Manix 2 not for me

The axis lock is actually older than 20 years. It came out in the model 710 in the mid 90s I believe. BB lock from Spyderco came along a little later.
1996 - McWilliams & Henry design. Kind of like the Triad lock relationship with Demko & Cold Steel.

So I am going to send back my brand new manix 2 s110v. I wanted to like this knife but it is hard to close this beast one handed. I had a few days off from work and carried it a bunch and really tried to break her in watching t.v. well this am I woke to some serious hand pain--carpel tunnel?--so I'm sending her back.
Zackly
Be prepared for the "get a gym membership you wimp" comments.
That's what I got when I did exactly the same thing. Well no actual hand strain . . . I just know how a mechanism should and could work and that aint it.
I have made my living for forty some years as a mechanic and have actually spent quite a bit of my life in a gym . . . translation : no stranger to using my hands.

Anyone who owns or has tried a Benchmade 940 (axis lock) or a Spyderco Paramilitary (compression lock) knows HOW WELL and effortlessly a little pocket knife lock can be made to work. There is just no reason to expend more effort than that, and Cold Steel I'm looking at you. I have baskets of CS Triad Locks but they have been overhauled by me to actually work well. I would have overhauled the Manix if it hadn't been riveted together (and if I had liked the knife more).

Try the Spyderco Endura 4 is my advice; I didn't care for back locks but theirs has grown on me.

Last edited:
After all these years Benchmade would have had the axis lock figured out o_O. Up and down play is a non user for me, at least my 3 out of 3 were fine for at least 5 years until they disapeared (they did develop side to side play). One solid spring it is! Sorry about your Manix experience cowboy. I never had one but from what I hear over the years, they are worth another try

Last edited:
So I am going to send back my brand new manix 2 s110v. I wanted to like this knife but it is hard to close this beast one handed. I had a few days off from work and carried it a bunch and really tried to break her in watching t.v. well this am I woke to some serious hand pain--carpel tunnel?--so I'm sending her back.

Try pinching the ball bearing lock cage from both sides before pulling it back. I use my middle finger and thumb to pull back the lock and push the blade shut with my index finger.

Have 2 Manix 2's ---the lock is fine------they rarely see any pocket time because of the width (blade/handle not side to side)

I love my Manix 2’s. I had an XL in which the spring was too strong. It can happen. I’d send it to Spyderco. Perhaps a slight mod on the spring is all it needs. It would be a shame not to have such a nice knife.

Back