was crazy stiff,sent it back now it's great

Return it and go buy one from the store where you can find one you like. Don't let that hurt finger go in vain

Last edited:
That can be problematic as well. An unintended closing or opening can ruin one's day. Love me some axis locks but the ease comes with some danger.
I just meant without it requiring conscious thought or much effort. I've personally never closed one accidentally, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Have you experienced that before?

I know everyone is different and the lock type or how they prefer it to work ...

I have never had any of my Manix 2s have any issue not closing easily ...

I never noticed a real "break in" period on them but it may get smoother as you use them ... I never payed much attention as the worked well.

I will second for longevity I find Spyderco's bearing lock to perform far after the few BM axis locks had developed some play.

Last edited:
The stiff spring plus the smallish purchase surface area of the lock was enough to let mine go. Still got the ol' PM2 though. :cool::thumbsup:

I just meant without it requiring conscious thought or much effort. I've personally never closed one accidentally, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Have you experienced that before?
Yes. Several times until I started setting the pivot with some friction, just shy of "fall free".

No problems with either of my manixes. Once you get the technique down it's easy to use and it's not that hard. Both of mine are also drop shut free with no play.

I did have to get some finger strength built up though, just take a day off, the go back to using it the next day. Don't skip leg day! You'll be fine!

Mine was fairly stiff to begin with. I say just keep using it. The more you use it you're hands will toughen and the spring won't be as stiff either.
The combination of those two things will leave you with a smooth operating knife and a tougher thumb.
Mine has broken in to the point that it closes one hand every bit as easy as my PM2.

Plus a slightly convexed edge on S110v from hand sharpening is crazy sharp and very tough. :)

You're returning a knife that you carried for days?
That's what I was thinking. The OP should sell it if it is not defective. My Manix is fine. I really don't pay too much attention to opening, and closing subtleties. I have a bunch of knives that are "uncomfortable" to open, and close. My extremely stiff Cold Steel Rajah 2 will chop off your fingertip if you slip off of the thumb stud. I don't mind opening it with two hands.

Reactions: AF
I'm returning it after carrying it only 5 days because of a 14 day return period and I don't want to get stuck with a $160 knife I don't like.....so there ya go

Spyderco's ball bearing lock is superior to BM's axis lock. 9 out 10 axis locks will develop that notorious up/down lock rock. With Spyderco's BB lock, there's no up/down blade movement at all.
Never had a Benchmade long enough to experience this lock rock. where did you get these stats?....and where did you get the stats that a BB lock does not get lock rock? I'm intrigued

Never had a Benchmade long enough to experience this lock rock. where did you get these stats?....and where did you get the stats that a BB lock does not get lock rock? I'm intrigued

No stats. I've owned tons of BM and Spydies over the last 20 years. From my personal experience, you can make a blade move up and down on an axis lock. Not so much with a BB lock.

I'm returning it after carrying it only 5 days because of a 14 day return period and I don't want to get stuck with a $160 knife I don't like.....so there ya go[/QUO

There's a tool for every job...
In this case opening and closing the knife is the job. that must make you the Tool.

No stats. I've owned tons of BM and Spydies over the last 20 years. From my personal experience, you can make a blade move up and down on an axis lock. Not so much with a BB lock.
I did not know the BB lock or the axis lock were that old of a design for these makers. Thanks for the heads up

The axis lock is actually older than 20 years. It came out in the model 710 in the mid 90s I believe. BB lock from Spyderco came along a little later.

Yeah a lot of Axis locks have up and down play right out of the box. I prefer the Ball Bearing lock for lack of play and stronger spring that gives me greater confidence that an accidental disengagement won't happen.

Back