Manix 2 Photographs

What is interesting is that the response over on the Spyderco website is much more positive.

Over there Paul posted a comparison pic next to a Tenacious. And there are a lot of similarities...and I got to tell ya' Unless the price point on the M2 is closer to the Tenacious than the original Manix...I'm gonna go with the Tenacious.

What is interesting is that the response over on the Spyderco website is much more positive.

Over there Paul posted a comparison pic next to a Tenacious. And there are a lot of similarities...and I got to tell ya' Unless the price point on the M2 is closer to the Tenacious than the original Manix...I'm gonna go with the Tenacious.

Judging from the size and the 154CM steel I'm guessing it will be closer, but don't expect it to be in the same range as the Tenacious.

Thanks for the nice photos & review:thumbup:

I'm going to pass on this one though.

Reasons= Too small(<3" blade),unnecessary/excessive jimping,hollow grind

I happen to like 154CM though.

I'll be patiently waiting for the Sage 2;)

Last edited:
Eric did very well in my openion! Some may not like the hollow grind but I'm fine with it, and man that is some lanyard hole. You lanyard types should like this one. One impressive package!

Thanks for all the photos and the advance look. The quality/fit/finish looks excellent, and the overall design, if you don't look too closely, is nice. But I did look closely.

The jimping makes it too busy. The steel has no appeal in today's super-steel market. The plastic button looks cheap and terrible. The lack of a full flat grind is truly sad. The knife is too small to be called a Manix. Nice try. No cigar.

Now, if you really want to tick me off, come out with a smaller Military with cheaper steel, plastic parts, jimping up the yin yang and make is a sabre grind.

Somehow this is the Manix I didn't expect :(

Lack of full flat grind really kills my interest, really. I am sure there is a good reason for this but TBH the Manix was pretty amazing as it was. I regret selling off two of my four Manixes now. I'm going to go fondle one of my remaining Manixes to comfort myself now.

I will be awaiting the large Manix 2 before I decide on whether I'm getting one. Sal never lets a bad design escape Spyderco's doors but I really wasn't expecting this radical a change to the Manix.

I don't frequent the Spyderco section here, but I have been (anxiously) waiting for info on the Manix2.
I have to join in the crowd and say this is not what I was expecting, this looks more to me like a cross between a Delica 4 and a Tenacious than an evolution of the Manix. I guess I was expecting Mr. Manix, not Miss Manix.

This design is a bit of a disappointment for me as well. Quite frankly, I haven't liked the ball lock Spydies that I've handled. Solid lock, but doesn't work well one-handed for me.

The hollow saber grind is a huge disappointment. I have no interest in that grind any longer. I'm sure somebody like Tom Krein could do some magic on this blade and make it look right, but why would I want to spend more money after dropping 120+ bucks on this knife?

The jimping all over the knife is ugly, and in my opinion not necessary. With the excellent G10 and handle design, the Manix is as secure in hand as any knife I've ever handled.

Guess my precious mini-Manix is all the more precious to me now. Sorry to sound so negative about this knife, but it's just been designed with a lot of things that I personally dislike a lot in a knife.

Another vote for full flat grind.

I'm happy to see the domestic steel 154CM though. :thumbup:

I like the steel and I think the lock is a cool change. The hollow grind and jimping are a turnoff though, this is obviously a conspiracy to give tom krein more buisness :D Like others have mentioned, I wasn't expecting this large of a change to the manix in one iteration. It seems less like a manix and more like a completely different model.

To improve the original Manix, all I would do is use a beefier pivot and offer a choice of high-end steels.

4 inch sounds intriguing too.:)

I like the ball lock, but I've heard the Manix is like the Chinook... tank like open/close. I wonder if the M2 lives up to it.

Oh yeah, toss some M2/4 steel on the blade to go with the FFG. ;)

Back