Manix 2 Photographs

Just checked out the pics and will make a few observations. Honestly, I hate to see the name Manix put on this knife. I don't like the open frame, the jimping, the plastic button and really don't like the grind on the blade. I do like the steel. The size is too small for my liking as well.

I have really been looking forward to this knife and now I have to say I sure am glad I have one of the originals. Still though, I have to hand it to Spyderco for always trying something new. This is a no purchase for me. I would love to see the original brought back. Sometimes you can't improve on perfection and that is what I thought the original was.

I'll wait for the 4+ inches version with FFG and better steel i.e, S90v, M4 etc. In the meantime I just bought temperance 2 to keep me busy :)

A thought or two, having not had my hands on the knife -

Part of the distress we are seeing here is that the original Manix (and mini) were so well-liked that any departure is likely to be seen as a step in the wrong direction.

For my part, I don't care for the appearance of the plastic button. I like the old back-lock (or is it called spine lock?) on the original, and the lock on the new one appears to require more precision to actuate. Its hard for me to fathom that plastic is superior to steel in this application, but I'm no engineer.

So, from not knowing anything about the new one except from the pics, I'd rather see the original brought back. That was one great knife, and I was sorry to see it go. I do have two of 'em to keep me going, though, plus a mini. :)

I'm still looking forward to the rest of the new Spydie lineup.

Edit: ok, lets not kid anyone - I'm probably going to get one. :)

Last edited:
A thought or two, having not had my hands on the knife -

Part of the distress we are seeing here is that the original Manix (and mini) were so well-liked that any departure is likely to be seen as a step in the wrong direction.

For my part, I don't care for the appearance of the plastic button. I like the old back-lock (or is it called spine lock?) on the original, and the lock on the new one appears to require more precision to actuate. Its hard for me to fathom that plastic is superior to steel in this application, but I'm no engineer.

So, from not knowing anything about the new one except from the pics, I'd rather see the original brought back. That was one great knife, and I was sorry to see it go. I do have two of 'em to keep me going, though, plus a mini. :)

I'm still looking forward to the rest of the new Spydie lineup.

It's a plastic cap on a hardened steel ball bearing. ;)

I have a feeling this is going to be a hot seller. Both the grind and the lock seem appropriate for a "hard use" knife, where strength is the primary selling point. Plus it has a steel people are familiar with, and the price is good for what you get. It's not my style, but it seems really well designed.

Looking at spyderco's website, the MSRP of a ZDP 189 Delica 4 is $134.95, and you can get one of those for around $85. There's no way a sweet knife like that one will be that price! But I'd like it if it was!

I've had pretty good experiences with 154CM steel. My Emerson is 154CM and it does everything I ask of it, and probably a heck of a lot more.

Regarding the original prototype pictures....I actually really liked the jimping all over the handle! It may not look as nice as a smooth handle, but it would be impossible to drop that knife...

Really cool use of the forum here with the feedback of users and input from Sal. Bravo.

It's a plastic cap on a hardened steel ball bearing. ;)

Well, my comment was in response to Mr. Sal's statement above that plastic was in some respects superior to steel.

But lets be clear about one thing - I have no idea what I'm talking about. :) :thumbup:

That is absolutely amazing! I don't know how you guys did that. I'll buy at least two.:thumbup::D

um yeah... I may not like it as a "manix" But for that price I'll take it for its own uniqueness!!

it's funny.. we're all coming up with our own ways why it's not that great, but when we hear the price we're all like "I'll take two!"

Back