Manix 2 Photographs

How does the ball lock compare to the axis lock? The axis can be closed with one hand. In another forum where Deacon posted (I think the spyderco forums), I saw that his finger was in the direction of the blade path when closing it, which makes me go huh. I thought the ball locks were supposed to prevent this.

How does the ball lock compare to the axis lock? The axis can be closed with one hand. In another forum where Deacon posted (I think the spyderco forums), I saw that his finger was in the direction of the blade path when closing it, which makes me go huh. I thought the ball locks were supposed to prevent this.

They do. I can open and close my D'Allara with one hand, although two is fine.

I would say that the BBL is more robust then the AXIS lock. Judging from what I have heard, it's easy to gunk up the axis lock with sand and dirt, add to that the omega springs questionable reliability. Many people have no problems with spring failure for years, while others have it fail in as many months.

The BBL (uncaged) is harder to use one handed then the axis, often involving a thumbnail to catch the ball and push it back. The knife is buttery smooth though. :thumbup:

Hooray for the bbls. Now if they could only speed up the release of the full sized Manix 2, I'd be all over it.

Hooray for the bbls. Now if they could only speed up the release of the full sized Manix 2, I'd be all over it.

Judging from the sudden release of the new Swick (surprise! :D), Ladybug Salt, Rock Lobster, Temp 2, and G-10 Poli, I would hazard a guess that Spyderco is fully into the 2009 production swing. Shouldn't be long now. :)

Judging from the sudden release of the new Swick (surprise! :D), Ladybug Salt, Rock Lobster, Temp 2, and G-10 Poli, I would hazard a guess that Spyderco is fully into the 2009 production swing. Shouldn't be long now. :)

I'd be inclined to believe that except Sal replied in another thread that the full sized Manix 2 wasn't even prototyped yet.

I may have to stick with the small Manix 2. :p

I'd be inclined to believe that except Sal replied in another thread that the full sized Manix 2 wasn't even prototyped yet.

I may have to stick with the small Manix 2. :p

:eek: You said full size. My mistake....:foot::eek:

I was really looking forward to the Manix 2 but seeing these pics pretty much killed that. No full flat grind and the fact that it's actually more like the Mini-Manix in size are fairly big failures in my book. I'm sure the knife will be excellent but the design just does not seem to be my cup o' tea.

Now I have to find a used Manix or two.

That sums it up for me. I already have a Mini Manix and don't like the size or feel. The Manix is such a phenomenal combination of size, shape, and ergonomics that it's pretty much the only knife I ever carry. Now I realize I may have to find another one or two for my future needs, before they're all gone. :(

Manix 2 looks great. It's high up my list. I'm especially pleased with its relatively small size--I sympathize with those who like their Manixes big, but personally, I just don't have much use for the larger knives.

That said, a few little complaints--nothing I can't get over.

As has been mentioned at length, full flat grind is probably the best way to do this blade.

The plastic on the "BBL" looks cheap to me, although I haven't seen that in real life yet so I won't judge it prematurely. And, at any rate, each iteration of the BBL has become more axis-lock-esque, to the point I can't really distinguish them anymore.

I don't mind 154cm, as long as the price is adjusted accordingly. I prefer S30V, but then, I guess that's obvious.

Anyway, looks great, can't wait to see one in person.

Oh, almost forgot, I'm not a fan of this Manix 2's Tenaciousesque clip. I wish we could get a proper wire clip on that model.

Having had a look at the RL, I think the RL is going to one-up this model, sadly. For now.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that people seem to pass all "plastic" off as low quality. What we refer to as plastic can encompass a wide range of materials that can vary dramatically in quality and characteristics. Some plastics work better in certain functions than metal.

It's unfortunate that people seem to pass all "plastic" off as low quality. What we refer to as plastic can encompass a wide range of materials that can vary dramatically in quality and characteristics. Some plastics work better in certain functions than metal.

I completely agree.

I'm totally with you here--it's just that, in this case, plastic isn't the ideal material. Don't get me wrong, it may be far superior to manufacture this part in plastic from an expense standpoint, but when you're actually touching the part, you'll feel the difference.

What has been taken for granted is that textures and materials have a certain rapport with most people. We're accustomed to a material for certain tasks or costs. Imagine buying your Ferrari with an almost entirely hard-plastic interior--it's not really worse than the fine leather padding on your dashboard, technically speaking, and yet--quite undesirable.

To be more precise, I don't claim that plastic is an inferior material in general, certainly not. I love plastics. I'm claiming it's not an ideal material for this application.

I'm totally with you here--it's just that, in this case, plastic isn't the ideal material. Don't get me wrong, it may be far superior to manufacture this part in plastic from an expense standpoint, but when you're actually touching the part, you'll feel the difference.

What has been taken for granted is that textures and materials have a certain rapport with most people. We're accustomed to a material for certain tasks or costs. Imagine buying your Ferrari with an almost entirely hard-plastic interior--it's not really worse than the fine leather padding on your dashboard, technically speaking, and yet--quite undesirable.

To be more precise, I don't claim that plastic is an inferior material in general, certainly not. I love plastics. I'm claiming it's not an ideal material for this application.
And I would respectfully disagree. The specific plastic used for the cage which surrounds the hardened steel ball bearing allows it to be made in one piece and provides natural lubricity. I doubt any alternative material would offer both. The cage is just a cover for the ball, nothing more. It's sole purpose is to aid in releasing the lock, it is not under stress at any time.

As for your other argument, I'd be willing to bet the windshield on a Formula I Ferrari is not made of glass.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

I think the plastic isn't a problem at all. The caged BBL on the P'Kal feels very sturdy, and the transparency allows to still clearly see the locking mechanism. I think it'll just take everyone a little time to adjust to the concept. :)

Have to say that I find it kind of amusing to see folks who think G-10 and CF are acceptable handle materials complaining about another type of plastic being used for a thumb-bob. :rolleyes:

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

I think the plastic isn't a problem at all. The caged BBL on the P'Kal feels very sturdy, and the transparency allows to still clearly see the locking mechanism.

Yeah, but one of these days I'm going to replace that cage with a titanium one.:thumbup:
Metal just makes me happier on parts like that.

Have to say that I find it kind of amusing to see folks who think G-10 and CF are acceptable handle materials complaining about another type of plastic being used for a thumb-bob. :rolleyes:

I think it can be explained in part by the idea that G10 and CF are known quantities to most knife enthusiasts, whereas the BBL cage plastic is comparatively anonymous and therefore lacks any kind of caché or reputation on its own.

Hmmmmmmmmm - I like the design, but I think I will wait for the larger model, hopefully with a full flat grind blade.

Sal, thanks for the updates, as usual you rock.

Chris

Back