Manix 2 Photographs

I like it. I'd like to see the larger version. I agree that it's not entirely reminiscent of the original Manix mainly because it's less bulky or overbuilt. I think the ball lock is an improvement over the lockback. Lockbacks develop slop pretty quickly in hard use knives. They don't adjust for wear. Moreover, Cold Steel is using a similar but superior lock called the Tri-ad.

Biginboca had some good points. I might be coming around to this "M2." I agree it's not really a Manix, but in its own right would be a good knife.

:thumbdn: Booooooo!

It should be S30v with a flat grind, and there's alittle too much jimping.

Just looked at the Manix2 pictures again. I love it. The extra jimping, ball lock (awesome), and ergonomics are aesthetically pleasing to me. It's still snowing here, the jimping is appreciated. The first two iterations of the Chinook were hollow ground and outstanding. The 154 CM is a great steel. I'll wager it lives up to the family name sake in the field. As always Eric (and Team), nice job.

Sal, I'll pay for a copy to be sent to me and do a field test in the Uintas with my Scout Troop. I can write a review after we put it through Wilderness survival merit badge.

I like it. I'd like to see the larger version. I agree that it's not entirely reminiscent of the original Manix mainly because it's less bulky or overbuilt. I think the ball lock is an improvement over the lockback. Lockbacks develop slop pretty quickly in hard use knives. They don't adjust for wear. Moreover, Cold Steel is using a similar but superior lock called the Tri-ad.

Spyderco's backlocks do adjust for wear. ;) Someone posted great chinook take-apart pictures with closeup's of the lock.

FWIW, I've used mine pretty hard and still have absoluetly no play.

What i like: Ball lock and the lanyard hole
what I don't like: Jimping, screws, blade grind and form.

Th don't outscores the do's so no thanks.

FFG and it's a deal. I can't hang with that grind though. I like my Native with similiar grind, but that was $40.

What is the weight of this model? Sorry if I missed it, but I don't see it. The first one was too heavy for me.

Strange how so many people can really dislike a knife they have never tried:rolleyes:

The reason Spyderco dropped the Manix wasn't to be mean it was because it wasn't selling. If more people bought them they would still be in the lineup.

I'll try one and get one if I like it. Still a bit on the heavy side, but looks like a beefed up Sage which I like a lot.

Sverre

PS! Agree with people wanting a more subdued clip and FFG, but a good hollow grind works very well for a lot of cutting tasks.

I never thought I'd say this about *any* Spyderco knife...

DO...NOT...WANT!!

this is most emphatically *not* a Manix, it's a nice knife for sure, I'm not debating that, but any knife that bears the Manix name has a *LOT* to live up to, and I don't think this one lives up to it

First and foremost, the biggest problem I have with it is the hollow ground blade grind, that is *NOT* a proper Manix grind, it should be Flat Ground, the S30V Manix-1 cut far, far better and more effectively than you would think given it's thick bladestock and wide blade profile, thanks to the flat grind

Secondly, it's too small, the Manix is supposed to be a big bad bruiser of a knife, the Manix handle is one of the most ergonomic and comfortable handles I have ever used (right up there with the Dodo), I've never had a problem with the full size Manix's size or weight, clipped to the pocket, it's unobtrusive, it was unnecessary to put the Manix on a diet

I have no problem with the steel, lock style, or jimping, change the grind to full-flat, make it bigger and bring back the rear swell of the handle (S30V Manix size), and I'll happily buy two, as it stands, the current incarnation of the Manix 2 holds no interest for me

I think I'll start calling this knife the MINO* (Manix-In-Name-Only)

give this knife it's own unique name, as it does deserve a place in the Spyderco line, it just doesn't deserve the Manix name

* Inspired by the Godzilla fans who informally dubbed the American remake of Godzilla (the lame CGI hollywoodfest) "Godzilla-In-Name-Only"

Well often times the second iteration of anything goes south - i.e. Ford Bronco II ;)

I'd just rename it something else and let it fly then regroup for the Manix project.

I'm still getting one though.

I like it except for a few things.

Like everyone else is saying, I'd rather see it as a full flat grind, otherwise what's the point of this knife? Why not just get a Native and save the weight?

The biggest thing that'll keep me from buying this knife is the placement of the pocket clip. I like where the original Manix positioned the tip up carry clip holes, above the lanyard hole. I also know I'm in the minority, but deep carry pocket clips are a deal breaker for me. I don't like them, I like to be able to get to my knife without having to dig around in my pocket and potentially drag everything else out with the knife. If that means my knife is more visible, I don't really care.

Looks nice, but I'll have to pass. I was really looking forward to this because I never could talk myself into pulling the trigger on the original mini Manix.

I kinda think a lot of what's happening in this thread is all the hot air being let out of the balloon, which folks pumped up with whatever their own expectations were. I had some similar feelings and was a little bitter when the new JD Smith run was announced as being flat ground and foliage green rather than sticking to the original form. In retrospect, it was needless and rather childish for me to feel that way about a knife. It's going to be all right folks, we'll all move on. I'm not bashing anyone for expressing their opinion, just suggesting we should take a breath and consider what's worth being this upset over.

As for the Manix 2 itself, I'm not crazy about it at first glance. Then again, I've felt that way about other knives I ended up loving once I actually held and used them. It's hard to say never....

I think the attention to detail on all aspects of this knife will make it one of those knives that really feels and works great once it is in hand. I personally really like the jimping and love the ball lock. I would probably rather have a FFG, but I will give it a try before sending it off to Tom Krein to get reground. Hollow ground is WAY better than saber flat grind, and I have already heard of different variants including FFG S90V and FRN. I really think this platform is going to be great for being able to put out the high end materials (S90V/FFG) and lower cost but still excellent materials (154CM with possible FRN). There have been so many knives, mostly Spyderco, that I wrote off until I put it in my hand, and then I "got" it. Changing steels and grinds seem much easier than changing the handle and lock (look at the blade shape, grind, and steel differences seen in the E4/D4 and Military/Para platforms). Plus, a huge majority of people probably would have a very hard time trying to find a difference in properly heat treated 154CM, VG-10, and S30V, though I'm sure some Affis can. A blind test would be interesting to see.

It appears at this time to be the Mini Manix replacement when you look at it in size. I would bet a larger version to be a closer match in size to our beloved full size Manix will be on the way, and I really think the jimping and ball lock will be huge advantages over the original. If a larger version isn't on the way my hands would have to bee able to grip it without using the choil, and Deacon's pictures show that a full choiless grip will work, at least on his hands. I bet Spyderco will go FFG with most all variants of it after this feedback on the forum, but I bet the hollow grind will perform pretty darned good as is. My Manix is almost to the point of needing a regrind due to so much use and sharpening done on it that the edge is thickening, a 4mm FFG will thicken up like that where a hollow grind won't. I will probably get mine reground, but I think instead of bench racing it based on looks we should wait for some real life work and feedback on it before we condemn it. I may be one of the few to actually prefer well heat treated 154CM to S30V due to my mixed history with S30V. I personally would love to see the Manix 2 in CPM D2 or M4, but that sure wouldn't keep the price down to attract buyers in these tough times. I will wait for Deacon's impressions and handling the knife myself before I make up my mind, but the attention to detail I see in those pictures really make me want to trust Eric. He created a tough act to follow with the original Manix, but I don't think he would put out a second one if he didn't see it as an improvement.

Mike

I was really looking forward to the Manix 2 but seeing these pics pretty much killed that. No full flat grind and the fact that it's actually more like the Mini-Manix in size are fairly big failures in my book. I'm sure the knife will be excellent but the design just does not seem to be my cup o' tea.

Now I have to find a used Manix or two.

I totally agree here...that is why I started the Don't (totally) Change the Manix thread a month or so ago - and even though some agreed with me, most disagreed...well here is the new Manix-2...to which I will be sitting out as well. :(

Sal: Take this non-Manix II, honor it with its own name and sell it for all it's worth, downgraded steel, saber grind, plastic warts, jimping and all of it. We'll all wish you well.

But bring back the real Manix in sprint runs with a beefy pivot and high-end steels. Don't you make money off sprint runs?

I could not have said it better!

I kinda think a lot of what's happening in this thread is all the hot air being let out of the balloon

You have to remember the Manix has a huge following of devoted users, of course many will be upset with the failure of the Manix2 design.

They will be doing a re-vamped Military soon too. If they switch that to a hollow grind, I think armageddon will come.

They will be doing a re-vamped Military soon too. If they switch that to a hollow grind, I think armageddon will come.

I'm with you there. I guess I'm going to have to start buying up all the old models I can lay my hands on. Still no word as to whether the new clip will be backwards compatible.

Back