Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, it was with great trepidation that I took on the task, as I'm not really setup to do things like that and grinding G10 just isn't something that I wanted to do, nasty stuff, so it was quick as I could, the grind could have been better, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the outcome and how the grip feels now.

Thanks again for the crew in Bulgaria, great fellows there and the Manly folks, they certainly can make a knife !!!

G2

There are great facilitators on this forum.

One of them has a Bulgarian connection and arranged for me to obtain a Patriot. Much thanks for that!. Have to say I'm extremely pleased with it. Been down with a cold so no pics, yet. I've done zip with it except handle it a bit and touch up the edge. So my comments so far are minimal.

I can say it is extremely comfortable in the hand and I consider it well balanced.
The ticket in the box says it is sharpened at 15° per side. Judging from results with the Sharpmaker I think that's accurate. The 15° setting seemed to match the existing bevel dead nuts.

I'm not a big fan of Kydex, but the sheath seems functional. I will likely poke a hole in the bottom as some of the other posters have suggested, though the chances of it getting wet here in So Cal are pretty slim.

Well, that's two Bulgarian knives that have become instant favorites.

Very cool Frank ! glad to hear you were able to land one of those as well, I'm liking mine quite a bit, very capable small fixed blade right there!

And take care of that cold, those summer colds are the worst!

G2

Well I bought one because of this thread. Bunch of enablers around here. :)
I don't really have any additional observations over what's been already said but I do love this knife. I don't think I could find a better value right now. The knife reminds of sodbuster with modern materials and a pocket clip. The 4 position stop is nice and the final opening "clunk" is satisfying. What really impressed me was the insanely sharp and toothy edge it came with out of the box. It just cuts very very well and I don't see myself carrying anything else for a while.

It just cuts very very well and I don't see myself carrying anything else for a while.

There's the bottom line for this thread and these knives.

Well I bought one because of this thread. Bunch of enablers around here. :) ...

Glad to be of service ;) and Frank, I agree it's a dandy of a pocket knife for certain!
G2

Still fighting the creeping crud, so I haven't played much with the Patriot, but did manage to get a couple of photos today.

Comrade and Patriot, side-by-side shot:
2016-07-24%2016.37.18_zpsauqkutdt.jpg

top shot of Patriot.
2016-07-24%2016.37.56_zps6xcga9bv.jpg

Nice knives. As Jason said, "It just cuts very very well and I don't see myself carrying anything else for a while."

Nice Frank, Green is good :)
G2

Well I bought one because of this thread. Bunch of enablers around here. :)
I don't really have any additional observations over what's been already said but I do love this knife. I don't think I could find a better value right now. The knife reminds of sodbuster with modern materials and a pocket clip. The 4 position stop is nice and the final opening "clunk" is satisfying. What really impressed me was the insanely sharp and toothy edge it came with out of the box. It just cuts very very well and I don't see myself carrying anything else for a while.

Wow, I cam here to post almost the same exact observations! I just received a green Comrade (from batosai117 through the exchange) and it is impressive. It really does seem like an "upgraded" sodbuster. The fit and finish on mine is top notch!
Bruce

Glad to be of service ;) and Frank, I agree it's a dandy of a pocket knife for certain!
G2

This is the truth! If it wasn't for Mr Graley and this thread, I would have had no idea of this knife's existence.
Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone about such a nice knife,
Bruce

Most welcome Bruce, and it was fortune that I found this myself, while it is very sodbusteresque in style, the clip does add a nice way of carry. I had started this off in the Traditional forum, keeping the clip side out of the picture...literally ;) as clips just are not so traditional, but the knife is very much so.

And the heat treatment seems to be pretty good, at least on these two, keeping their edges well.

G2

Now that be green :) did you patina that blade too?

G2

Ah, makes sense, I might end up getting one of the black/grey ones down the road myself, just a real solid folder.
G2

Aside from a couple of SAKs I don't own any other slipjoints, and haven't felt the need or urge to. Until now. While this one is a very affordable knife, funds are a little tight for me right now. This is on the to buy list though and I should be able to pick one up in a month or two. Thanks for a great review!

Nice Morrow ! looking forward to your pics!

And you're welcome moshow9, I've not found much if anything to fault the one I have at present, if I had a wish, it might possibly be to get stag scales, but then, I'm a real sucker for stag ;)
G2

Due to G2 twisting my arm without even knowing it, I ordered a Manly a few days ago to see what all the commotion is about.
Don't think I have seen the Black/blue version of the Comrade posted yet.
My somewhat reliable USPS dude should be dropping it off tomorrow.
Will post a pic for diversity's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back