Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, it was interesting to hammer that out, and it was LOUD doing it too lol, but worth it to me as I like a lanyard on a folder, makes it a bit more user friendly.
G2

Thanks g2 for the info,just ordered a peak in d2 and s90v crazy excited ,I really like the shape and have seen the manly d2 in action on bone cut test and held up superbly

Got mine today. Very nice knife. Ordered D2, but was upgraded to s90v because of the wait :)

Very sharp, thin even grind, solid lock up, great size. Even comes with the tools necessary to adjust the pivot and switch the pocket clip. What’s not to like?

attachment.php

As you can see, I tied a lanyard (or fob for you purists) onto the clip. It works quite well and is good for those of us lazier than Gary :D

Last edited:
Nice guys !

I’m looking forward to trying out an S90v also
G2

Some interesting designs. I'm eager to see what else they come out with as nothing so far is something I don't already have but I like the materials they're using and and the designs seem like they could be very useful.

The Peak I show gives a solid feel in use, meaning you're not afraid to cut hard with it if you need to and the point has some thickness to it so it doesn't seem likely to break off if you try to pry if you have to, not saying it is a pry bar, but it is, for it's size, pretty rugged, or Manly if you like ;)

The fixed blade is a bit stouter as you'd expect with a fixed over a folder, but still ground down so it cuts well too.

But, the world is full of all kinds of knives, it boggles the mind sometimes, like watching the road and seeing how many car styles you see. Choice is a good thing but can also stop you from making that choice, an old phrase, paralysis of analyses, gotta get off the dime and make a decision...sometimes. Indecision may or may not be my problem :)

G2

Hey g2 got my peak with d2 and spyderhole yesterday,an amazing knife been whittling and cutting cardboard took it to work and cut various items holds an edge nicely had to sharpen it when it came. Very nice value knife ,my s90v version is on its way(would have loved the brown g10 one),it kind of looks like it's the product of a CS Broken Skull and Spyderco Chowke had an illicit affair while vacationing in Eastern Europe :D

Cool beans sir, good folder.

Haven’t tried the S90v yet but I’d expect it to hold up great
G2

Hey g2 got my peak with d2 and spyderhole yesterday,an amazing knife been whittling and cutting cardboard took it to work and cut various items holds an edge nicely had to sharpen it when it came. Very nice value knife ,my s90v version is on its way(would have loved the brown g10 one),it kind of looks like it's the product of a CS Broken Skull and Spyderco Chowke had an illicit affair while vacationing in Eastern Europe :D
Congrats on your new knives. The brown s90 was limited edition for a Bulgarian knife forum. We can offer a limited edition knifes with custom color, logos, engravings, a serial number. My favorite for the Peak folders are very nice looking grey handles and stunning red handle for the fixed blade Patriots.

Last edited:
Btw i finally received my Peak (2h, cpm154, black). Finally because I got sidetracked, the shipping from messerundco here in Germany was super fast.
Only handled it a bit so far and sliced some paper and opened another package.

Really like the knife, the manufacturing tolerances could be a bit better, but for the price it is a super package and also so far the ergo' are great.
Thankfully this knife also fixes my biggest gripes with the comrad, namely too many stops when opening and closing (I know this is due to the peak having a lock) while still remaining legal to carry over here...

Certainly will carry it as my edc for a while and see how it works out.

A Manly Comrade just landed in England, directly from Sofia, thanks to this review. It was this review that introduced me to these knives in the first place, by the way.

I have been using it for a couple of days at work, and it is really excellent. What a beautiful design those guys came up with. It feels very good in the hand, it cuts like a beast, the edge retention is very good so far, and it looks fantastic. Seriously, just buy one.

After two days:

Qe9wROG.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice right there, glad it is suiting you!

Today marked a great day for me as well, a Patriot with CPM 154 steel and Desert Ironwood scales graced my doorsteps, an excellent knife and the sheath has good retention too. It comes with a belt loop attachment that you can mount in several positions, depending on your carry preference. The other Patriot I had only had a fabric type but this feels more secure.

Here's a quick photo taken tonight of her along side the sheath and belt adapter thingy,

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Thanks Lubo/Manly, very nice work!
G2

edited to mention that the belt clip thingy is NOT attached in this photo, just sitting near the main part of the sheath.

Last edited:
Very nice right there, glad it is suiting you!

Today marked a great day for me as well, a Patriot with CPM 154 steel and Desert Ironwood scales graced my doorsteps, an excellent knife and the sheath has good retention too. It comes with a belt loop attachment that you can mount in several positions, depending on your carry preference. The other Patriot I had only had a fabric type but this feels more secure.

Here's a quick photo taken tonight of her along side the sheath and belt adapter thingy,

Thanks Lubo/Manly, very nice work!
G2

edited to mention that the belt clip thingy is NOT attached in this photo, just sitting near the main part of the sheath.

Maybe it's the angle but your picture makes the blade look slimmer in width than the stock photo on the website. That's probably not good for my bank account even though I would go for the D2 version.

It's about straight on, below the blade I put some leather to prop it up so it didn't lie down at an angle, I just measured the widest part of the blade and it comes in right at 24mm just a tad under 1" wide, so it's not a fillet knife, it's not too chubby either, a subtle drop of the spine brings the point lower which for me works well as I'm not a hunter and don't require a large curved edge for skinning.

And yes, the bank account will probably taking a hit, these are very nice knives. The sheath's outer edges needed to be sanded down as they were pretty crisp from final sanding, other than that it holds the knife well. And removing any sharp edges on the sheath is pretty easily done without much effort at all, so not a big deal but would recommend doing it.

G2

Edited to add I think you are right, there must have been a slight angle to that setup as the photos taken later do show it as not quite as slim a blade, but, not by much ;)

Last edited:
Some additional photos, also I have been carrying this around the last few days, sheath works nice, belt carry right side vertical, to ease my mind I slide my finger tip down to the blade tip and guide it into the sheath, don't need any thinking leaking out of me that shouldn't be leaking normally !

The edge arrived sharp as I had said, more toothy which provides an aggressive cutting action, while not so much a push cutting action but being CPM 154 if I want to bring it to a mirror polished razor edge, I know that could be accomplished with very good results too. For now the toothy works better for me.

The handle has a torpedo kind of shape to it, sort of, where looking down on the spine it is narrow at the front, swells to a thicker center and narrows at the end, providing a pretty good grip, the ironwood is quite nice on this as well.

I haven't installed my normal bobtail fob yet but will be doing so in the near future as I like my fobs ;)

IMG_7025 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7026 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7028 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7029 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
added my bobtail fob on there now, with the whipping knot it keeps it from flopping around and makes a handy way to draw the knife, plus adds a little decoration as well, two tightly made diamond knots with a Viking rune bead in between.

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back