Manix 2 Photographs

will the frn version be hollow or full flat ground?

Good question, but Tom Krein can switch either grind to the other (I have had him go high hollow grind on my flat ground Caly Jr. and go FFG on my Native 3). At this point my Manix is getting close to needing a minor regrind due to the edge thickening up. 4mm flat grinds have a way of doing that over a couple years with lots of use and sharpening, especially if you have tto sharpen out chips.

Mike

Thanx Mike, We try to.

Eric is pretty busy right now so I'll chime in.

This model is the beginning of a long range plan. We also are not afraid to make improvements as we get feeedback for our customers as well as our own discriminating attitude in using our own designs.

Regarding the Jimping, Eric eliminated the jimping on the handle spine rear a while ago. He decided that it was abrasive to the hand going into the pocket past the knife. The rest of the jimping is quite useful, especially with gloves on.

On the steel, we're testing mid range materials to keep the price more competitive. 154Cm is no slouch steel. Eric also plans a full flat grind S90V version following this one. (he may have already begun the run). He likes S90V and he also likes full flat grind. But that's more of an "afi" model.

While we will continue to produce afi variations for you, me, Eric and crew, but we also need some lower cost variations if we are to serve all of our customers. You'll be seeing a number of good mid-range steels coming out in the next year as we balance cost and performance.

In defense of hollow grinds, every blade shape and grind have their advantages. A hollow ground blade is superior where one is not cutting very deep, such as in skinning. Cutting cardboard just using the thin portion of the blade rather than passing the spine through the cut. Line, cord, etc. a hollow grind excels.

The caged ball has worked very well. The "plastic" is really high tech stuff and will more than likely outperform most metals. What you might think "looks cheap" really isn't. High Tech materials have advantages.

The lock is strong, self adjusting and offers no play. the new Manix broke well into the "very heavy duty" range (MBC). It's stronger than the earlier Manix but at a lower weight and it's easier to clean. The beauty of the ball lock is that all of the strength is within a small area arojund the pivot and ball. Liners are not even necessary as in competitive locks. In addition, action on the ball locks is exceptional.

Think of it as a high-performance, light-weight tank.

He also plans an FRN version with texture like the E4/D4.

sal

Gosh, that is a whole bunch of good news in one post.

Thanks. :)

Sounds like Eric has a lot of cool stuff going on with this knife.

Eric said the larger one was 4" or better.

sal

Ok, I'm back on board.:D

The S90V/FFG version also looks attractive to me too. Will there be a different steel/FFG version/sprint of the larger one too? I'd buy at least three.

C'mon Eric! My Rukus' (Ruki?) need Spyder counterparts!:eek::D

Assuming competitive pricing, ....make it lighter...CYA Benchmade hollowground grips/minigrips. Make the 154CM in full flat grind too, make it 3 ounces, and you can BM goodbye.

I think enough has been said about the grind... but, yeah, I definitely will wait for the FFG version. I actually like the fact that the mini size version is being given first billing; it's perfect for EDC.

The repositioned clip is a big plus to me. Really deep tip-up carry without modification is an extremely nice change. :cool:

Any chance of forest green G-10 on the sprint run?

I think enough has been said about the grind... but, yeah, I definitely will wait for the FFG version. I actually like the fact that the mini size version is being given first billing; it's perfect for EDC.

I'm not waiting. FFG or no, I want another BBL Spyderco. That's the real selling point for me. :thumbup:

To the OP, could you post your impressions of the ball lock on this knife? Also, how would you compare it in terms of the Axis lock from Benchmade?

Eric said the larger one was 4" or better.

sal
Will the 4 inch blade version of the Manix 2 be released simultaneously as the 3.something inch blade version?

Speaking of release dates, any ETA as well as pricing for both versions? I'm itching for the 4 inch one. I missed out on the first Manix, but then I saw the Manix 2 and am glad I waited.

I'm not waiting. FFG or no, I want another BBL Spyderco. That's the real selling point for me. :thumbup:

Same for me. I pretty much asked for a knife such as the Manix-2 last year on the Spyderco forums. I thought a redesigned D'Allara would be first, then the M2 came along. Patiently waiting...

Just bumping this if that's allowed. Still curious about the answers to the questions I posed.

Will the 4 inch blade version of the Manix 2 be released simultaneously as the 3.something inch blade version?

Speaking of release dates, any ETA as well as pricing for both versions? I'm itching for the 4 inch one. I missed out on the first Manix, but then I saw the Manix 2 and am glad I waited.

The larger version has not yet beenptotyped, so it is a ways off.

ETA should be in the next 3-4 months. Price is about $130.

sal

Back