Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea Gary. Bet that makes the grip much better. Very nice picture of the Drugar. Wish Manly would offer the Drugar with the G10 configured like in the Comrade. that will make for a much grippier handle. Also have the option for dual coloured handles.
Great pictures and write-up on the Wasp. Can't thank you for it though, you have made me spend money for the Wasp.
You are costing me my friend.

Thanks Raj and as for you buying a Wasp, that's great, and yes the texture on the Comrade might be something they could fit in on this too, never hurts to ask or put the question out there as the Comrade was the first knife I bought that started this thread, excellent knife.

G2

Last edited:
How do you think the Wasp in Sandvik will do? Just ordered it. Too lazy, to,read whole thread, have you used the two handed D2 Peak for a camping trip?

Last edited:
The Sandvik 12c27 is a very nice steel, it will be a great little knife. Clearly, the CPM S90V is a bit better, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at a Sandvik Wasp! Don't have the D2 Peak, but I do have the similarly sized D2 Comrade and it was excellent during a two week trip to the Eastern Pyrenees, along with its little brother, the Wasp. :thumbsup:

Some comparison shots. Blade size of a military peaking from behind delica.
RApnQdBh.jpg

OQV303gh.jpg

Tcdb7Weh.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/bHCaDBr HD

It's hard steel no doubt, but the sharpening stones I have, Shaptons from 320 to 8k seem to work fine and doesn't pose a problem sharpening it, although the need to do any real sharpening hasn't come up yet, as it holds an edge very well, but, you'll want to keep it keen and not let it get to the really dull stage, but that goes for about any knife I would think ;)
G2

It's hard steel no doubt, but the sharpening stones I have, Shaptons from 320 to 8k seem to work fine and doesn't pose a problem sharpening it, although the need to do any real sharpening hasn't come up yet, as it holds an edge very well, but, you'll want to keep it keen and not let it get to the really dull stage, but that goes for about any knife I would think ;)
G2

I was kind of surprised to see the Spyderco hole on one of the current versions of the Manly Peak. With the hole, it looks very much like all the other "standard" Spydercos. Does Manly license the use of the Spyderco hole?

I think that was brought up a while ago, when I first saw that I wondered the same, but the hole is not circular, it is oval, possibly to be slightly different? But still you can not help but see a resemblance.
I have not handled one of that style of folder myself though.
I checked Spyderco.com forum and found a thread there about this very question, lots of controversy on patents, trademarks and the like, apparently the patent has expired, but the trademark is still very much enforced.
This being oval it may not fall under that trademark though?

G2

Well I noticed the knife, but missed the hole until I watched their corporate video which opens with a pretty shot of what appears to be a Spyderco. I knew that couldn't be real at those prices. I went back and looked and in the video and on their site the hole is a lot more round than oval, that's why the blade also has the distinctive Spyderco hump.

I love my Wasp in digi camo! The only small things I would change would be a slightly more pronounced finger choil and only one stop for the blade.

With all the different Manly knives, I'd love to see a slipjoint with a opening hole.

Sandvik certainly makes fine steel that takes a great edge, and tungsten not sure there's enough room for a hole on that blade, I do think it could stand to have some jimping at the top and bottom, I tried cutting some in on the top, but my meager tools didn't fair too well trying so I gave up after two small cuts into the steel, hard stuff !!!

And for the weekend I'll be carrying this as my main cutter ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back