Manix 2 Photographs

How come it's already on ebay but not on Spydercos web site?
how did they get it?
Neither are the Orange Moran Drop Point or the Sage II, both of which have been appearing on eBay and dealer sites for close to a week. Might just be Spyderco policy, to let their dealers have first crack at sales, or it might just be their web guy is on vacation. In all three cases dealers are (or were) rolling the dice to some extent, advertising on the basis of shipping notices before actually having the knives in hand. Some dealers may have received the Moran and Sage by now, but I doubt any dealer (or at least any outside the Golden area) has the Manix 2 "in house" yet.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Is there a new run of the Lum Chinese folders? I haven't seen an answer anywhere, but I've seen some indirect hints...

$89 shipped. I'm playing with my brother's right now. His was $82 shipped.

Don't knock it till you've tried it because it's a SERIOUS blade for sub $100. For all the patriots, this thing is 100% American and street price is only about $20 more than the full sized Grip. :eek:

Stout blade, amazing lock, G-10 all over, serious jimping, sharp as evil out of the box with one of the sharpest tips (albeit, still with a thick chisel to avoid snapping after heavy piercing) I have seen on a Spyderco. It's not quite as smooth as an Axis out of the box but you can be sure it locks up and wont let go! How many rapid de-employment situations do you encounter? ;)

Some of the meanest SD knives in the world are Hollow-Ground. You can whittle/open mail with this thing but it's definitely designed for heavier use. As for the 154CM I think we have been somewhat privileged over the years and forget we are all in the middle of a recession...let them make a price-point beast first and then play with exotic steels in sprint runs later (eg: Para, Mule, etc). I would even buy this thing in AUS8 or 440A without batting an eye it's that dang good.

If you want a FFG razor blade the Stretch FRN will be out pretty soon in VG10 and ZDP-189 ranging from $60-$100 im guessing. That's a 3.5", 3 oz cutting demon with screwed construction. :D

If you want a American bull dozer that cuts paper like a ZDP Chinese or Caly 3 you should check one of these out at the local knife shop. That is, if they aren't all sold out.

I think the Manix 2 can give the ZT 0350 a huge run for it's money. If A/O doesn't matter to you or the difference between 154CM and S30V, the Manix 2 sounds like a burr in the 350's saddle. They're within a 1/4" or less of each other in the important dimensions and the Manix 2 is quite a bit lighter too . . . Plus you get the awesome Spyderco finger choil on the Manix 2 ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like I'll have to rake some cash together for the Manix 2. :D Probably the VG-10/FRN Stretch 2 as well.

Mac 'n Cheese for a while here. ;)

Sounds like I'll have to rake some cash together for the Manix 2. :D Probably the VG-10/FRN Stretch 2 as well.

Mac 'n Cheese for a while here. ;)

Mayo sandwiches may be cheaper. Though if you still want to be fancy, you can have turkey sandwiches. I think I lived off of bread, mayo and lunch meat turkey for a few months. Got real tired of it, but the money you save!....isn't worth the price of malnutrition.

If it's a lighter design that is stronger than the original I call that progress. I do personally like the heavy feel of clunkers but I also realize that a lighter stronger design is just plain better if looked at logically.

This thing looks like it's made to be used. I read these forums and people have been whining to Sal to make a nested ball bearing lock on these new manix knives. I like the regular harder to disengage ball bearing lock better but in all honesty the nested ball bearing makes easier work of one hand closing. Like it or not that is a practical use improvement.

I like a full flat grind better also, what do you want to give up for it ? The G10 handles ? If it had FRN there would be plenty of whinning. A full flat grind would probably up production costs and S30V steel would for sure. How much better is a full flat grind in everyday use compared to a hollow grind for the average user.

This is also available with full Spyder edge which I personally like and find more useful for someone like me.

I am glad to see Spyderco prioritizing the making knives meant to be used in the real world over fashion statements again. I remember Spyderco knives as being called ugly by snobs and a blessing quickly purchased by real knife users who immediately recognized their function over form value.

If it's a lighter design that is stronger than the original I call that progress. I do personally like the heavy feel of clunkers but I also realize that a lighter stronger design is just plain better if looked at logically.

This thing looks like it's made to be used. I read these forums and people have been whining to Sal to make a nested ball bearing lock on these new manix knives. I like the regular harder to disengage ball bearing lock better but in all honesty the nested ball bearing makes easier work of one hand closing. Like it or not that is a practical use improvement.

I like a full flat grind better also, what do you want to give up for it ? The G10 handles ? If it had FRN there would be plenty of whinning. A full flat grind would probably up production costs and S30V steel would for sure. How much better is a full flat grind in everyday use compared to a hollow grind for the average user.

This is also available with full Spyder edge which I personally like and find more useful for someone like me.

I am glad to see Spyderco prioritizing the making knives meant to be used in the real world over fashion statements again. I remember Spyderco knives as being called ugly by snobs and a blessing quickly purchased by real knife users who immediately recognized their function over form value.

With the nested lock it is pretty easy to close. One-handed operation is possible but will be much easier when the knife breaks in. The spring tension is pretty stout which is not necessarily a bad thing. Really that's my only problem with the knife but it's even starting to loosen up as we play with it.

FFG vs Hollow will always be a debate and the knife-fans will usually favor FFG (well, the Fpyderco fans at least). I have a few HG razors (Cento3, Adventura, etc) but prefer the FFG as well. I could see Hollow being a cheaper process and also more aggressive looking for the non-knife intellectuals...it does look quite a bit more beastly.

If you look at the Manix 2 directly next to a Griptillian, it's obvious what Spyderco has done. Both are American knives with the same steel (minus the Ritter Grip or Cabelas Grip) and a similar grind style. BM favors the slender blades with a couple different grinds, Spyderco has the wide drop-point/modified leaf. Both have *similar* locking methods from an glance and one has G10 which we know is the big selling point for knife store traffic, "Want to hold them both?".

The Delica/Endura/Native has been a wonderful thing for Spyderco. Now with the cheaper Manix, and Stretch FRN on the way people have an option in the 3.5" blade department. If selling a bunch of HG 154cm Manix2's gets the blood flowing and new customers in the door, it would be nice during this economical time. Sometimes companies have to focus on logical/profitable business to afford future less logical/less economic ones.

Then Eric Glesser might just pull out the CF slabs and S90V in FFG. This way they have someplace to go rather than going "all-in" on the first hand. Plus, some of us have nice $80 "beater" knives to baton tree stumps with, jk. :D

With the nested lock it is pretty easy to close. One-handed operation is possible but will be much easier when the knife breaks in. The spring tension is pretty stout which is not necessarily a bad thing. Really that's my only problem with the knife but it's even starting to loosen up as we play with it.

FFG vs Hollow will always be a debate and the knife-fans will usually favor FFG (well, the Fpyderco fans at least). I have a few HG razors (Cento3, Adventura, etc) but prefer the FFG as well. I could see Hollow being a cheaper process and also more aggressive looking for the non-knife intellectuals...it does look quite a bit more beastly.

If you look at the Manix 2 directly next to a Griptillian, it's obvious what Spyderco has done. Both are American knives with the same steel (minus the Ritter Grip or Cabelas Grip) and a similar grind style. BM favors the slender blades with a couple different grinds, Spyderco has the wide drop-point/modified leaf. Both have *similar* locking methods from an glance and one has G10 which we know is the big selling point for knife store traffic, "Want to hold them both?".

The Delica/Endura/Native has been a wonderful thing for Spyderco. Now with the cheaper Manix, and Stretch FRN on the way people have an option in the 3.5" blade department. If selling a bunch of HG 154cm Manix2's gets the blood flowing and new customers in the door, it would be nice during this economical time. Sometimes companies have to focus on logical/profitable business to afford future less logical/less economic ones.

Then Eric Glesser might just pull out the CF slabs and S90V in FFG. This way they have someplace to go rather than going "all-in" on the first hand. Plus, some of us have nice $80 "beater" knives to baton tree stumps with, jk. :D

I agree with you . . . I also think the HG makes the knife compete with the likes of the ZT 0350 more right now because it beefs up the blade a bit more for those who may be inclined to use the blade for more than normal cutting chores. I have to say, side by side comparisons considered, I'd be inclined to take the Manix 2 over the 0350 before handling either.

Completely agreed.

The ZT has a nice profile to it. I'm not an AO fan but it's sure a tank of a knife (I do love recurves). The S30v is very cool but in my book it's not worth the extra $50ish.

For those who like AO folders, it seems to be a wicked blade with great features! :thumbup:

Any possibility of a full size model in the near future?
Sal commented earlier in this thread that a larger version is in the works, so the answer to your question depends entirely on your definition of "the near future".

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Back