Manix 2 xl blade play?

My manix 2 XL seems to keep loosening too much and I get blade play but if I tighten the pivot all the way down I can’t even open the knife? If I back off a bit it will flip quite nicely but after a few flips it’s too loose and I have blade play again and it won’t stay in that sweet spot

I don’t have a Manix 2, but I’ve seen an identical problem in my PM2’s. I manipulated the standoffs before tightening and found a “sweet spot” where the blade play was gone and the pivot was tight—but not over tightened. I assume it’s just indicative of slight tolerance changes depending on how the standoff sits against the scale. I hope this helps.

Try loosening the scale screws and then tightening them a bit at a time, one screw, then the other, then back, until they are tight, and see if that fixes the problem. If not, a trip back to Spyderco might be in order.

Try loosening the scale screws and then tightening them a bit at a time, one screw, then the other, then back, until they are tight, and see if that fixes the problem. If not, a trip back to Spyderco might be in order.
Should I have the blade all the way extended or half out or all the way in. Also should my blade be tightened all of the way or not?

I adjust mine with the blade locked just tight enough to eliminate any play while not so tight to affect deployment.

Also, loctite. Blue, not red. Adjust the knife to where you want it, then put it away for 24 hours. I hear Teflon tape works as well.

Also, loctite. Blue, not red. Adjust the knife to where you want it, then put it away for 24 hours. I hear Teflon tape works as well.

^^^ This.

Once loctite is in, you have about 10' to manipulate the Pivot, not longer. Clean the screws to make sure there is no oil on them. On a Manix {2|XL}, I tighten the show side Pivot screw (Pivot is D shaped there), and adjust the clip-side Pivot. I usually adjust just until play disappears, then you can still flick it. And make sure the blade is centered.

Roland.

^^^ This.

Once loctite is in, you have about 10' to manipulate the Pivot, not longer. Clean the screws to make sure there is no oil on them. On a Manix {2|XL}, I tighten the show side Pivot screw (Pivot is D shaped there), and adjust the clip-side Pivot. I usually adjust just until play disappears, then you can still flick it. And make sure the blade is centered.

Roland.
I tried loctite before but I didn’t clean the screw or the whole I will do that this time and I’ll remember to adjust the clip side thank you.

Back